• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anyone wants to speculate about real top speed of new ships and submarines?
Hey. I think you touched on an interesting topic .. When the authors talk about the war in 2030, and Innovations, which will be then. The fact is, the game of its kind - maritime strategy in real time requires knowledge of the mass of the technical parameters of missiles, sonar, artillery guns, torpedoes, and the like. But look at the moment we have limited knowledge on this subject. Due to the fact that the weapons of the future. Base-in-arms, types of ships, boats, submarines must exist in the games of this class. Unfortunately, it still does not. Perhaps it is hidden information of developers. I think the players to the war in this way - like digging in the sandbox. Have a nice day.

Max speeds for a frigate or destroyer range from about 26 to 35 knots, an aircraft carrier would be about 30 to 35 knots, a small fast attack craft may reach 40+ knots and a normal small ship (eg a mine hunter) would be from about 14 to 20 knots. As the top speed of individual ships is classified there is no way of being 100% accurate.

Submarines are a whole different level of secret though and so there is no real way of knowing their true top speed.

Max speeds for a frigate or destroyer range from about 26 to 35 knots, an aircraft carrier would be about 30 to 35 knots, a small fast attack craft may reach 40+ knots and a normal small ship (eg a mine hunter) would be from about 14 to 20 knots. As the top speed of individual ships is classified there is no way of being 100% accurate.

Submarines are a whole different level of secret though and so there is no real way of knowing their true top speed.
it was before, and as will be in the future?

My grandmother (yeah, you heard me right, LoL) got to go on a trial run aboard a Flight II Arleigh Burke DDG. When they opened her up on the high seas, they taped a piece of paper over the gauges so the speed they were traveling couldn't be seen since it is classified. She said the ship was throwing a rooster tail half the height of the ship behind it. That is fast for such a large ship, real fast. My grandfathers Fletcher class DD in WWII would do 33 knots, so I don't see why a modern or future Burke couldn't do 40, probably closer to 45.

I don't think a Burke would hit 40 or 45, probably 35 is max sustained speed with bursts of speed > 35 on short periods. You have to remember that current modern destroyer are much much bigger than your Fletcher class WW2 destroyer.

To put things into perspective, the Fletcher class had a max weight of 2,500 tons and a max speed of 36.5 knots (wiki data), but a Burke is 4 times bigger with ~ 10.000 tons displacement so I don't really think a Burke would go much faster than a Fletcher really.

it was before, and as will be in the future?
Unless some radical new power generation technology comes along then yes.
Diesel engines and gas turbines are mature technology by now, so we're unlikely to see a massive increase in power to weight/volume ratios.
Without such an increase it's unlikely that we're going to be fitting more power in our ships.

My grandmother (yeah, you heard me right, LoL) got to go on a trial run aboard a Flight II Arleigh Burke DDG. When they opened her up on the high seas, they taped a piece of paper over the gauges so the speed they were traveling couldn't be seen since it is classified. She said the ship was throwing a rooster tail half the height of the ship behind it. That is fast for such a large ship, real fast. My grandfathers Fletcher class DD in WWII would do 33 knots, so I don't see why a modern or future Burke couldn't do 40, probably closer to 45.
The Fletcher class had about 60.000 shp and displaced 2500 tons fully loaded which equates to 24 shp/ton.
The Arleigh Burke class has app 108.000 shp and displaces about 10.100 tons (Flight IIA) which equates to 10,7 shp/ton
Now, since the Arleigh Burke class is so much bigger than the Fletchers it does get to take advantage of a much higher hydrodynamic efficiency. (The same efficiency that allows the 156,907 ton Mærsk E-class container ships to do 25kts with ease with 108.000shp)
On the other hand the Burke class has a much smaller length to beam ratio, which reduces its theoretical speeds.
So no, it's not reasonable to think that they could do 45+ kts.

Newer ships do not have propellers they run on jet stream. I wonder if that is quieter than having a propeller and the effect on speed.

I think the main warships during the "Cold War" had a rate of 30 -33 knots. This is a big speed. There are ships that can give up to 40-45 knots, but this is more the exception than the rule. The situation can change only nanotechnology.

The main constraint here is that the amount of power needed for higher speeds increases very rapidly beyond a certain speed, generally in the 25-30 knot range. At this point the only way to get speed without massive amounts of power is to use a planing or semi-planing hull, which has its own issues for military craft, and is not practical on large vessels.

I would be suprised if we see large surface combatants (anything over ~3000tons) with maximum speeds over 38 knots by 2030, and even those will be the exception. Most of the 'fast' units will no doubt continue to remain around the 32-35 knot mark. There will of course be exceptions, like FACs or the LCSs, but these will be smaller or make serious sacrifices for that performance.

Outside of FACs and small corvettes, water jets are still very much the exception.

The new LCS runs on water jet propulsion and they are a BIG ship.