• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ivan Rogov

Lt. General
43 Badges
Jun 1, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
The Bear & The Eagle - Russia 1399-1821 (A CK : DV Conversion AAR)

The Bear & The Eagle: Russia 1399-1821

Russian_Royal_Standard.jpg

eu3game002.jpg

ALL HAIL VASILII I, BY THE GLORY OF GOD TSAR OF ALL THE RUSSIAS AND BULGARIA, KING OF SERBIA, PRINCE OF ROSTOV, POLOTSK AND CHEREMISA, COUNT OF PEREYASLAVL ZALESSKY, ROSTOV, UGLICH AND BURTASY.

pfrggfp.png

King Vasilii I Rurikovich. A brilliant leader. In the first fifteen years of his reign Russia saw the most territory added since the reign of Kalojan the Great some 250 years earlier.

pote4.png

Crown Prince Radoslav. Modest, suspicious and skeptical, but possesses a keen mind for administration.

advisors.png

onsfo0.png

Sheriff Asli of Desht-i-Kipchak. Responsible for overseeing all tax collection in the Realm. A brilliant accountant and administrator. Firm but fair.

opsdfg.png

Marshal Vykintas of Grassland Cheremisa. A superb military reformer.

evpraxia.png

Chancellor Evpraxia Skleros. Beautiful. Modest. A mind like a steel trap.

Last edited:
The Story Thus Far

* The current kingdom of Russia began as Pereyaslavl under Grand Prince Vsevolod in 1066. After a series of short wars, the Kingdom was declared by Kalojan "the Great" in 1140. Serbia pledged vassalage around the year 1100. Bulgaria was conquered from the heathens between c. 1150 and 1375. Astrakhan / Cumans - the Polovtsi - began to crumble after a savage war with Esfahan (Persia) around 1330. Russia easily subjugated several breakaway Polovtsi states, and Vasilli successfully conquered half of the remaining Polovtsi territory in a war that lasted from 1376 to 1378. This included the Battle of Hlynov which has entered into Russian epic lore after a miraculous last-minute reinforcement saved the Northern Army from almost certain defeat.

* In 1084 what has come to be known as "The Cataclysmic Heresy" (die umwälzende Ketzerei) was committed by Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV. The HRE was plunged into civil war, Henry was deposed and the HRE, for all intents and purposes, ceased to exist. Around 1250 the Duke of Aswan was close to claiming the German throne but died prematurely and his lands were thrown into chaos. In the interim, the King of Bohemia has declared himself Holy Roman Emperor but there are no member states.

* The King of England once ruled firmly over both the English and French thrones. The Plague took the life of Edward IV in 1371, leaving his infant son on the throne. The United Kingdom of England and France descended into chaos. The regency of the King was able to hold on to eastern England and some French lands, but the remainder is split into Cornwall, Lancaster and a dozen French duchies.

* Ireland had unified by 1150 but was nearly subjugated by a Muslim counter-crusade. Scotland reconquered the Muslim occupied land and the remaining Irish declared themselves vassals to Scotland, which now calls itself the United Gaelic Kingdom of Scotland and Ireland.

* The Spaniards were able to completely expel the Moors from Iberia by the early 12th century. Castille had nearly unified the entire peninsula before it, too, fractured. Castille, Catalunya and Navarra are now the major powers there.

* Hungary had successfully conquered most of the pagan Pecheneg lands by 1100. It had successfully defended itself from several Polish attacks. It could not survive, however, against a concerted Turkish-Arabic counter-crusade around 1200.

* Croatia took advantage of the Heresy to conquer Karnten and Venice along with parts of northeastern Italy and southern Austria. It has been involved in a protracted war with the Papal States for control of central Italy for approximately the last ten years.

* Various crusades, mostly in the early 12th century, led to the Christian conquest of large parts of North Africa and the Middle East. At different times Christians controlled Jerusalem, Alexandria, Damascus and Baghdad. The loss and regain of lands has led to Christian sultanates and Muslim kingdoms. Christian "Crusader States" now control most of Syria, Lebanon and Libya.

* Several offensives by Poland and the Rus managed to subjugate the Lithuanian and Finnish pagans by 1200. The Rus owns eastern Lithuania along with eastern and southern Finland.

* Byzantium has managed to survive in the southern Balkans and northern and central Anatolia, but Constantinople was lost by 1125. Only recently has it been retaken by Saxony from the yoke of the heathens.

collage1-1.png

Russia_feudal.png

Tripoli.jpg

This will obviously have to wait until we have an available Diplomat or two...

advances.jpg

Empire.png

A title and a capital both befitting our greatness.

stpetersburg.jpg

Last edited:
Intriguing. I'll have to go and read part 1 now.

If you mean CK, there isn't one. I started one years ago but my then-computer got fried and I lost several pics so I decided to wait for the conversion. I removed the "continuation" part from the title as it was unintentionally misleading. Sorry about that!

Did I mention I started the CK game leading up to this five years ago? :p

EDIT: Found the (abandoned) CK AAR here.

Last edited:
After his wars of Pagan conquest early in his reign, Vasilii saw no need for more war. There were a few war hawks in his court that asserted that since Russia was the most powerful land in Christianity, it was their solemn duty to crush the pagans completely. But where would that end? Crush pagan Astrakahn, and then Muslim Persia? Drive Sharjah out of the Balkans? To what end? Being labeled a dishonorable warmonger, and generate more enemies? Yes, Russia was the most powerful land - most powerful Empire - in Christianity, the most powerful land in the known world as a matter of fact. That power was to be used as a deterrent, as a shield and not a sword. This philosophy would govern Russia for now. Good fences make for good neighbors, but a few gold pieces and a royal marriage doesn't hurt either.

diplomacy.jpg

Austrian Tripoli :wacko: ? Are the Muslim nations that powerful in Crusader Kings?

I'm interested in where you'll take Russia now, so I'll be following :) .

Austrian Tripoli :wacko: ? Are the Muslim nations that powerful in Crusader Kings?

I'm interested in where you'll take Russia now, so I'll be following :) .

A German Duke inherited the Duchy of Aswan, then himself became Aswan when he lost his first German title. He then lost the actual county of Aswan but still retained the title. He conquered most of Germany but died and his lands fell apart (see "The Story Thus Far.") Aswan became Tripoli during the conversion. Did you get all that? :p

glory.jpg

pfrggfp.png

"Well, I *am* Czar..."

polpeasant.png

"Oh, Czar, eh? Oh, very nice... And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society! If there's ever gonna be any progress in our society..."

pfrggfp.png

"Oh shut up!"

polpeasant.png

"Did you hear that, eh? What a giveaway!"

Last edited:

Russia is having to post more troops at her borders with Astrakhan and the Golden Horde due to their problems dealing with internal strife. A zealot army crossed from Astrakhan into Bolgar and attacked the army there and almost routed them. We may have to increase peacetime military maintenance just to deal with the problem.

zealots.jpg

melee1.jpg

Last edited:
Renly Baratheon as your sheriff? Interesting. Make sure he does not plot to overthrow you :D

Anyway, interesting to see how this goes along, so subscribed!

Renly Baratheon as your sheriff? Interesting. Make sure he does not plot to overthrow you :D

Anyway, interesting to see how this goes along, so subscribed!

Is that who it is? I'm only mildly familiar with GoT, but it makes for great pictures ;)

kremlin_cropped.jpg

The Kremlin of St. Petersburg as seen from the Neva River, 1407

opsdfg.png

"My liege, Bohemia has attacked Sharjah in Transylvania and Oltenia. Bohemia, however, has accepted gold in return for a peace treaty but no territory. It might be advantageous for us to seize the opportunity and take Oltenia."

king_small.jpg

"Are you suggesting a lengthy and costly siege?"

opsdfg.png

"No, sire. Oltenia's fortifications and garrison are extremely weakened. We could take it quite easily."

king_small.jpg

"Very well."

holywar.jpg

Last edited:

VASILII I RURIKOVICH 1351 - 1412​

ALL HAIL TSAR RADOSLAV I RURIKOVICH, TSAR OF ALL THE RUSSIAS AND OF BULGARIA, KING OF SERBIA.​

THE TSAR IS DEAD. LONG LIVE THE TSAR.​

Last edited: