• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(267474)

Sergeant
3 Badges
Feb 13, 2011
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome Gold
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
I've been pumped for this game ever since the original teaser. I didn't even need the demo to convince me to preorder. Of course, I had to try the demo regardless... get my first real taste aside from beta videos and livestream demonstrations. And right off the bat, I...

Find it freezing at the second hint screen, then crashing when I pressed the escape key. I tried rushing through it, seeing if it was a timed thing, but it still quickly froze up later on. Next time I loaded it up, I turned off hints, since it only seemed to happen there. Sure enough, that fixed it and I had no freezing problems afterward. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or if this is a demo-only glitch, but I thought this was worth addressing.

Regardless, this initial irk was in no way putting a damper on my enthusiasm. Gameplay is fluid and intuitive, easily accessible if you have the most rudimentary knowledge of Civilization 5 or a similar game. Building around your city instead of inside it really gives a stronger "I'm spreading my control" feel to your empire/kingdom/magocracy. Visuals are absolutely gorgeous, regardless of stylization. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but when I build cities and empires in games, I like to bask in how it appears and scan over the society I've built... this game is quite indulgent to that sentiment.

I did decent enough on my playthrough, I suppose. I'll admit, I tend to be a sneaky perfectionist who likes to reload over "unacceptable" debacles, so the demo-restricted save/load feature was a bit of a tease. Fortunately, things didn't go too awry. I made a non-aggression pact with one faction and was distant enough from the other that we left each other alone. The biggest threat I dealt with was the other worlds. One was along the coast, so I just bombarded the guardians into submission, but the other one... whoo boy. I didn't expect my initial agitation to cause a small extra-dimensional threat. Earth Elementals and Vampires simultaneously is rather harrying, especially when you only have a bi-turnly output of archers and rogues fending them off. But I triumphed in the end, charged into those worlds... and promptly got my scouting parties smushed. "Another day," thought I.

If I have any major complaint about the demo, hint-freezing aside, it's that just as I'm about to build near an elven village, just as I find some Holy Ground... I ran out of time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ;A;

I haven't tried the demo, but the beta version has been rock solid for me. No crashes, freezes, or any crazy stuff. Like you said must be just some glitch in the demo. I agree with everything you said, this game is awesome.

Demo made my Steam chat window lag very badly when I was alt tabbed out of the game. UI art/button could use a bit of polish. Desktop shortcut icon resolution is poor.

But that aside, game was fun, and I wish I had more time to play it tonight. Alas, could not save upon exiting. Will have to start over tomorrow night. Wish it was released now.

, just as I find some Holy Ground... I ran out of time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ;A;

Funny. Man, I cannot wait until tonight to try this out.

You say you defeated the Guardians.., I am thinking you mean you were fighting in one of the OTHER WORLDS. If that is correct did your Holy Ground comment mean that you were trying to settle in the Other World?

Did you have any experience with Settlers in the OTHER WORLD? Did you see any very cool terrain features/bonuses when you were in the OTHER WORLD?

Damn this job, I have to get home!!!

Just played the demo until it ran out. A great game and one of the most addictive I've played in a long while. I'm starving from late food and desperately needed the loo but the game was a higher priority lol. This one is going to cost me some sleep!

Just played the demo until it ran out. A great game and one of the most addictive I've played in a long while. I'm starving from late food and desperately needed the loo but the game was a higher priority lol. This one is going to cost me some sleep!

2much info! But I can attest to the addictiveness. It certainly has that just-one-more-turn factor!

Funny. Man, I cannot wait until tonight to try this out.

You say you defeated the Guardians.., I am thinking you mean you were fighting in one of the OTHER WORLDS. If that is correct did your Holy Ground comment mean that you were trying to settle in the Other World?

Did you have any experience with Settlers in the OTHER WORLD? Did you see any very cool terrain features/bonuses when you were in the OTHER WORLD?

Damn this job, I have to get home!!!
I was not trying to settle another world at the time; I put them on the back burner as soon as my scouts got obliterated. However, one world I saw had a Dwarf tile near the entryway... along with about two other Earth Elementals, a Daemonwood, and a Dragon. No, the Holy Ground in question was in Ardania, but distant from my main cities.

Just finished the demo. It's a pretty good game overall, but the lack of a tech tree makes me wonder how the endgame is. Also, I don't get how the spell research works. The core of the game seems like a lot of fun, but I think it could use an expansion or two to add more options.

I believe they said during the live stream that their isn't a tech tree and the spell research choices are randomised to prevent you following an identical path to certain spells each game. At first glance that seems odd but now I've thought about it, I quite like the idea.

I believe they said during the live stream that their isn't a tech tree and the spell research choices are randomised to prevent you following an identical path to certain spells each game. At first glance that seems odd but now I've thought about it, I quite like the idea.

It's fine for me, as long as you can't get powerful spells early.

I just tried the demo. I downloaded it from steam. I was able to click on units to select them, but was unable to click anywhere to move them. As well in the city screen I was able to click on a building I wanted to build, but when I clicked on the hex nothing happened. As well "swamp" seems to be next to each tool tip on the regular map. Anyone else experiencing this?

It took me a while to get used to left-click both selects and performs an action. Could that be it? Right-click seems to only display additional info.

More than once I accidentally sent units towards one of my cities, when I really just wanted to take a look at that city.
Still, I got so caught up in the game I had to pre-order after the last turn :)

I had quite a bit of fun of the demo. What I really like is the way your can aid your troops with spells and the like, and also how your troops use food and upkeep, and that you need to generate population in order to build more buildings. The AI for the monsters is also quite good and I have a lot of fun trying to keep them at bay and even harder to expand because of elementals/vampires ect. I also find the portals in to other worlds extremly entertaiing and worth exploring, and especially the danger that comes with it. One thing that's a bit lacking is the diplomacy options. Mabye this game is not about diplomacy, but I'd wish for an expanded diplomatic interaction. Its also cool how you got relationships with the various gods, and the victory conditions is also awesome. Oh and graphics +1

It took me a while to get used to left-click both selects and performs an action. Could that be it? Right-click seems to only display additional info.

More than once I accidentally sent units towards one of my cities, when I really just wanted to take a look at that city.
Still, I got so caught up in the game I had to pre-order after the last turn :)

Alas no, I was clicking all sorts of ways, even when I had a unit selcted I tried using the arrow keys and numeric pad keys with num lock on and off. Nothing happening. Same for in the city screen, tried various ways of clicking.

Alas no, I was clicking all sorts of ways, even when I had a unit selcted I tried using the arrow keys and numeric pad keys with num lock on and off. Nothing happening. Same for in the city screen, tried various ways of clicking.

So I tried the game again this morning and everything was fine except sometimes the tooltip text for a hex replacing the beginning of the tooltip for something else the mouse is over.

The game seems interesting, but too simplistic/dumbed down. Granted i've been playing Crusader Kings II and my mind is sort of that mode, ie-much more complicated.

Just finished the demo. It's a pretty good game overall, but the lack of a tech tree makes me wonder how the endgame is. Also, I don't get how the spell research works. The core of the game seems like a lot of fun, but I think it could use an expansion or two to add more options.

This was my only real concern as well. Enough "standard" features are missing to make me think the full game will feel pretty shallow after a few hours of play.