• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Capt. Kiwi

Nights? Warm. Days? Young.
52 Badges
Jan 22, 2009
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Iron Cross
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 200k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
My brother-in-law Emir Dhashwal has gone and got himself captured by the Rhodoks, so daddy wants me to go and save him. Fair enough. But I'm running into two problems:

Firstly, how can I tell if the nearby village has actually lit a fire and drawn away some of the guards?

Secondly, when I go and break the Emir out of jail and go back outside to the keep the blighter starts attacking me (as well as attacking and being attaked by the guards - he's hostile to everyone). It's a bit hard to draw fire and take the guards out when the prisoner I'm rescuing is hitting me in the back. If he goes down, it's shown in blue in the message log yet stops mission success.

I'm wealthy enough to ransom him if need be to avoid quest failure, and obviously I've got exit without saving enabled. But I'd much rather succeed at the daring rescue without the ungrateful sod attacking me.

Other background info: We're both loyal vassals of the Sultan, we have a relation of +1, and I've started accruing right to rule via emmisaries. When I rescued a prisoner in a previous game I still had the first problem, but not the second. Not sure if any of that is relevant.

You can't ransom him, that feature was never implemented.

The fire in the village, there will be significantly less guards present. But otherwise I don't think there is a proper way to know if its lit or not.

The rescued turning hostile is an old bug. Can't remember the exact details of the workaround, but it's something like save before doing the mission, if he turns hostile quit the game without saving. Relaod, he should be ok on the following attempt.

Last edited:
Hm. He's been hostile every attempt so far. It's a pain, because if I tell him to stay well back the Rhodok sharpshooters take him out, but if I tell him to come up with me he keeps turning his back on the Rhodok spearmen to attack me.