• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(110866)

Sergeant
4 Badges
Aug 14, 2008
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Playing HTTT, westernised tech and then military with Mutapa to the Latin group.

I get Latin infantry, and can even train Latin cannons. But still no cavalry at all. In the military box where I choose what type of infantry I want, the cavalry bit is greyed out, it says I can't field cavalry yet.

The option for cannon is there though, and I can change the type of cannon and train them as normal in my core African provinces.

Is this a bug?

What version are you running? This was a known issue that I believe was fixed in one of the earliest 4.1 beta patches. If you started in a tech group that didn't have any cavalry available you could never build them even if you changed tech/unit groups.

What version are you running? This was a known issue that I believe was fixed in one of the earliest 4.1 beta patches. If you started in a tech group that didn't have any cavalry available you could never build them even if you changed tech/unit groups.

I haven't patched it, that must be the issue.

Will my save games be OK if I patch it now? And should that sort it for my campaign or would I have to start again?

I don't recall any major incompatibility but savegames are never guaranteed to work with new patches. You could make a backup before patching and if you notice any problems go back to the pre-patched version if you don't want to start a new game.
Note that the final 4.1 patch introduced a few new bugs that generally outweigh its improvements over the last beta patch in my opinion so I would use the beta instead:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?473587-4.1-Update-29th-of-April-2010