• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

neondt

Game Design Lead
Paradox Staff
77 Badges
Jul 24, 2011
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
The succession laws in the Russian principalities are currently exclusively agnatic-cognatic gavelkind. I don't think this is a very good representation of the Rota system. Admittedly some historians doubt the existence of this system, but historians have also doubted the existence of the feudal system as a truly representative social structure too (I'm inclined to agree with them, but this is a game about feudalism so that's fine). So I claim innocence by association.

Anyway. I think the Russian principalities should have their own unique succession laws. It'd be a sort of mix of gavelkind and seniority. The idea is that brothers inherit before sons, and after that the sons of the eldest brother. Senior heir gets the primary title, younger heirs get other duchies. Only family members with a Duke-level title or the children of Dukes can inherit (this might be hard to implement). It's a lateral model rather than the current form of gavelkind which is linear. Furthermore, the principalities should have agnatic law rather than agnatic-cognatic.

This is a rather specific suggestion, but utlimately what I'd like to see is Paradox giving Russia some love

I wouldn't be surprised if Eastern Europe got some love in one of the major patches, including an exclusive succession law.

The Byzantine Empire will also probably get a unique succession law down the line, I wouldn't know how to simulate their successions otherwise. Even with elective you end up with a Doukas on the throne in 1453.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eastern Europe got some love in one of the major patches, including an exclusive succession law.

The Byzantine Empire will also probably get a unique succession law down the line, I wouldn't know how to simulate their successions otherwise. Even with elective you end up with a Doukas on the throne in 1453.

I hope so. I don't know much about kievan Rus, but that would be cool. Successions laws? For Constantinople? Let's say it this way: never raise your hand in a sword fight. :p

I hope so. I don't know much about kievan Rus, but that would be cool. Successions laws? For Constantinople? Let's say it this way: never raise your hand in a sword fight. :p

My Byzantine succession law would work like this;

If a character reigns for 10 years he can name a successor, before that time the most powerful vassal inherits.

If the ruler dies his successor takes over (Either his heir or the most powerful vassal) and all his direct vassals get the option to support his claim or the claim of either one of the pretenders. This garantuees an *interesting* Byzantine empire until 1. the succession law is changed or 2. Crown authority is at maximum.

Using this system it would be possible for the player to lose the Byzantine throne but since he can get it back quickly it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and whoever becomes emperor should automatically gain Constantinople if it's within the Byzantine realm.

My two cents.

In Medieval Russia county inherits you!