+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need to upgrade graphics card to play Warlock??

Recruit
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the Eagles
    Naval War: Arctic CircleRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane

need to upgrade graphics card to play Warlock??

I've just pre-ordered Warlock from Steam...thought I'd give the demo a go, installed, clicked play and I'm told my graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements and I cannot play this game.

The minimum requirements on steam for graphics is : GeForce GT240 512 Mb or comparable.

I have a Radeon X1950 Crossfire 512MB, ok I know it's old but when I checked the minimum requirements for the game I figured it checked out ok. I can run games like Civ 5, shogun 2 on good enough settings...am I seriousely not going to be able to play this game unless I buy a new graphics card? I'm literally praying I'm wrong somehow and all I need to do is press a button somwhere, been really looking forward to this game and would rather not have to cancel my pre-order.

Any suggestions?

Hoi 2 Beta

Does the demo allow you to start the game in 'safemode'?
    For God, King and Country - A MARCH OF THE EAGLES AAR
    "That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'." x2 - Marv, Sin City.

Recruit
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the Eagles
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane

I must admit I hadn't seen safe-mode, but I just tried it and I get the same result...'we are sorry, but your video card does not meet the minimum requirements for the game. Launching the game is not possible. Please upgrade your computer in order to play Warlock - Master of the Arcane'

Gutted...

Hoi 2 Beta

Sorry to hear. Not sure how much it would cost to upg to the minimum recommended card, though Id strongly advise one thats at least a level better. Unless of course you have a laptop with a builtin card!

Recruit

Thanks for your help...I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and upgrade but phew it's not a laptop and could have been worse!!

Hoi 2 Beta

No probs.... Some games are just worth the cost of an upgrade.

51 games registered

Achtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossKing Arthur IILost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

I'm a beta tester and I run the game in a Intel HD (i5 processor) on my laptop... Which is IMMENSELY worse than your GPU. All settings on low, of course.

Wait for a comment from the devs or try to send them an email.

Cheers
    Commander Shepard: You must have had some kind of interesting experience.
    Urdnott Wrex: Well, there was this one time the Turians tried to wipe out our entire race. That was fun.

'Worse', performance wise doesn't necessarily matter. Age also matters due to the rendering features supported. The minimum spec GT240 for instance supports shader model 4 but the x1950 only supports 3. I have no idea what features the game may be using, this is just an example reason as to why a powerful older card may be unable to run modern games.

Hoi 2 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by tedescooo View Post
    I'm a beta tester and I run the game in a Intel HD (i5 processor) on my laptop... Which is IMMENSELY worse than your GPU. All settings on low, of course.

Cheers
    Thx for letting us know. That would be a good idea.

Conqueror of Cats and Mice NimaFoulaam's Avatar
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Cheers
    ASUS N82J, Intel HD3000(intern), 4 GB RAM, updated graphic drivers, minimal settings
    Demo starts to lag after a few turns to unplaybility.

Do you have any idea why? I have a similar issue with Skyrim but using a config tool improves performance (stops playing music). Is it possible that the lag issue is related to RAM (well but 4GB)? Is it possible that the cause is due low VRAM?
    .................................................. ..............................
    Checked my sys again thinking now it has to be VRAM related (VRAM too low and no bios feature to increase).

Sad, it will unfortunately not be possible to play the game on my ASUS.
    Last edited by NimaFoulaam; 29-04-2012 at 10:33.
    Paradox Fan since EU
    Blue Emu Fan since HoI2

51 games registered

Achtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossKing Arthur IILost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by NimaFoulaam View Post
    ASUS N82J, Intel HD3000(intern), 4 GB RAM, updated graphic drivers, minimal settings
    Demo starts to lag after a few turns to unplaybility.

Do you have any idea why? I have a similar issue with Skyrim but using a config tool improves performance (stops playing music). Is it possible that the lag issue is related to RAM (well but 4GB)? Is it possible that the cause is due low VRAM?
    .................................................. ..............................
    Checked my sys again thinking now it has to be VRAM related (VRAM too low and no bios feature to increase).

Sad, it will unfortunately not be possible to play the game on my ASUS.
    What's your processor? These intern graphic cards rely completely on the processor.
    Commander Shepard: You must have had some kind of interesting experience.
    Urdnott Wrex: Well, there was this one time the Turians tried to wipe out our entire race. That was fun.

What's your processor? These intern graphic cards rely completely on the processor.
    It is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M520 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz.
    Paradox Fan since EU
    Blue Emu Fan since HoI2

The demo ran just fine for me with a Geforce 9800XT. I have an Intel 2.4 Gb Quad with 4Gb RAM running 32 bit Vista.

I ran into the same thing last week with Team Assault. Min. specs call for a video card with 1Gb memory (mine has 512k), and aside from a slight lag when executing orders, it runs great with everything set to high.

I can run it on an HD 5450 but it lags a bit.

...and they're the greatest single reason why people complain about games they can't run, either. Even games that are relatively graphics-lite often have difficulties on such setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertouch View Post
    ...and they're the greatest single reason why people complain about games they can't run, either. Even games that are relatively graphics-lite often have difficulties on such setups.
    EU3, HOI3, DW run fine and fast but the more 3d rendering a game uses the more work a iGPU has to do. It can mean that it is not possible to run a game on mobile processors of a generation then, next generation may work then.
    Last edited by NimaFoulaam; 03-05-2012 at 19:59.
    Paradox Fan since EU
    Blue Emu Fan since HoI2

@OP: Did you try with crossfire off? Just curious.

+ Reply to Thread