+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mount & Blade Warband Napoleonic Wars Melee Help

Mount & Blade Warband Napoleonic Wars Melee Help

So, I've noticed that the melee is a bit off. I used to be really good at melee, but know I'm terrible! Any tips on how to get better at it, cause to me it just looks like a game of luck.

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Duel servers.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Quote Originally Posted by Baynard View Post
    Duel servers.
    Still getting one-hit owned.

A bunny with a hat Moderator Nikolai II's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Hoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

The melee system is supposedly very lethal in the NW DLC. One hit is pretty much one kill with bayonet.

So, practice your blocking? And duel servers sound like the best option, since at least the fight is over soon and you can join another one?
    FSM! I am convinced. Are you?
    IPU! I have faith. Do you?

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II View Post
    The melee system is supposedly very lethal in the NW DLC. One hit is pretty much one kill with bayonet.

So, practice your blocking? And duel servers sound like the best option, since at least the fight is over soon and you can join another one?
    Any tips on blocking please?

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II View Post

While it is certainly more deadly than in vanilla, it's not one-hit kill most of the time, unless it is cavalry charge. You should survive one bayonett attack.
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WiliamofOrange View Post
    Still getting one-hit owned.
    Go to Nditions Duel Server and go fight a (regular fighter) or (Trainer). They are bots that shouldn't be so hard to beat. I beat a Champion Fighter once - they are hard.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

A couple of things you should know:
    Bayonets are superior to swords in most cases, the reason being that they have superior range and are more powerful (one hit kills usually). If they have a downside its that they only have 2 attacks, up and down. This makes them easy enough to block (most people seem to attack underhand). The overhand attack is vastly superior to the underhand. The reason being that it has much longer range and their is no 'pull back' part of the animation, meaning it is harder to anticipate. The high blocking animation is apparently slower than the overhead thrust as well.
    An Incidental Empire - A Divergences AAR The Khmer Empire takes on the world

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2Rome Gold
    SengokuMount & Blade: Warband

If the guy charging at you keeps his rifle above his head - block up. If he keeps it at the waist level - block down.
    Calculate momentum, both your own and his - if you hit him on turn/run, he's most likely to die (oh how often I died from impaling myself onto my opponent's bayonet!).
    Don't be afraid to switch for sword, if you feel uncomfortable with the bayonet. Swords don't kill right away (c'mon, rly?), but you can stay at very close contact with your opponent, not letting him to gain any momentum with that bayonet of his, and all the while slashing at him from all sides possible.
    Try conquest maps - some of them are so tiny, that you appear like just behind the corner from the enemy, and don't waste time on waiting/running, just pure and constant practise. Deathmatches. Duels.
    Never give up!

+ Reply to Thread