• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bertouch

Musical Tree Surgeon
19 Badges
Feb 15, 2007
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
Didn't see any sign of the patch Fred talked about yesterday for today. Did that not make it out, or is Steam getting patches to people with its usual speedy impression of an ox-driven cart?

Still no patch on Steam at 01:22 PM (Eastern USA time), 8½ hours after Alexey's post. Just a statement of fact, not a complaint.

I have had a lot of fun playing the IGN-provided beta (v1.0.1.22 of 28 March) for the past 10 days (over 90 hours of play !) without experiencing any crash or game-stopping bugs.

Besides a few missing features, it really looks and plays like a fine completed game : if that beta version was the finished game, I would gladly pay full price for it. I can't believe that the 8-May release version will be even better.

Consequently, I do not mind if the beta is not patched : only 5 or 6 days left in the IGN-provided beta, and only 10 days to wait for the 8 May release (at 01:00 PM Eastern on Steam).

Congratulations, Alexey : you have developed a great quality game -- far beyond what Elemental : War of Magic and Might & Magic : Heroes VI were when they were released. In fact, my "old" beta version of Warlock is much less buggy and more polished than what Elemental and Heroes VI currently are, after many patches to their release versions !

Thanks a lot. Patch mainly improves AI of oponent Great Mages. Also we have fixed several errors found while beta-testing and slightly improved UI. Top-tier units were additionaly balaced. I'm still waiting for it to be published today (or on Monday - if we are out of luck).

Thanks a lot. Patch mainly improves AI of oponent Great Mages. Also we have fixed several errors found while beta-testing and slightly improved UI. Top-tier units were additionaly balaced. I'm still waiting for it to be published today (or on Monday - if we are out of luck).

Figured as much--and that's why it would be good to have for the beta. I'd love to watch the enemy neutrals and wizards employ good strategies of development. Looking forward to it. :)

No, it doesn't appear to have made it on Monday. Steam is notorious for the amount of time it takes to post patches--hence my comment about ox-driven carts, above.

The IGN/Prime-provided Beta ends sometime today (2 May) or tomorrow : a patch to that Beta, on Steam, thus becomes less pressing.

I have been playing that Beta (unpatched v1.0.1.22) for 121 hours in 14½ days : it never crashed, and there was no major bug.

Consequently, I am extremely happy with the situation -- patch or no patch. Only 6 days to wait for the release of the Game.

Last edited:
The IGN/Prime-provided Beta ends sometime today (2 May) or tomorrow : a patch to that Beta, on Steam, thus becomes less pressing.

I have been playing that Beta (unpatched v1.0.1.22) for 104 hours in 14½ days : it never crashed, and there was no major bug.

Consequently, I am extremely happy with the situation -- patch or no patch. Only 6 days to wait for the release of the Game.

Each to their own, but I found the enemy AI both too passive and incapable of mounting a serious strategic challenge. And I wanted to see if the developers had expanded upon quests, gods, etc. So it's not a matter of my being happy or unhappy, but of seeing how the game has developed closer to launch. The matter will obviously be moot shortly, but that's not the point intended with this thread, is it? ;)

In that sense, concerning the enemy-mage A.I., you are right : I have experienced no major difficulty, during 121 hours (corrected time) of gameplay, in outperforming the enemy mages -- as you say, they are "both too passive and incapable of mounting a serious strategic challenge". An A.I. patch to the Beta would have been interesting.

[I did lose one game by surprise : at the start of my turn, a mage offered me an alliance, which I accepted, and a second later, a message announced that the mage had won, and I was catapulted to the main screen ! I guessed that the mage was already allied to the 7 other mages (playing on a huge, single land) so by obtaining an alliance with me, he achieved a diplomatic victory. I reloaded the autosave and refused the alliance to stop him : not because I did not want to lose, but because it was an interesting, long game, and I wanted to continue it.]

In that situation, it would be nice to see how many alliances and wars each mage had going, and with whom, when you're asked in turn for an alliance. Otherwise, it's a little like playing "Guess what I have in my pocket?" with the potential for losing big.

Writing 3 hours after 2Coats : CONFIRMED. Steam just updated my 1.0.1.22 version of the Beta (finalized on 28 March) to the recent 1.1.1.25 version.

By the way, my IGN/Prime-provided Beta was supposed to expire yesterday. I am very glad to have had an extra day ... plus a patch !

It is 8:25 PM here (Montreal region, in Canada) so I have the whole evening to see if the patch made the A.I. more competitive.