• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There should be lots of old 3.2 mods still floating around. I didn't really start messing with mods until DW so I can't outright suggest anything, but probably start looking at Magna Mundi and check out the other subforums on the user mods section, most of those will have 3.2 versions available to play.

You may also want to consider the expansions that have come out since Complete, Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind, as both add quite a bit to the game. When I started playing DW, it was the first time I'd played since IN 3.1, and the difference was shocking.

Guess, I'll have to look at them all to decide.

In general, I like the gameplay idea of EUIII and I'm completely a Vicky addict since the first one has come out. Not sure why EUIII wasn't as captivating. Maybe HttT and DW, as you say, make it a complete different game. Have to see. Maybe my approach in EUIII takes out a lot of options. I usually always go for the smaller states and try to prevail in an ever changing world around me but there is only so much you can do being small....

quick question: does DW only take place in Far East? Will I be able to start with a European nation from scratch? HttT plus DW seems to make EUIII a little bit more "vickier" feature and mechanics wise which wouldn't be too bad to hold my interest.....

Last edited:
but there is only so much you can do being small....
Up to, and including, conquer the world.

quick question: does DW only take place in Far East?
No. It is strictly an expansion of the game. Some players have opined that it actually makes the far eastern part of the game worse. (Having never played at any of the intermediate points between vanilla and the DW 5.1 betas, I can't comment.)

Will I be able to start with a European nation from scratch?
Yes.

No. It is strictly an expansion of the game. Some players have opined that it actually makes the far eastern part of the game worse. (Having never played at any of the intermediate points between vanilla and the DW 5.1 betas, I can't comment.)
Mings Faction are a great idea with terrible implemention. At least it makes everyone ELSE around them more fun due to easier survival. Japan is quite fun and has lots of unique flavor-events, but the Shogunate system has... problems.

The general consensus is that HttT is a must-have - it will completely change your game for the better. Opinion on DW is more divided, although I would expect the upcoming 5.2 patch will fix the most serious gameplay and balance issue that some people are unhappy about.

Those two seem to be the most popular, yes.

Death and Taxes is more subtle about its improvments, while MEIOU has a completely different (and, for rapidly expanding empires, worse)system for cores and simulates rising or falling empires with a special modifier. It's more a matter of taste then quality.

MEIOU is considerably slower than pretty much all of the other mods out there. It is a great mod, but it main focus is pretty much the 1350-1500. Not the best for a long term game.

Sadly there are no mods that I know of that focus on late-game mechanics. Even D&T seems to have a focus on early game things, like forming the Roman Empire.

On D&T what I experienced is that the AI tends to expand nicely, build a lot and not collapse too often. So, if you are not too gamey, there will be challenges (well, at least believable opponents) even in mid-late game.
The downside is maybe that economy is fairly easy to manage. AI won't lag in tech as in Vanilla, but a human player can focus his buildings to be much ahead of times in terms of tech levels. Always talking long-term here.
Some users reported unbalances concerning France/England but I never experienced them starting in 1399.

I am also trying More Provinces Mod where economy is more difficult to manage compared to D&T and expansion is more difficult: more provinces (balanced), more BB. So you most likely won't be that big until late game. Cultural leaders get bonuses so local powers will prove to be decent opponents. I also had many new decisions to enact until at least 1600.

I recommend both of them, then it's really about personal tastes.

MEIOU has the great advantage of incorporating Dei Gratia, which adds lot of depth to Religion (although sometimes behaves in mysterious ways), with partial conversions, religious minorities and religious wars, but I am not sure DG will actually improve your long-term experience.

SRI had the 30-year War scripted with its sub-system to decide the final victor after several wars through a peace conference. It did not happen in every game but it was really a thing to look forward to in the XVII century and beyond.

MEIOU is considerably slower than pretty much all of the other mods out there. It is a great mod, but it main focus is pretty much the 1350-1500. Not the best for a long term game.

Sadly there are no mods that I know of that focus on late-game mechanics. Even D&T seems to have a focus on early game things, like forming the Roman Empire.

We are trying to work on some more stuff for later in the game than vanilla and already have implemented such as an extended timeline 1356- 1861 soon to be a little longer, as well as introducing industrialization and hopefully some event for a realistic civil war in a few releases hopefully.

Miscmods adds a lot of little things I find mandatory. Stuff like Hussites, Sikhs, and other touches that are probably in other mods, but still would be nice in addition.

starwarsfan541 said:
already have implemented such as an extended timeline 1356- 1861 soon to be a little longer
I love D&T and I appreciate the work you put in extending the timeline, but I am not sure it actually helps a player find things to do in late game ^^"
If you start in 1356 it's even more difficult to have challenges in later parts of the Grand Campaign.

ywhtptgtfo said:
Death & Taxes > MEIOU?
Why don't you try them out, or have a look at the forums for more info ;-)

The general consensus is that HttT is a must-have - it will completely change your game for the better. Opinion on DW is more divided, although I would expect the upcoming 5.2 patch will fix the most serious gameplay and balance issue that some people are unhappy about.

Followed your advice and added HttT. Not touching DW for now. HttT seems to add some of the elements I like in Vicky. As for the mods, will have to look at both mentioned but for now I am going to try out a Vanilla HttT. That is, if I can leave Vicky alone. It's so damn addictive.... :D Thanks everybody.

What if it doesn't ?
I've been warned a few times for ranting about how bugged the Factions and Shogunate system is.
But if they don't fix it I find it very hypocritical.

Followed your advice and added HttT.
Great, it would be appreciated if you register it here, thanks.

BTW don't forget to patch it to 4.1 .