• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eleanore

Corporal
2 Badges
Apr 24, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
I feel stupid having to ask this, but I can't find any way to send new armies to help my city during a siege. My huge hired army stands beside the besieged city and doesn't seem to be doing anything. All I can do is move the army from province to province, but I can't find a way to direct it to attack the enemy who is besieging my city. Thank you in advance for your help.

I feel stupid having to ask this, but I can't find any way to send new armies to help my city during a siege. My huge hired army stands beside the besieged city and doesn't seem to be doing anything. All I can do is move the army from province to province, but I can't find a way to direct it to attack the enemy who is besieging my city. Thank you in advance for your help.

I'll admit I'm quite confused. The enemy army which is laying siege is in the county (province as you called it) that is under siege. Move your men there, and they'll attack the besieging army.

Careful with mercs, though; they pop up with 0 morale. Give them a bit to prepare before sending them into combat.

Another thing you can do to help with the battle is, once your relief force enters the county, raise the levies in the county under siege, if there are still unraised ones. I do this mainly with peasant revolts, but it can help to mitigate casualties and inflict more damage while pursuing a retreating opponent.

I hope some or all of this helps!

Aha. The mercenaries popped up in the same county where the siege was taking place (my capital). Maybe this is why they didn't do anything - they were preparing? Or maybe they are fighting and I'm just not seeing the indicators. As you can tell, I am still trying to figure out the mechanics of war in this game.

I was wondering whether it would be a mistake to raise levies, if it would weaken the city under siege. Since you recommend it, I'll try it. Thank you.

Lord Xia: Sorry, didn't see your post at first. In this case it wasn't vassals, but that's good to know. I am finding it difficult to see what's going on during a siege, but I'll keep trying.

Aha. The mercenaries popped up in the same county where the siege was taking place (my capital). Maybe this is why they didn't do anything - they were preparing? Or maybe they are fighting and I'm just not seeing the indicators. As you can tell, I am still trying to figure out the mechanics of war in this game.

I was wondering whether it would be a mistake to raise levies, if it would weaken the city under siege. Since you recommend it, I'll try it. Thank you.

Lord Xia: Sorry, didn't see your post at first. In this case it wasn't vassals, but that's good to know. I am finding it difficult to see what's going on during a siege, but I'll keep trying.

Who is warring? If your mercenaries popped up in the capital, the forces in the capital aren't hostile. Check the colour of their troop numbers; if it shows in grey, they're non-hostile. Does someone else have a holding in this county that they're laying siege to? Otherwise it just doesn't make sense unless this is a vassal of yours who is at war.

OK, things are starting to make sense to me now. So much going on, everyone declaring war on me, seems I lost track of what was really happening. It was my home county, but NOT my own holding. It was a city being defended by the mayor. I was assuming he was defending on my behalf but maybe he was involved in his own war and I missed it. He was fighting my enemy, or so I thought, but my mercenaries would not get involved so maybe I am wrong about that. It was late at night and obviously I shouldn't try to play this game when I'm not alert.

There is so much to learn in this game and I really appreciate the help here.

OK, things are starting to make sense to me now. So much going on, everyone declaring war on me, seems I lost track of what was really happening. It was my home county, but NOT my own holding. It was a city being defended by the mayor. I was assuming he was defending on my behalf but maybe he was involved in his own war and I missed it. He was fighting my enemy, or so I thought, but my mercenaries would not get involved so maybe I am wrong about that. It was late at night and obviously I shouldn't try to play this game when I'm not alert.

There is so much to learn in this game and I really appreciate the help here.
indeed as you said, just because your vassal is at war doesn't mean you are at war with his enemy (his enemy might be another vassal of yours for example)
simply put, if the army/host is in a red box, it's a force hostile against you. if it's blue, it's an ally/your force. if it's neutral, it's an army that has nothing to do with you (aside from attrition)

This is true, but also keep in mind your vassals may be warring against each other, and you can't join those wars.
and if this is indeed the case, your only hope is to increase crown authority (which makes your vassals hate you) or twiddle your thumbs (which makes you hate yourself), or assassinate the aggressor (which makes your vassals and your hate yourself).

No wonder I was confused. I wasn't paying enough attention to the details. Well, I get bored with games once I figure out how to win them easily - not much danger of that with this game. I love it.

No wonder I was confused. I wasn't paying enough attention to the details. Well, I get bored with games once I figure out how to win them easily - not much danger of that with this game. I love it.

Well, that's the right attitude :)

You should get a message when your vassals start a war. If it says something along the lines of "Duke Insignificant of Stickinmud declares war on Count Evenmoreinsignificant of Seriouslynothinghere (plot of Duke Insignificant of Stickinmud" you can arrest the plot leader, even if you hadn't learned of it before. Since he was head of a plot, this is considered justified, and ends those pesky internal wars.

I absolutely would suggest increasing crown authority, though. At least medium, potentially high; in my opinion those two are the best options.

Thank you - I am going to check my message settings for that. So many messages fly by so fast that I turned some off, probably a mistake. I've started a new game and this time I'm not going to assume anything :laugh:

Thank you - I am going to check my message settings for that. So many messages fly by so fast that I turned some off, probably a mistake. I've started a new game and this time I'm not going to assume anything :laugh:

Rodrigo now favours Sancho as heir to the duchy of Cherson!
Rodrigo now favours Ioannes as heir to the duchy of Cherson!
Ioannes now favours himself as heir to the duchy of Cherson!
Rodrigo now favours Urraca as heir to the duchy of Cherson!

...I know what you mean. ;)

This happened to me once and then I realized I was truly to use holy orders to fight christians. If you have a stack then enter a battle with a christain the holy order just chills

AHA! Something else I didn't know, and yes I had hired the religious mercenaries.

I know about the wiki site but I'd like to see a strategy book for this game. It would be a help. The writers could use this board for reference.

AHA! Something else I didn't know, and yes I had hired the religious mercenaries.

I know about the wiki site but I'd like to see a strategy book for this game. It would be a help. The writers could use this board for reference.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-Meneth-and-Novapaddy&p=13680214#post13680214
this is one of the best out there made by two fellow users.
it doesn't seem to contain updates on the 1.05 changes though (mainly the Coastal CB of the Italian Republics and the changes with the Crusade CB which now targets the kingdom instead of the duchy, plus the whole joining other's wars and similar things)
If you don't want to download the pdf, then the thread itself is here
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?589469-GUIDE-In-depth-Guide-to-CKII

Last edited: