• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eridan Ampora

Captain
91 Badges
Apr 10, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Ancient Space
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Knights of Honor
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
So I was playing that scenario where the Russians have a small fleet based around a Kirov battlecruiser, and NATO has the airbases in Iceland and Scotland and a destroyer and a frigate in between (I can't for the life of me remember the scenario name). Anyway, I detected an enemy sub not too far from my fleet, and because it was close I threw everything I had at it. All three torpedoes from my helicopter missed, as well as one from my P-8 that was circling around. That missed too. I fired another 5 or so torpedoes from my P-8, and one of them managed to hit and damaged the sub, which surfaced. I thought it would be an easy kill now, but all 5 remaining torpedoes from my P-8 decided to miss, and I only managed to kill the damn thing with the last remaining torpedo from another helicopter I had brought in.

While all this was happening, one of my subs got detected and was promptly sunk by a single torpedo. So, am I doing something wrong, or does NATO ASW just suck?

Well, as the game is now, Nato ASW torpedoes are slower, and Russian subs are faster, so you have to micro a bit more carefully as Nato. We've updated the speeds (apparently the difference is more due to marketing than actual weapon and unit capabilities) so this will be much more similar in the next build. However, even now you can easily experience the same when you try to kill Nato subs as Russia. Luck is a part of it also.

Fly your helo until you're almost on top of the Russian submarine then launch all your torpodoes.

In general, modern ASW is more difficult than late WW2, subs are quieter, faster and harder to find.

You can google articles about the experiences of HMS Gotland, a swedish diesel-electric sub. It was lent to the U.S. Navy to take part in ASW exercise 4-5 years ago. The sub was very hard to find and penetrated the ASW screen almost at will.

It is you

trololololo

So I was playing that scenario where the Russians have a small fleet based around a Kirov battlecruiser, and NATO has the airbases in Iceland and Scotland and a destroyer and a frigate in between (I can't for the life of me remember the scenario name). Anyway, I detected an enemy sub not too far from my fleet, and because it was close I threw everything I had at it. All three torpedoes from my helicopter missed, as well as one from my P-8 that was circling around. That missed too. I fired another 5 or so torpedoes from my P-8, and one of them managed to hit and damaged the sub, which surfaced. I thought it would be an easy kill now, but all 5 remaining torpedoes from my P-8 decided to miss, and I only managed to kill the damn thing with the last remaining torpedo from another helicopter I had brought in.

While all this was happening, one of my subs got detected and was promptly sunk by a single torpedo. So, am I doing something wrong, or does NATO ASW just suck?

Try this:

1. Direct your unit toward the target, wait until it's close before launching
2. Enable your launch options (B key)
3. Select your torp, select min ammo, and then select BEARING ONLY option
4. Aim the bearing line just a little bit ahead of the target's nose and then launch

The bearing only function made a huge difference for me in getting kills with fewer torps.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will have to try the one CrazyBait suggested, as I have been attempting to fire from different angles at the same time, but even they tend to miss. I imagine a bearing only launch will be much better on a sub that has lost 97% of it's health and is basically sitting on the surface too.

My strategy for an efficient kill with only a Boeing Poseidon is to do a figure of eight formation at half speed.

aswstrategy.png

I'd also approve of General Baker's strategy, it's quicker but I found used more ammunition in the process. Although if you had real patience, you'd wait for a helicopter to arrive to one shot it.