Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 4th day impressions

  1. #1

    4th day impressions

    Now that the early game "lameness" is over I'm starting to see some really nice depth to the game. I'm hanging out with a posse of players are keen on cooperation and we already have a village kinship feeling going on. We've been settled by a riverside for a while and we will likely move soon, but I was surprised to realize that I was going to miss the old place. Apparently a feeling of attachment to an in-game area has crept in without me noticing, which is a great accomplishment for a game like this.

    I'm also starting to notice how the talk of murderous bandits is changing player behaviour. Early days people were a lot more chatty and friendly. Now there is an unmistakable paranoia settling in, with people appropriately afraid of strangers in the lawless frontier. Whenever I come across someone in the wilderness, I make sure to keep a decent distance in between just in case.

    Another very interesting issue that's starting to come up is ownership and governance of shared land. It is cheaper for one person to stake a claim and keep expanding it, instead of everyone buying their own deed. On the flipside, that means if you have a falling out with the person who owns the land, they might cut you off from all the stuff you built on their land. It is surprisingly similar to the real world dichotomy of communism (state ownership of everything) vs private enterprise. I can see this kind of stuff giving way to a need for legal systems either built in or player arranged, although the latter would be difficult to enforce on the land owner without built-in support.

    That said I have no idea how the town system works so the above scenario might be completely irrelevant. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    First Lieutenant darnokpl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Verde Selva, Poland
    Posts
    227
    I was KILLED ON DAY FOUR!!!
    Making skills that allow to MURDER other players, so cheap IS A STUPID JOKE.
    I was starting to like this game, my camp was growing, new friends where coming to join us, old friends where improving their characters.
    Everything was as it should be on crafting game, but today 2-3 mens raided our camp and killed me, first I said WTF???
    We can count hours since beta started and they have MURDER AND THEFT SKILLS in perma death game???

  3. #3
    Sergeant

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    67
    Yeah...this early in the game it's probably better to just wander around Boston like I'm doing. Earning new skills, looking for indian items. It's better to travel FAR away from Boston to settle.

  4. #4
    First Lieutenant darnokpl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Verde Selva, Poland
    Posts
    227
    I was far... I picked random homestead for 20 silver, my friends where walking more that 2h from Boston, so I think there are two things:
    - world is very very small,
    - those guys are just traveling and killing everyone on their path:/

  5. #5
    To be fair, getting killed at any point is going to hurt. But yeah I do sense some balancing issues with PKing vs crafting. Griefing right now is a lot easier than trying to achieve any notion of civilization. I like the idea of perma-death, it is one of the selling points of this game for me, but the risk vs reward is not panning out quite right atm.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by darnokpl View Post
    I was far... I picked random homestead for 20 silver, my friends where walking more that 2h from Boston, so I think there are two things:
    - world is very very small,
    - those guys are just traveling and killing everyone on their path:/
    Your random homestead could have been within 30 minutes of boston for all you know.

    And the world is massive.

  7. #7
    I do not mind the perma death, but it would be just fine with Rights of an Englishman. Dropping your stuff is bad enough, and it allows the victor all of the spoils. Since the inheritance system is not in.. why is permadeath? Can you test one without the other? What are we testing...our patience? I have started a settlement which I have going nicely, but I am solo, and the risk of inviting someone to join is so sketchy, since they can just kill me and the property is lost.

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant darnokpl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Verde Selva, Poland
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopefly View Post
    ... Since the inheritance system is not in.. why is permadeath? ...
    Joke??? Inherit wasn't implemented yet??? <facepalm>

  9. #9
    Paradox Developer Brother Bean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    398
    We'll fix inheritance and summoning properly during next week.
    Plan to die alot, casual?

    - Anonymous replies to post complaining about permanent death in Salem on 4chan/v.

  10. #10

    world small?

    lol this place is is far from small. I've been killed aswell but it was only because of Salems lag that the guy managed to get me!

  11. #11
    General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,032
    Great to hear, Beanie!

  12. #12
    First Lieutenant darnokpl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Verde Selva, Poland
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Bean View Post
    We'll fix inheritance and summoning properly during next week.
    Great, meanwhile can you resurrect killed characters and/or block murder skill?
    I don't want to waste 4 more days starting from zero, I think that not the point if closed beta?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreland View Post
    lol this place is is far from small. I've been killed aswell but it was only because of Salems lag that the guy managed to get me!
    I dont think I have ever lagged in this game due to something not on my side. No one i know has either

  14. #14
    no lag indeed, slight frame loss on click tho :O (that might be on my side)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
    no lag indeed, slight frame loss on click tho :O (that might be on my side)
    yea i think it might be.

  16. #16
    Sergeant
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    skellefteć, Sweden
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by darnokpl View Post
    I was KILLED ON DAY FOUR!!!
    Making skills that allow to MURDER other players, so cheap IS A STUPID JOKE.
    I was starting to like this game, my camp was growing, new friends where coming to join us, old friends where improving their characters.
    Everything was as it should be on crafting game, but today 2-3 mens raided our camp and killed me, first I said WTF???
    We can count hours since beta started and they have MURDER AND THEFT SKILLS in perma death game???
    Little point in there being perma death if you cant die is there.

  17. #17
    First Lieutenant darnokpl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Verde Selva, Poland
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by alioli View Post
    Little point in there being perma death if you cant die is there.
    It is beta or it just me?
    There is perma-death and there should be inheritance system, but there isn't any right now?
    What is the point of perma-death so soon it won't let you know any advanced aspects of the game?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopefly View Post
    Since the inheritance system is not in.. why is permadeath?
    I would also say since the combat is so very placeholder... why is permadeath in?

    I mean 2 stabs kills anything, hardcoded. stomp stun locks, so whoever uses it first wins a fight also.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallane View Post
    I dont think I have ever lagged in this game due to something not on my side. No one i know has either
    Yes there is lag in salem.
    Whether it's when they did the update to the water drawing, or preparing to take down the server, there is lag spikes at some point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts