• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I haven't yet played CKII (my copy is in the mail) but just from reading, I like this change. Genoa and Venice were enormously powerful IRL, controlling regions ranging from Croatia, Cyprus and Crete, to half of Istanbul, pieces of Tunis and the Crimea. Venice and Genoa together even helped bring down the Byzantine Empire.

The merchant republics were very powerful at that time and continued to be so until the Black Death devastated them in the 1400s, and an earthquake destroyed the Republic of Ragusa in the 1600s. :)

In a game I just finished I had the Doge of Munster running crazy in the British isles. He held around 8 or 9 duchies and had most of Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Brittany as well as bits of England. Most of it from the coastal invasion CB. Was pretty funny to watch Munster repeatedly grabbing land from everyone nearby. Never formed the Kingdom (Or Serne-Doge) of Ireland though.

In a game I just finished I had the Doge of Munster running crazy in the British isles. He held around 8 or 9 duchies and had most of Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Brittany as well as bits of England. Most of it from the coastal invasion CB. Was pretty funny to watch Munster repeatedly grabbing land from everyone nearby. Never formed the Kingdom (Or Serne-Doge) of Ireland though.

Lack of Piety maybe? The AI probably doesn't have any information about buying Papal Indulgences to reach 200. Wanna check and tell? :D

Could be, I'm not sure if there's any reason that a Doge would get less piety than a feudal lord. Maybe. Thing is, the various Doge's held enough of Ireland for near enough 250 years. Perhaps they were all just terribly ungodly people. Money-grabbing mayors. =D

In the few games I had Genoa has blobbed Italy, even seemingly scaring off the HRE somehow, A feat I have yet to be able to do.

It is a touch silly at how easily they use it.

I'd say more than a touch! There should be at least SOME consequence or restriction to this.

It's overpowered, simple as that. Historical basis is fine to an extent, but not at the sake of gameplay.