Interest and development thread for a new Kingdom game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Practically speaking, I don't think it would do any harm to have you play the Prince-Proxy of Sudwald, as it's a title with the same essential rank as the Great Lords and can easily be balanced with them. So if it's your first choice, go right ahead. We can always just leave Midlands npc for the start in case someone else wants to jump in.

To be honest, I kinda grew bored with Sudwald after I fleshed out everything; I got the itch out. However, I think I could have fun with the Midlands. But as I said, I would like to change things up juust a little bit, and of course dictate a coat of arms and a family motto. It'll be up after dinner, so no later than four hours from now. I hope. :)

EDIT:

So, for the crest I'd prefer something like:

With the motto "Strength in Seed and Steed"

For those of you who can't discern what is what from my amazing paint skills, it is a green field with maroon chevron and three horseshoes.

I like the family outlined by Mr. Santiago, and all the rest works for me; however, I would like to make the additions as follows:

Lord Edward- 66 ---- Lady Annabella- 41
l
l
V
Guy- Dead Emma- 19 Ana-17

Ana instead of Annabella again, for all our sake. And Ana is now part of this:

Ana- 17 ---- Viscount Daniel Manson- 45
l
l
V
David- 3

This way, there is some competition for the throne; if Emma cannot marry and have a boy in time, or if Edward and Annabella cannot get a son...well, to put it lightly, fit will hit the shan.

Lord Edward is still "the simple," and Lady Annabella is still an extremely rich Burgher whose influence is dominating right now.

I shall address the history of the region in my own way, while remaining rather true to the ideas of Mr. Santiago.

Ok, here goes:

House Harrald is one of the oldest noble houses surviving to this day, tracing its lineage to great kings of central Neumark before the conquest by the Great Empire of classic history (you said celtic-->roman-->etc, this is before roman, or rather high celtic). From then on they have ruled over their ancestral lands as simple lords, faithfully serving whoever held the high throne of Neumark. To this day, they remain one of the largest supporters of the Royal house.

The Midlands themselves used to comprise of both the current Midlands and its vassal Bernford, but over time their natural divisions led to differing cultures. The Midlands remained focused on crops and horse warfare, while Bernford grew more akin to the Clans who border their Eastern boundary, developing more natural skill as hunters and archers with an economy more focused on game and various minor meats.

Both regions retain their ancient holdings, which developed into a system of Holds. Rather than hamlets or other such settlements crossing the lands, extended families live together in Holds, solid, two-storied structures which acts as both living quarters and barn. The poorer ones are wooden, sometimes with wooden palisades, while the wealthier ones are stone, surrounded by walls of either stone or wood. Intermarriage of relatives is not the norm, as women leave their holds to the homes of their husbands. The notable exceptions are the towns and cities typically marked on maps, which are locations for the intermingling of holds on neutral ground. It is believed that Harrald was one such hold, which bred enough men to form a cavalry regiment used to intimidate and eventually rule the neighboring holds, until their power spread across the region.

The Midlands are commonly called the bread basket of the nation, and truly their holds produce grain crops aplenty via extensive irrigation of both the Glauborne and the Abanmal. The centermost region of the Midlands is open plains, where fields grow undisturbed and largely free from human interaction, with the exception of horse breeders who frequently come to supplant their stock with some of the numerous, famed wild horses of those plains. Bernford, named for the lake nearby, has hills in its Eastern and Southern corners, with forests encroaching from those directions as well. The holds in these regions tend to focus less on grain, growing only enough for the tax, preferring to make their living by hunting the plentiful game coming from the Highlands, or by raising small meatstuffs such as sheep.

The natural expanse of the Midlands led to the rise of light cavalry, who are a terror on the plains. These forces comprise an abnormally large portion of the Midland army, and are perfect for swiftly striking the enemy from any open angle. These troops are supported by the hunters of Bernford, who provide both light infantry and archers. Heavy infantry often equal in amount to the light infantry, forming a solid center for the light troops to work from. These heavy infantry are raised from the men of the holds, who train for these roles specifically, being able to buy the necessary gear due to the great wealth of the region and the free trade of Glorket. A typical Midland army has 25% heavy and light infantry each, 35% light cavalry, and 15% archers. Knights are rare in the land, with only the royal house providing any form of heavy cavalry; even then, these are usually in reserve as the general's bodyguard.

(So for the cities I'm just going to quote Mr. Santiago, with spelling corrections and some changes for my slightly different histor):

Glorket (city)
If the Middlands are Neumark's breadbasket, then Glorket (a derivation from Glauborne Market) is where the bread is wheighed, measured and sold. Initialy a small castle on a hill by the river, it has turned into an active trading hub. Thanks to the decadence of the house of Harrald, the burgers are gaining more freedom. Rumours go that they are willing to become a chartered city, if they can gain (or buy) the King's favour.

Stonewall (castle)
Built where the Crownway turns east to avoid the Fenlands the castle is a reminder of richer days, since all the stone for its massive walls and five towers was ferried from the Upper Glauborne, then overland to the site, as the site is close to the marshes and no suitable rock could be found. However, it was not the house's last work, as they built the stretch of the road that goes to the Abanmal, known as Harrald's Causeway to this day.

Wheelwright (town)
A small township in the middle of the flatlands, it concentrates the activity of the nearby holds, which form a sort of fortified town, with each home individually fortified. Caravans carrying wool and wheat depart to Glorket every week. The only remarkable point is the large cathedral built by the High Church a century ago, from which many monks of St. Collin are produced.

Amerton (town)
It began as an inn over the road to the capitol. With time it grew slowly and now it's a community of a few thousand souls, trading with both the travelers and nearby farmers

Bernford
A rather small county compared to it's neighbours, here the foothills of the Mist Mountains are covered by a thick forest where the boar, the bear and the deer are plenty.

King's Lodge (castle)
Initially hunting lodge in the middle of the woods, it got its name when Leothric spent the summer of 142 AC hunting there, under an invitation from the Lord Harrald. To mark the ocasion, the lodge was expanded and a wooden wall was built surrounding it, along with a few towers, hence earning the category of Castle

St. Collin (town & monastery)
Seeking isolation for his studies, St. Colin created the small abbey in a small valley, with a narrow road connecting it to lake Bern. The monastery grew and now it has a small village attached to it, to mind for the monk's worldly matters and liberate them for their contemplation.

Last edited:
Hmm. I promise to stop spamming this thread after this :blush:

This website provides general info about coat-of-arms, so we can all see what our designs "really" mean!

http://www.fleurdelis.com/meanings.htm

So for the Midlands, we have:

Hope, Loyalty, Love- green
Patient in battle, and yet victorious- maroon
Good luck and safe from evil- horseshoes
Faithful service and protection- chevron

Wow, cool how some trends arose! Loyal to the man, and secure- due to their smart warfare? Always sees the good in the king since hopeful- reason for loyalty?

Anyway, I had fun with it.

Here's House Olaffson's family tree and good work with the coat of arms for Vastaskland.

Motto: "Toward the Guide Star"

Lord Harald Olaffson (age 22)
Married to Mariam (age 19)
Children: Ketil (age 3), Joran (age 1)

Erik Olaffson (deceased at 27)(brother to Harald)
Married to Lilia (age 23)
Children: Taric (age 5), Lilia (age 7)

Rollo Olaffson (deceased at 24) (brother to Harald)
Married to Olga (deceased at 20)
Children: Nevan (deceased at age 3)

Martin Horn (age 51) (uncle to Harald through mother's family)
Married to Helga (deceased)
Children: Stephen (age 30), Gidurn (age 27)

One more thing I would like to see at least explained is the names of the settlements in Norwald, Storskogen and Skargard. Fjelfort is awesome, Torskviken is awesome, Forest Tower is unimaginative but works. Ristalina and Rautio sound feminine, and don't stick to the theme so far shown. They are survivable, but not nearly as bad as Blasigtpoang...wut? I know it means windy points, which makes sense for the mountains, but I would much rather prefer something like Kalla Höjder, cold heights. Batuvaran is not as bad in my opinion, but still sounds off. Both Blasigtpoang and Batuvaran sound asian, and I think should be replaced with more traditcionally nordic-sounding names. As mentioned, I like Kalla Höjder, and Batuvaran could be Snöfält, snow field.

IMHO Ristalina could be Walterhem, home of Walter, and Rautio could be Klarjord, clear soil. Both stick true to the narrative written, as Walterhem is the seat where Walter settled, and Klarjord is the arable land given to his nobles, along with Snofalt, a clearing which can grow crops but gets more snow than Klarjord as it is higher and farther from the relatively speaking river, being in the fore of a great mountain range.

I am not trying to trash on Mr. Santiago, who put remarkable effort into this map, which I most definitely would be unable to make. Nor am I trying to down talk the imaginative setting Deag put forth early in this thread. I simply would like to express my opinion about an aspect of this game which I may be forced upon. If any of this could be implemented (of course, all would be nice) I would be happy, but I would not be distraught by any means if none of this was considered.

How dare you question my work! :mad:

Nah,
It's ok, now I'll answer your concerns in the best possible way.

Even though it doesn't seem so, all those names (and it's Ratuvaran, the mountain there is confusing) are kinda nordic of origin, either by random google translation by me or by other poster's input. As for windy points, I thought it was fitting por a pointy island in the northern sea, so shoot me.

I can't change some of the earlier names, for stuff related to Corel Draw (once you handle more than 50 objects it gets buggy), but I'll look into changing the newer ones according to your suggestions.

Oh, by the way it appears Mr. Santiago made my St. Marcus church be named St. Andrew, like the monastary? was this on purpose?

Things that happen when mapping at late hours, it shall be changed.

Feel free to accomodate yourself to the Midlands, though I enjoyed having that idiot for Lord.... And I forgot to add that Lady Annabella is from one of Glorket's richest families, that might help earning their loyalty back. (FYI I'm listing their loyalty at 60% now, which reduces the income you get from them)

Hmm. I promise to stop spamming this thread after this :blush:

This website provides general info about coat-of-arms, so we can all see what our designs "really" mean!

Wow, cool how some trends arose! Loyal to the man, and secure- due to their smart warfare? Always sees the good in the king since hopeful- reason for loyalty?

Anyway, I had fun with it.

Actually, from my personal experience with heraldry, it's not that taxative that green means love and that... Those 'meanings' are sometimes added by the bucket heraldry shops in an attempt to lure customers in. You have to see shield by shield what to the tinctures and charges actually mean. Though some signs are evident, like having the Tudor rose only if you're somehow linked to them.

I understand, Santiago. I'll keep it quick since I'm on my phone. Like I said, I meant no offense to your work, there's no need to shoot you ;)

That fleur-de-lis thing? I expected as much; we could pretend, couldn't we? :cool:

I also planned on the characters retaining your flair; I must have skipped it somehow, and will fix it later. But there is still a bumblin fool on the seat! ...and money from the burgers (I didn't get that right did I).

Last edited:
Redid the House Carr CoA:
House Carr.png

Updated roster (by my count):

Fenland: House Carr, Lords of Still Waters. Called by Nodscouterr.

Uppland: House Skutling, Lords of Mount and Vale. Called by Polar Mongoose

Norwald: House Alton, Lords of Winter. Called by Hyder.

Midlands: House Harrald, Lords of Hearth and Harvest. Called by madtemplar0

Vestaskland: House Olafsson, Lords of Ash and Smoke. called by EmperorGrimm.

Summervale: Lords of Summer. Called by Hygge.

Dawnlands: Lords of Morning. Called by Spitfire.

Dale: Called by DoomBunny

Last edited:
I'll take the reins of Auberville.

You mean Aubeville? :p

They are a free city, are they not? And yet I am not sure if this is possible since they are the capital... on that note, who is our king? Deag?

How could you forget Morrell? :/

Uhm, you forgot Morrell calling Wyneland. You also forgot Stucken, who did quite a bit of work on Uppland already and IMO should get first call.

I'll take the reins of Auberville.

You mean Aubeville? :p

They are a free city, are they not? And yet I am not sure if this is possible since they are the capital... on that note, who is our king? Deag?

They are the capital, but they do have autonomy, check Doom's backstory a while ago. The King ATM is NPC, so you may say Deag's the King. The good ol' chap may be dying soon, triggering a succesion crisis, very nice for you all to play with

How could you forget Morrell? :/

Uhm, you forgot Morrell calling Wyneland. You also forgot Stucken, who did quite a bit of work on Uppland already and IMO should get first call.

How could I forget Morrell?

See? That's why I post things here first, so... Here's the roster:

Uppland: House Skutling, Lords of Mount and Vale. Called by Stuckensmith

Wyneland: Called by Morrell

Aubeville: Called by Keldonia

On a separate count. I've been working with the military system... Begining with Deag's work, I've came up with the following:

Troop types:

Levies:
Light infantry (cost .2 per turn)
Archers (cost .3 per turn)

Trained, light troops:
Drilled infantry (.5 per turn)
Drilled archers (.75 per turn)
Light Cavalry (.75 per turn)

Heavy troops:
Heavy infantry (1 per turn)
Knights (1.5 per turn)

With those numbers, I've created an army for the king, considering he's the richest of all, with an income of 1.690 and castles big enough to suport 660 in troops. Now, spending all I could spend, and keeping the troops in the castles (so a part of them cost nothing), it has the following:

Light inf.: 2.000
Drilled inf.: 500
Heavy inf.: 400
Archers: 1.000
Drilled arch.: 500
Light cav.: 500
Knights: 150

I have made nothing on their attack, defence, etc... Just the costs.

Thoughts?

I think it's way too detailed.

Personally, I would go with:

Knights (most upkeep)
Light Cavalry (second most upkeep)
Archers (lowest upkeep)
Light Infantry (lowest upkeep)
Heavy Infantry (third most, when combined with a light cav, costs same as a knight)

Drilled archers and infantry are really just higher level archers and infantry. Furthermore, I'm not sure there is enough difference to warrant archers costing more then light infantry. Both are just peasants, using equipment which they have at home, and eating the same food.

Anyway, 2 more CoA done. Midlands is only slightly changed from the request, I changed the field and turned the horseshoes round so that the luck doesn't pour out of them.

midland1.png

Midlands.

TheDale.png

Highwald, actually a early draft of the Dale arms, but I think it works.​

From what I can remember, Deag had envisioned the drilled infantry as an exclusive unit of the larger cities, beeing in between the professionals and the peasant levies. I added the archers for completity's sake.

May as well just have them as higher level infantry, if we are giving units levels.

I've been mulling that point actually. I've been trying to think of a way to do different levels of quality, and I think a good way will be to simply have each house get a bonus to their rolls for certain unit types or other bonuses.

So:
Carr: +100% for all units in their own territory, +1 light infantry rolls elsewhere (swamp warriors and poison weapons)
Vestaskland: armies get bonus when attacking from fleets, +1 for ships in (seafaring raiders)
Norwald: armies suffer no penalties from winter weather, +1 for archers (hunters and wildlings)
Summervale:? , +1 to knights (high chivalry)
Uppland: bonus to siege defense, +1 heavy infantry (guardians of the northern passes)
Middland: ?, +1 light cavalry
Dawnlands:?

As you can see there's still some gaps, but this leaves us with regional armies that are distinct.

I like drilled melee infantry as distinct from the other kinds, as they fight in a distinct fashion from your regular infantry types. I also like them being restricted to towns for rectruitment. I also think port towns should be able to support fleets mainenance free, like castles do with ground troops.

For armies, I'd rather have them in terms of units than with their actual number. Makes it easier to keep track of what your holdings can support and manage armies.

No penalties for winter weather is a bit much IMO.

I'll leave the military stuff to you though, not too good with medieval warfare.