• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was going to make a new thread called something something in a post TV World where I explain how I use my IPad as a TV remote but I will refrain. :happy: Cool way to play CK2 when your on the move or at least not at home providing the bandwidth etc isn't horrendous? A friend of mine had some app/script to allow him to play CiV with his Ipad but basically he had to be at home or in work due to connectivity/bandwidth. So whats the deal with how/where you run it and your connection?

maybe showing us a video of proof? other than that i dont believe that it would work on an ipad , not saying its strong enough to handle it ,its just you gotta show us some proof lol

No, implying that he doesn't have a $1000+ 30'' monitor...
Did you buy one? :)

$1,000? Where are you shopping? I just bought a 37" 1080p LCD TV for less than $500 that also has a PC input and I'm using it as my primary monitor, and when I'm not using it as a monitor it's used as a TV while I'm on the treadmill. CK2 looks great on it at 1900 x 1080, btw :)

The resolution is not the problem. No tablet has anything like the CPU or GPU power to handle the sheer amount of data in EU3 or CK2. I give it at least 3 years, more like 5, before current apps like that can be handled on a tablet.

And of course, in three years, CPUs for non-Tablet computers will be three years better. So while an iPad v2015 will almost certainly have the horsepower for CK2, it's not likely it'll have it for CK3 or EU4.

Nick

Please don't make this into a hardware flame-a-thon.

No offence but PC gamers like console gamers, are very protective of their platform of choice. Wallienator did not start making this a "Flame-a-thon, the statesment "Paradox in a Post-PC world" is rather volatile and seems to suggest that the PC is on it's way out. Whether that is the case or not you made the title, therefore it was up to you to make a title that was no inflammatory.

That being said I appreciated your thoughts on the idea of paradox mobile gaming. I personally use Android based systems but nevertheless it was an interesting read. Thank you.

I'm sure you have data to support this claim.
I need data to support my claim that PC CPUs and GPUs are hugely more powerful than tablet ones?
However, I think you may underestimate the power of mobile cpus and gpus (ARM, PowerVR...) and optimization
And I think you overestimate their power, vastly. They make them the minimum possible hardware spec to accomplish what they need to, so as to reduce power usage and heat generation. Doing anything else would be deranged for a mobile device.

I use Logmein everyday at work and it works really well for working with windows. I have tried running Victoria II on my home pc over logmein. It is very laggy and I have to turn the resolution down to black and white on logmein to get it to run at all (and I have a very good internet connection at home and at work, much better than a 4g cellphone). I would be surprised if the OP can run CKII very well on the IPAD. It is not impossible but I think that it would seem to run very slow and the graphics would not update fast enough for the game to be fun and playable. It may be playable on the slowest speeds~~~~maybe maybe maybe. nonetheless it is a very cool idea and I hope it's possible in the future (and very well may be).

$1,000? Where are you shopping? I just bought a 37" 1080p LCD TV for less than $500 that also has a PC input and I'm using it as my primary monitor, and when I'm not using it as a monitor it's used as a TV while I'm on the treadmill. CK2 looks great on it at 1900 x 1080, btw :)
I think he was referring to the 2560x1600 resolutions mentioned above. I think I've seen one 27" with that resolution, all the rest are 30" and very pricey. For PC gaming we really have been "hurt" by getting stuck at 1080p due to the glut of monitors/tv with that resolution. I've been holding onto my 24" Sammie at 1920x1200 for a while now. I want a 27" but am waiting for new resolutions and/or glasses free 3D before I jump on a new one.

Actually your monitor resolution is inferior to the iPad: FYI the iPad that came out last march has a resolution of 2048 by 1536 pixels.

You miss the point: big resolution & big screen > big resolution and small screen.

In point of fact, I'd rather play 1900x1200 on a 24" screen than 2048x1536 on the iPad's much smaller form factor (displaying really, really tiny little images and text, making the game unplayable)

The high res on an iPad is great for image quality of photos and videos. It's crap for serious gaming due to the physical screen size.

Lamentably, in relation to CK2 or really any Clausewitz game out right now, going past 1920x1080 is pointless. You gain no additional clarity/quality given the inherent graphics of the game. I'm assuming the ipad 3 and android tablets as well can paint a fullscreen game in a lower resolution and scale it up to their native res. If so, CK2 or other games could use a smaller resolution, thus putting less strain on the GPU in the device. Single threaded performance in tablets I don't think is enough for the calculations that take place in a Pox game, but if and when Paradox ups their threaded performance, the newer quad core and eventual 6 or 8 core tabs will likely be able to push some derivative of their games.

It really boils down to making a game that is fun given the controls at hand.

Given Apple's (or was it Steve Job's) well known description (or hope?) of the evolutionary direction of computers, it seemed like a not terribly esoteric reference to iPads or tablets more generally. (Whether Apple is right is a whole different question that we can leave for another forum to sort out.)

Job's is also well known for throwing jabs and insults at competitors, which is where the whole "post-PC" statement came from not some evolutionary directory of computers. So yeah, throwing around "post-PC" is flame-bait and encouraging confrontation.

I need data to support my claim that PC CPUs and GPUs are hugely more powerful than tablet ones?

And I think you overestimate their power, vastly. They make them the minimum possible hardware spec to accomplish what they need to, so as to reduce power usage and heat generation. Doing anything else would be deranged for a mobile device.

I'll give you a hand with your excelent comment from another thread:
As repeatedly stated above, the number of CPU cores and their Ghz are irrelevant. The PROCESSING POWER of the CPU and GPU in a tablet is not up to that in an everyday desktop or laptop, not remotely. EU3 DW requires vertexshader 3.0, pixelshader 3.0 and 128mb of video memory, and on top of that the CPU offloads much on its data processing onto the GPU. Show me any tablet that comes close to those specs.

Would people be interested in seeing me play CK2 on my iPad?

While I think you're a blatant corporate plant, sure. Post the video.

And for everyone getting anal about it not running on the ipad, lighten up. The original post was misleading, but "play CK2 on my iPad" doesn't necessarily imply anything other than that he is playing CKII using the ipad as an interface.

EDIT: About the plant issue, whether you are one or not, it would do a lot to improve your credibility if you didn't write your posts like one.