• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wonder if it's due to his schizophrenia that he's unable to concentrate on one nemesis! :D

Great job with the cipher I think, had a great time cracking that. :) I have read The Da Vinci Code but fortunately didn't remember how it worked before I had got pretty far "manually".

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I wasn't as happy with the cipher as I expected because it appears that the atbas doesn't work in English as well as it does in Hebrew (may be mispelled) because (as far as I know, the following may be wrong thou) the Hebrew language doesn't have single letters, instead it has syllables that work as letters and thus mixing them creates "understandable" text instead of stuff like mine.

Anyway, for those who want to read the ciphering but don't bother to look for help:

ABCDEFGHI J KLN
ZYXWVUTSRQPOM

If the letter is in the upper line then use the one below it and vice versa

Last edited:
A big thank you to the readers for the character writer award and for reaching +1000 views! You're the ones that keep me doing this.

loki100 in the character writer award thread said:
Manius Pomponius Matho, who seems to be totally nuts and living up to his middle name.
And that's what I'm about to keep happening all the way :p

The diary of a madman
Chapter III
Towards the light

I got a couple of governor tax increase events, just a good thing as the money never hurts the state (just don't talk about individuals and collecting the money) and I'm preparing for the next war. I was changing the research guys and accidentally placed Manius there, later when I hadn't realized that I was like "jebus, has the guy died or why I can't find him in the unemployed list??"

AAR24.jpg

AAR25.jpg

AAR26.jpg

I question the quality of any background checks the senate does before appointing people. :D

Well Manius seems to be having a few issues:laugh:
Is he going to discover something in his mind :ninja:
good luck.

Hahaha, great stuff. I love Manius really, and I hope this is foreshadowing of something greater.

An update coming, hopefully this evening! I must apologize for the update speed slowing down but it's always a challenge to find any motivation to play AARs in summer as there are million other things to do :D

loki100 said:
one feels that Manius is one misinterpreted glance away from starting his very own civil war (possibly with himself) ... also I think I'd be a wee bit cautious at going to sea on one of his ships

It appeared that the ships are fine but there happened something else that made the consul a bit unhappy...

Malurous said:
I question the quality of any background checks the senate does before appointing people. :D

Yeah it might be a good idea to check what kind of people you hire, especially if you are planning a war against a foe behind a sea :D

dragonizer said:
Well Manius seems to be having a few issues :D
Is he going to discover something in his mind :ninja:
good luck.

Thanks! We'll see what he comes up with, I'm a little worried about it.. :D

Saithis said:
Hahaha, great stuff. I love Manius really, and I hope this is foreshadowing of something greater.

Thank you! I'll tell a little bit of the next update and say that Manius had a 65% possibility to lose his head (if I remember the event right) but somehow survived, not that it would calm him down... :p

Woops thought it was a update. :sad:
Just got done reading SFORZA AAR :sleep:

The diary of a madman
Chapter IV
Punic war #2 - Part 1

AAR27.jpg

I ended up declaring war on Carhage again and expected another quick walkover conquest. Luckily, for the sake of the AAR, it didn't happen again.

AAR28.jpg

AAR29.jpg

Because my average general had martial skill of 5 and best had 7, any dream of winning the battles were doomed. During the first half a year I managed to pull one victory, which was against a smaller army that my own. At least this is about to become very interesting war..

Battles.jpg

Can't wait is he going to embarrass the consul?
Or just ruin him.
Got the game haven't installed yet to busy:sad:

@ loki100: I found another reason for the battle outcomes along the generals. Carthaginian armies were mostly like 3000 militia + 18000 archers, while my armies were 50-50 heavy infantry and archers. And archers have 200% or 150% "damage" or whatever it is against heavy infantry so the result was pretty nasty. Luckily for me I own 6 provinces that can recruit horses so the tide of war may change just in case the mercenary cavalry is enough against their archer armies...

@ dragonizer: He wasn't exactly about to embarrass the consul, let's say "make him mad" would be better as you can read below :p

--

The diary of a madman
Chapter V
Punic war #2 - Part 2

I must apologize for this particular diary page.. I learnt that it is not adviced to write your AARs when you're über tired. I realized it later that I'm just telling the same things over and over again here..

AAR30.jpg

AAR31.jpg

AAR32.jpg

Just to clear it in case someone doesn't know all Rome events (and as I don't have a screenshot about the event), the game has an event where the shipwright is blamed on stealing some cargo from the harbour. The player has 2 options, one having chances to kill (65% chance if I recall right) or wound (35% chance) the shipwright and another option giving the ruler "trusting" trait and leaving the shipwright alone. I took the risk that I'd have to change a character and chose the first one. Luckily Manius survived but he got wounded so now with the schizophrenia trait he has health -50% or something so he may die any day...
ps. my bad once again, darn typo in the "I I'll be needing"...

AAR33.jpg

Last edited:
aye, if you suffer from paranoia, its really bad news when someone really is after you ... fascinating use of the event, presume that is from Epigoni? I was initially suspicious our rather bonkers Manius had gone so far over the edge and was planning on selling the armour and weapons to the Carthaginians

aye, if you suffer from paranoia, its really bad news when someone really is after you ... fascinating use of the event, presume that is from Epigoni? I was initially suspicious our rather bonkers Manius had gone so far over the edge and was planning on selling the armour and weapons to the Carthaginians

Had to check it. It apparently is vanilla event number 2902.

Code:
# Stolen Cargo
country_event = {

id = 2902

trigger = {
		ruler = { not = { traits = foolish } }
		num_of_ports = 1
		any_character = {
			has_office = naval_tech
			not = { traits = wounded }
			or = {
				traits = stressed
				traits = jealous
				traits = rash
				traits = ambitious
				traits = cold
				traits = arrogant
				traits = shrewd
				traits = deceitful
				traits = selfish
				traits = vengeful
				traits = corrupt
				traits = lapsed
			}
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 240

modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			ruler = { wealth = 1000 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			ruler = { wealth = 500 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			ruler = { not = { popularity = 30 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			ruler = { not = { popularity = 20 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			ruler = { not = { popularity = 10 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.2
			ruler = { popularity = 90 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.2
			ruler = { popularity = 80 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.2
			ruler = { popularity = 70 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.2
			ruler = { traits = generous }
		}
	}

title = "EVTNAME2902"

desc = "EVTDESC2902"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA2902"					# I'll be needing a new shipwright very soon
		random_list = {
			65 = {
				random_character = {
					limit = { has_office = naval_tech }
					death = yes
				}
			}
			35 = {
				random_character = {
					add_trait = wounded
				}
			}
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB2902"					# I'm pretty sure it was someone else
		random = {
			chance = 70
			ruler = {
				add_trait = foolish
				add_trait = trusting
			}
			random_character = {
				wealth = 500
			}
		}
	}
}

Aaaand yes, I was actually thinking about making him sell the stuff to Carthage but as there was no Carthaginian armies in Italy and especially when you've been almost killed it might be hard to do blackmarket business with another nation..

I hope I'll get another chance to make him do something stupid which might allow a couple of juicy changes to the ordinary life in Rome ;)

Hiding in a small shack in the woods? Things seem to have taken an ugly turn for good ol' Manius, but I suppose he kind of had it coming! :D

Poor Manius, I suppose he did walk himself into this one. No wonder the Consul was upset.

The war with Carthage is going terribly, Rome's generals are inadequate and the armies poorly selected for this kind of work, it seems. Hopefully those horse can make it to the front before all is lost, or Rome's reputation will be heavily battered...

This is a cool AAR! I'm currently listening to Ozzy's Diary of a Madman... seems fitting some how...

This is a cool AAR! I'm currently listening to Ozzy's Diary of a Madman... seems fitting some how...

There just might be some little coincidence why I ended up with that name for the part... :p

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm hoping to get an update or two ready this weekend because I may not have time during the weeks.