• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That actually sounds pretty good, especially if you're a MMO raider..no more pesky bio/sandwich breaks ;P

Fred Wester said something about getting some Paradox games on the iPad, but I guess it's legit to do so, as long as it doesn't blow the EULA. I don't own an Apple device, but thought I'd say that.
Lawyers can get up to some really weird shit, I haven't actually read the EULA, and even if I had I doubt I'd understand the legalese therein; but it's pretty hard to imagine anybody would stop a guy who paid for a game, ran it on a PC with legal Windows; but instead of using his Mouse/Keyboard and Monitor he used his iPad's touchscreen as monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I really hope that at some point in the future tablets get powerful enough that CK? runs on them, but that day is not today. And it's probably not in the foreseeable future, either.

Nick

In this instance the iPad is being used as no more than a glorified monitor/keyboard at an alternative location to the Desktop. But the "post-PC" bit is indeed BS as its running on the PC, which is why it ought to be EULA-legit.

Its really not much different to a KVM-switch.

At the risk of sounding like adding fuel to the flames, I'm actually quite curious how CK2 will run on a next gen W8 tablet.

Failing that, some kind of cloud-save solution so I can continue the game between screens. :)

Personally I think the iPad is a useless platform for pc based games, given the resolution restrictions, keyboard and connectivity issues.
I like the comfort of playing serious games on my pc at my pc with all it has to offer.

Actually your monitor resolution is inferior to the iPad: FYI the iPad that came out last march has a resolution of 2048 by 1536 pixels.

At the risk of sounding like adding fuel to the flames, I'm actually quite curious how CK2 will run on a next gen W8 tablet.

Failing that, some kind of cloud-save solution so I can continue the game between screens. :)

You could implement cloud-saving now, I think. Use eg. dropbox, and set the CK2 save folder to be in the dropbox folder. Or look up symbolic links, if you can't set where the savegame folder is.

Cloud saving Paradox games is not really feasible until they implement compression to their save games. I couldn't imagine constantly uploading a 50 MB save file every year of the game.

Cloud saving Paradox games is not really feasible until they implement compression to their save games. I couldn't imagine constantly uploading a 50 MB save file every year of the game.
Especially considering they compress down to a mere fraction of that. Would be interesting to see an option to save your games compressed. The zlib and xz libraries are both open source so no charge to add them to the executable.

Actually your monitor resolution is inferior to the iPad: FYI the iPad that came out last march has a resolution of 2048 by 1536 pixels.
The resolution is not the problem. No tablet has anything like the CPU or GPU power to handle the sheer amount of data in EU3 or CK2. I give it at least 3 years, more like 5, before current apps like that can be handled on a tablet.

Current-day tablets are not small, thin PCs or laptops.

The resolution is not the problem. No tablet has anything like the CPU or GPU power to handle the sheer amount of data in EU3 or CK2. I give it at least 3 years, more like 5, before current apps like that can be handled on a tablet.

I'm sure you have data to support this claim.
However, I think you may underestimate the power of mobile cpus and gpus (ARM, PowerVR...) and optimization: have you seen what the Playstation Vita is capable of, for example?

I'm sure you have data to support this claim.
However, I think you may underestimate the power of mobile cpus and gpus (ARM, PowerVR...) and optimization: have you seen what the Playstation Vita is capable of, for example?

I would have thought the limiting issue with small form hardware is cooling?

I've said this for years, since I read of the Onlive concept. To me this type of games fits perfectly well for Onlive (and any other 'streaming video' concepts like Logmein). Not for action games, but for games like this where the screen doesn't change much, you can have the same gaming experience wherever you play it with minimum requirements. Sadly, Onlive doesn't seem to be interested in this, only in twitchy games which don't look good at all to me since they have to lower the resolution and you get all sorts of artifacts.

Let me warn you about Logmein due to my personal experiences with them: They automatically extend time-limited subscriptions without notifications and they do not accept subscription cancellations via their website or via email while their €2/minute subscription hotline keeps you in a loop forever. In order to get rid of their "services" I had to force Visa to stop the payments. Thus I would recommend people to not encourage such business practices.

Is this a joke thread? The OP is just using Remote Desktop s/w to view the game on his ipad that is RUNNING on his remote pc! I could probably do it on my phone :p

Ez

Don't the devs have a working native version of CK2 for iPad anyway? I think I read that somewhere on these forums at one point.

For those who think tablets don't have the power to run these games... well, just think that games like Baldur's Gate are set to be released this summer. Things are coming for these machines and it's going ton e quite interesting to follow.

Implying 2560x1600 and higher monitors haven't been around for years.

Or that a little mini screen is somehow acceptable compared to 22 inch plus sized monitors because of a high resolution. A lot of cretins are very confused when it comes to resolution ever since this new iPad has been released.

Post-PC world... sure... if you say so.