+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips on being the HREmperor

Tips on being the HREmperor

So I thought I'd have a go at Poland for the first time just by conquering Mazovia to see how playing Poland was like. However I'm on a roll now and I'm really enjoying this Poland game. I wanted have good relations with the Empire next to me, so I joined my provinces into the HRE, I still have a PU with Lithuania and a PU with Bohemia just came out of the blue just by having a RM with them which was a very nice surprise.
    I now have good relations with all the electors and it now seems likely that I will become the next Holy Roman Emperor, snatching the title from Burgandy. I'd like to form/unite the HRE, however I have no experience with being the emperor before, so do any of you have any hints and tips on being the Emperor and getting good imperial authority?

Thanks for the any help.

Well, if you cannot beat France, you will most likely not be able to get IA very high, because France seems very keen on attacking the HRE, which is great for IA if you are stronger than France.

Also, the reformation allows you to switch to protestantism and then use the cleansing of heresy to get loads of of IA

Oh another question: When a current emperor dies, does the new elected emperor take over? Or are emperors elected every X years?
    Also a different problem I'm facing, my Lithuanian and Moldavian vassals borders the GH, but no longer goes to war with me or my vassals, the message "The nomads are restless" pops up, but I seem to get an automatic truce right afterwards, no tribute, it's weird.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

When an emperor dies, immediately an election is held and the new HRE will take over.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Umega View Post
    Oh another question: When a current emperor dies, does the new elected emperor take over? Or are emperors elected every X years?
    A new emperor is elected every time the sitting emperor dies (or is deposed from rulership of his country), and only then.

Also a different problem I'm facing, my Lithuanian and Moldavian vassals borders the GH, but no longer goes to war with me or my vassals, the message "The nomads are restless" pops up, but I seem to get an automatic truce right afterwards, no tribute, it's weird.
    If you want the horde war you need to ally your vassals. (5.2 fixes this.)
    Nothing scares infantry like tanks that can see them. Nothing scares tank crews like infantry they can't see.

If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

Elections upon death, except when you enact the http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Proclaim_Erbkaisertum decision. At this point you can switch to a Republic and elect a new ruler every 4/8 years to gain IA much faster.

In DW 5.1 your minions (Vassals + Juniors) will automatically call you in to a war as leader. Hordes can only be at war with neighbours and the switch in leader causes them to assume they no longer have a border with you and end the war. This has been fixed in the 5.2 beta patch.

Edit: This place is full of ninjas!
    Check out the EU3 wiki here.
    Also see my personal Project Section

Thanks for the answers!

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2

If you call for an election as empereror, how do you see the result? I just get a pop-window stating something about benefits, but I cannot see the result of the election - I would like a sum of votes or somesuch..

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

There is no "good" way to see the results, this is something I also sorely miss.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2

Well, I would just like to know if I won the election, eg. if it passed?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzMartinDK View Post
    Well, I would just like to know if I won the election, eg. if it passed?
    If a reform passes, everyone who knows the Empire exists (including the emperor) will get an popup talking about the "Diet in (some imperial city or other)" passing a reform proposed by the emperor. If it doesn't, you won't. You can see the individual votes in the message log.
    Nothing scares infantry like tanks that can see them. Nothing scares tank crews like infantry they can't see.

If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

A great little trick, if you're up for it, is converting to Protestantism first thing, then when all the smaller german minors start to convert, you get the 'wayward sheep returns' for each one, and you DON'T get the 'heretical prince' one for those that go from Catholic to Reformed, since they are already heretics to you. Of course this comes at the price of dealing with all the heartache that comes with conversion in the first place, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauth View Post
    Elections upon death, except when you enact the http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Proclaim_Erbkaisertum decision. At this point you can switch to a Republic and elect a new ruler every 4/8 years to gain IA much faster.
    After proclaiming Erbkaisertum you no longer gain IA when you get a new ruler.

Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Northcutt View Post
    A great little trick, if you're up for it, is converting to Protestantism first thing, then when all the smaller german minors start to convert, you get the 'wayward sheep returns' for each one, and you DON'T get the 'heretical prince' one for those that go from Catholic to Reformed, since they are already heretics to you. Of course this comes at the price of dealing with all the heartache that comes with conversion in the first place, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Won't it get a lot harder to get your heir elected (Catholic) emperor if he is not catholic? ... (negative modifiers to the electors?)

Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by grommile View Post
    If a reform passes, everyone who knows the Empire exists (including the emperor) will get an popup talking about the "Diet in (some imperial city or other)" passing a reform proposed by the emperor. If it doesn't, you won't. You can see the individual votes in the message log.
    So when the only popup I get is something staing what modifiers I would get, it's just that : I Would have gotten them, if just...

How do I increase the chances of them voting for reforms? More IA or better relations with the states of HRE?

Authority has nothing to do with it (it can help with being re-elected, though). It's mainly relations and infamy.
    There's a small message log at the bottom screen, though, informing you about events happening in other countries. Check it for "[Nation] went with 'the need for reform is dire'/'the Feudal rights must be protected' in the even 'Vote for Reichsreform'" to get a basic idea about how succesfull you were with your proposal.

Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by CyberEagle View Post
    Authority has nothing to do with it (it can help with being re-elected, though). It's mainly relations and infamy.
    There's a small message log at the bottom screen, though, informing you about events happening in other countries. Check it for "[Nation] went with 'the need for reform is dire'/'the Feudal rights must be protected' in the even 'Vote for Reichsreform'" to get a basic idea about how succesfull you were with your proposal.
    You really mean to say I have to count like 40 votes, by scrolling slowly up/down, to find out wether the proposal passed or not???
    Isn't there somewhere to see if it is a success?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

make sure you have four vassals 3 if you inherit and get bohemia's vote so you stay no matter what but especially if you plan on changing religions and always have your infamy at 0 when you pass a reform or they won't pass it
    Player Kills-3

Experience is the teacher of all things. - Julius Caesar
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a man with a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzMartinDK View Post
    You really mean to say I have to count like 40 votes, by scrolling slowly up/down, to find out wether the proposal passed or not???
    Isn't there somewhere to see if it is a success?
    No, no, you misunderstand. There's a giant popup if it's a success. But the log is sadly the only way to figure out who voted against it.

Quote Originally Posted by ind2bc View Post
    make sure you have four vassals 3 if you inherit and get bohemia's vote so you stay no matter what but especially if you plan on changing religions and always have your infamy at 0 when you pass a reform or they won't pass it
    Vassals still won't vote for heretics, but they are more likely to agree to Religious Uniformity.
    And I (barely) pass Reforms with 4-8 Infamy all the time. It just makes it much harder, so, yeah, you still want it as close to zero as possible.

Victoria 2

Just read thru' the eventchain. First it set (for some) a flag : Yes to vote : major factors is relations with emperor over 100, being a Vassal of Emperor, and, for Theocracies, being same religion as Emperor. Those are factor 10 modified by 2-4. Think that might end up as several chances of some percentage.?
    Then it goes thru a "lets clear that yes again" event : factor is 20, modifiers are relations of 100 and below(1,5-2,0), badboy 0.2 and 0.5 (2,0 and 1,5) -if it is 2 or 5 or 10 BB shouldn't make a difference, religion not the same with 3, number of cities at least 6 modifier 10, and oh yes : being at war with the emperor : modifier 100.

I just don't know if this modifier is a replacement factor, or a multiplier on the factor - most likely the last..And if it means there are several chanches of triggering the "clear" or if all possible circumstances modify one shot at clearing the "Yes"..?

..ohh : and it seems it might take like 50 days from triggering the vote until the counting of the votes?
    (mean_time_to_happen = {
    days = 50
    })

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast