• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My thought reading the OP was exactly the same...."man it sounds like FFH would be perfect for this guy."

Same here. Rise From Erebus gives Civ 4 new life, I find it somewhat strange that the OP doesn't like it. Oh well, to each his own. In any case, this game looks like it will be amazing and will provide me another way to brutally butcher my free time.

For $20 I will buy this for sure. I am not 100% convinced I will love it for months, but I will certainly get some play time out of it. I read that Paradox games will only cost, at most, $30 from now on due to digital distribution, and I can say with confidence that I will always buy their games at that price. I wish more game companies were like that. $60 for a game is insane.

Same here. Rise From Erebus gives Civ 4 new life, I find it somewhat strange that the OP doesn't like it. Oh well, to each his own. In any case, this game looks like it will be amazing and will provide me another way to brutally butcher my free time.

If you like the CivIV so much, you should also test the fantastic Fantasy MOD for it: Fall from Heaven 2. I'm sure you'll like it. The creator of this mod is now working at Stardock making their new fantasy game: Elemental: Fallen Enchantress.

My thought reading the OP was exactly the same...."man it sounds like FFH would be perfect for this guy."

I have to be honest here, this is what really confuses me. From everything I read or heard about it, the way people talked about it, I thought it would be awesome. Exactly what I wanted. I know the guy said it actually sprang from a D&D campaign he runs or used to run.

I tried it expecting to love it. I thought it was terrible. I wanted Warrior, Thieves, Wizards, Clerics, Paladins, Dragons; learn spells, fireballs, slow poison, summon monsters; finding enchanted swords & armor, staffs, rings of power (no, not that one!)...I guess the best way to say it is a Baldur's Gate in Civ IV form. Those classes (or close, doesn't have to be D&D per say, but something along those lines), the kind of monsters from those worlds, researching chain lightning, and archery, and mounted cavalry with lances, that was what I was wanting and expecting.

When I played it, it was this odd frozen world, with very strange characters, and yeah, I saw some groups of goblins, and some spiders, but it just wasn't fun.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, but I wanted to love it, and thought so much it would be awesome. It was terrible.

In effect, I think I wanted what this game is (from what I've seen), and I know people have all kinds of differing views on how it relates to other games, but to me it is very Civ V oriented (the way it tells you what is next, no unit stack, the general feel of play). I think I will love this game a lot, but if ever given a choice, I would have preferred this "type" game with the Civ IV overall model.

Regardless, from what I've played, and if this game at least does decently sales wise, I think this will be a gem in the making.

One thing; does anyone know how to zoom in closer? Sometimes I just like to see the artwork of the creatures/buildings/etc., but as of now it does not zoom in that far. In Elemental, you could completely disable zoom limit, and Civ IV you can get a lot closer. Is there a setting that would allow me to cause zoom in further, perhaps the *.ini file? If it is there, I couldn't locate it yet.

In terms of complexitiy I have to agree that I would have loved to see some more options like small hero units which you can send on quests with great rewards being offered like it was in the "Warlords" series or in "War of the lance" from SSI which was set in the AD&D world. It would have given the little extra fun but besides this the game feels and plays out great.
Who cares for the Civ like mechanics; they used to be good and why not copy a system most players know really good instead of making something of their own which would have end in a mess?

Maybe with a success of the game some new ideas from the community will find their ways into the game as an addon or DLC....

I tried it expecting to love it. I thought it was terrible. I wanted Warrior, Thieves, Wizards, Clerics, Paladins, Dragons; learn spells, fireballs, slow poison, summon monsters; finding enchanted swords & armor, staffs, rings of power (no, not that one!)...I guess the best way to say it is a Baldur's Gate in Civ IV form. Those classes (or close, doesn't have to be D&D per say, but something along those lines), the kind of monsters from those worlds, researching chain lightning, and archery, and mounted cavalry with lances, that was what I was wanting and expecting.

When I played it, it was this odd frozen world, with very strange characters, and yeah, I saw some groups of goblins, and some spiders, but it just wasn't fun.

Oh, haha, you played the wrong thing. Age of Ice is a tiny scenario and is not the actual FFH2 mod, not even close. FFH2 has everything you just said you wanted.

* Deleted *

Direct links to other forums are not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, haha, you played the wrong thing. Age of Ice is a tiny scenario and is not the actual FFH2 mod, not even close. FFH2 has everything you just said you wanted.

* Deleted *
Wait, I tried the wrong game? or mod?

The link brings you to a "bug" thread. How do I get to the mod itself to download and try it?

I'd be quite happy if it did exist as what I really wanted.

THIS GAME (Warlock), I think is the game I want, just modeled after Civ V not Civ IV (in general).

I'm guessing you played a scenario included with Civ4 gold called Fall from Heaven: Age of Ice. It's nothing at all like the FFH2 mod IIRC, it's like a 30mb scenario and it's main purpose was like background story, the actual FFH2 mod is like 700mb or something. The download link was at the top of that thread. Obviously I can't link it again for whatever reason.

yeah if you just google civ 4 fall from heaven 2 the first link will be to where you can download the mod. It does sound like you were playing the small scenario that came with one of the versions of civ 4.

Just a recommendation too, google "knight's erebus" and download her map/scenario for the game. Using the random map generator scripts can be terribly frustrating for someone new to the mod.....the scenario starts you out with pretty perfect positioning of the factions, resources, dungeons, and so forth. Send me a PM if you can't find it and need a link. I can upload it somewhere if need be.

Honestly though, give it a try. And when Warlock comes out, play both!

I've gotten more entertainment out of FFH than any standalone game I've played in the last decade. Even EU3, and I've put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into that.

Do not forget Fallen Enchantress, made by the same guy. I Warlock more so far though but that game has some development time left. I hope they update the graphics while they are at it.

Having options is something to embrace and be happy about. It's like the sudden surge of 4x turn based space strategy games, Endless Space is stunning already in it's alpha state.

Btw, for those who still play CIVIV, are there any other recent mods one should look for? I have thought about getting back into that game.

* Deleted *

Direct links to other forums are not permitted.
Hey, I don't want to get anyone in trouble talking about other forums/games, but I just wanted to give a thank you out to you.

I have tried Fall From Heaven 2, but basically, when I started it, I thought it was the same game as "The Age of Ice," so I did not enjoy it and turned it off quickly.

I have tried it again and it is much better than I realized, so thanks for pointing out my mistake, and my apologies about stating it was so bad. Certain aspects I would like better if they were done a bit differently, but overall, I think I see now what everyone was talking about so positively!