+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would be the best compilation of EU III extensions and/or mods for longterm game

What would be the best compilation of EU III extensions and/or mods for longterm game

Owning EU III complete and haven't played it more than occasionally and never lasted through a great campaign or anything. Is there any worthwhile mod and/or other expansion to give it a new shot?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

the one like the most is meiou, it ads a lot to the vanilla game, and it even has is own (active) subforum.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

There should be lots of old 3.2 mods still floating around. I didn't really start messing with mods until DW so I can't outright suggest anything, but probably start looking at Magna Mundi and check out the other subforums on the user mods section, most of those will have 3.2 versions available to play.

You may also want to consider the expansions that have come out since Complete, Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind, as both add quite a bit to the game. When I started playing DW, it was the first time I'd played since IN 3.1, and the difference was shocking.
    whisper deep thoughts to shallow minds
    ...to hollow minds
    ...to hallowed minds

Guess, I'll have to look at them all to decide.

In general, I like the gameplay idea of EUIII and I'm completely a Vicky addict since the first one has come out. Not sure why EUIII wasn't as captivating. Maybe HttT and DW, as you say, make it a complete different game. Have to see. Maybe my approach in EUIII takes out a lot of options. I usually always go for the smaller states and try to prevail in an ever changing world around me but there is only so much you can do being small....

quick question: does DW only take place in Far East? Will I be able to start with a European nation from scratch? HttT plus DW seems to make EUIII a little bit more "vickier" feature and mechanics wise which wouldn't be too bad to hold my interest.....
    Last edited by Reichsadler; 26-04-2012 at 19:44.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Reichsadler View Post
    but there is only so much you can do being small....
    Up to, and including, conquer the world.

quick question: does DW only take place in Far East?
    No. It is strictly an expansion of the game. Some players have opined that it actually makes the far eastern part of the game worse. (Having never played at any of the intermediate points between vanilla and the DW 5.1 betas, I can't comment.)

Will I be able to start with a European nation from scratch?
    Yes.
    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

Ask your quick modding questions in the appropriate place

Quote Originally Posted by grommile View Post
    No. It is strictly an expansion of the game. Some players have opined that it actually makes the far eastern part of the game worse. (Having never played at any of the intermediate points between vanilla and the DW 5.1 betas, I can't comment.)
    Mings Faction are a great idea with terrible implemention. At least it makes everyone ELSE around them more fun due to easier survival. Japan is quite fun and has lots of unique flavor-events, but the Shogunate system has... problems.

51 games registered

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

The general consensus is that HttT is a must-have - it will completely change your game for the better. Opinion on DW is more divided, although I would expect the upcoming 5.2 patch will fix the most serious gameplay and balance issue that some people are unhappy about.
    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death .... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. Bertrand Russell

On Probation
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

So MEIOU or Death and Taxes?

I want to try a mod.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Those two seem to be the most popular, yes.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

On Probation

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Those two seem to be the most popular, yes.
    They are also exclusive to each other, which is why I asked.

Death and Taxes is more subtle about its improvments, while MEIOU has a completely different (and, for rapidly expanding empires, worse)system for cores and simulates rising or falling empires with a special modifier. It's more a matter of taste then quality.

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

MEIOU is considerably slower than pretty much all of the other mods out there. It is a great mod, but it main focus is pretty much the 1350-1500. Not the best for a long term game.

Sadly there are no mods that I know of that focus on late-game mechanics. Even D&T seems to have a focus on early game things, like forming the Roman Empire.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

On D&T what I experienced is that the AI tends to expand nicely, build a lot and not collapse too often. So, if you are not too gamey, there will be challenges (well, at least believable opponents) even in mid-late game.
    The downside is maybe that economy is fairly easy to manage. AI won't lag in tech as in Vanilla, but a human player can focus his buildings to be much ahead of times in terms of tech levels. Always talking long-term here.
    Some users reported unbalances concerning France/England but I never experienced them starting in 1399.

I am also trying More Provinces Mod where economy is more difficult to manage compared to D&T and expansion is more difficult: more provinces (balanced), more BB. So you most likely won't be that big until late game. Cultural leaders get bonuses so local powers will prove to be decent opponents. I also had many new decisions to enact until at least 1600.

I recommend both of them, then it's really about personal tastes.

MEIOU has the great advantage of incorporating Dei Gratia, which adds lot of depth to Religion (although sometimes behaves in mysterious ways), with partial conversions, religious minorities and religious wars, but I am not sure DG will actually improve your long-term experience.

SRI had the 30-year War scripted with its sub-system to decide the final victor after several wars through a peace conference. It did not happen in every game but it was really a thing to look forward to in the XVII century and beyond.
    "The path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility not LSD and sideburns." - Black Knight

Quote Originally Posted by xcrissxcrossx View Post
    MEIOU is considerably slower than pretty much all of the other mods out there. It is a great mod, but it main focus is pretty much the 1350-1500. Not the best for a long term game.

Sadly there are no mods that I know of that focus on late-game mechanics. Even D&T seems to have a focus on early game things, like forming the Roman Empire.
    We are trying to work on some more stuff for later in the game than vanilla and already have implemented such as an extended timeline 1356- 1861 soon to be a little longer, as well as introducing industrialization and hopefully some event for a realistic civil war in a few releases hopefully.
    (Stronger Sliders + Ideas, Unique Missions + Decisions, Extended Timeline, DAO Map and More!)

A High Middle Ages Mod from the End of the first Crusade to 1821

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesMagicka
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Miscmods adds a lot of little things I find mandatory. Stuff like Hussites, Sikhs, and other touches that are probably in other mods, but still would be nice in addition.

On Probation

So... Death & Taxes > MEIOU? Can I get a vote? I know these are both good mods and focus on different things, but...

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

Quote Originally Posted by starwarsfan541
    already have implemented such as an extended timeline 1356- 1861 soon to be a little longer
    I love D&T and I appreciate the work you put in extending the timeline, but I am not sure it actually helps a player find things to do in late game ^^"
    If you start in 1356 it's even more difficult to have challenges in later parts of the Grand Campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by ywhtptgtfo
    Death & Taxes > MEIOU?
    Why don't you try them out, or have a look at the forums for more info ;-)
    "The path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility not LSD and sideburns." - Black Knight

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    The general consensus is that HttT is a must-have - it will completely change your game for the better. Opinion on DW is more divided, although I would expect the upcoming 5.2 patch will fix the most serious gameplay and balance issue that some people are unhappy about.
    Followed your advice and added HttT. Not touching DW for now. HttT seems to add some of the elements I like in Vicky. As for the mods, will have to look at both mentioned but for now I am going to try out a Vanilla HttT. That is, if I can leave Vicky alone. It's so damn addictive.... Thanks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    What if it doesn't ?
    I've been warned a few times for ranting about how bugged the Factions and Shogunate system is.
    But if they don't fix it I find it very hypocritical.

51 games registered

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Reichsadler View Post
    Followed your advice and added HttT.
    Great, it would be appreciated if you register it here, thanks.

BTW don't forget to patch it to 4.1 .
    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death .... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. Bertrand Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast