+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Grananda get unique missions to conquer spain and italy?

Why doesn't Grananda get unique missions to conquer spain and italy?

Why do the Byzantines get all the historically inaccurate fun?

Why isn't there a gigantic amount of potential gameplay about the Muslims reconquering these areas? Seems unfair, s'all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Slym View Post

Why isn't there a gigantic amount of potential gameplay about the Muslims reconquering these areas? Seems unfair, s'all I'm saying.
    Because Grenada isn't supposed to survive the first few years so I assume it was figured it was a waste of effort to give them anything special.

Ship Simulator Extremes

Because something like 0.1% of players will ever get a successful Granada, and pandering for them is not as worktime effective as making missions for the far greater number of people who will play Spain/Byzantium/England/France/Austria/other unique-mission countries and not die instantly.

But it's concerns like this that leads to a thriving modding scene so feel free to write up some missions for them and share 'em.

There should be a decision to form the Grenadine empire, including a mission tree ordering you to colonize sugar provinces.
    I resent any "science" which tells me I can't have my cake and eat it. I am however a huge fan of quantum physics.

"So while Libya should have done much better, i think they did quite well with Gaddafi." - Klausewitz

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jos de trol View Post
    There should be a decision to form the Grenadine empire, including a mission tree ordering you to colonize sugar provinces.
    Muslims dont generally colonise anything..
    Jesus...hmm.. Lover of my soul :-)

Restoration-of-Charlemagne-(MMU)-from-Bergyndy ARR

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by chals View Post
    Muslims dont generally colonise anything..
    False. I have seen the Mamluks colonize through the Golden Horde before
    Player Kills-3

Experience is the teacher of all things. - Julius Caesar
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a man with a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto.

Grenadier empire! FTW!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2Jonathan View Post
    Because Grenada isn't supposed to survive the first few years so I assume it was figured it was a waste of effort to give them anything special.
    Actually it outlived the Byzantines, so Slym does have a point.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ind2bc View Post
    False. I have seen the Mamluks colonize through the Golden Horde before
    IRL... The game might be a sandbox, but there is Frames on how unreal things get.. That peaple like very unthinkelbol things is okay, but then, do your own mooding.
    Jesus...hmm.. Lover of my soul :-)

Restoration-of-Charlemagne-(MMU)-from-Bergyndy ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Jos de trol View Post

I seriously lol'd at this.

EU3 CompleteDivine Wind500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Jonathan View Post
    But historically Granada survived till 1492, while the Byzantines (read: Roman empire) until 1453....
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" ~Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

"We do not surrender, we win or die" ~Omar Al-Mukhtār

Doesn't change the fact that by the current mechanics Byzantium is more likely to survive long enough to take advantage of these missions.

The "Byzantines" seem to be very popular among the gaming community here, so much so that there have been accusations of the developers pandering to these people by over focusing on them too much, giving them cores on things they lost centuries ago and giving them a bonus to culture spreading.
    I'm not sure about that but I would agree they seem to have a lot of focus for their size and there historical sell by date. I sense an argument coming in this thread.
    A mod that focuses on increasing missions for fringe or non-european countries would be a nice idea.

EU3 CompleteDivine Wind500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Restless Native View Post
    The "Byzantines" seem to be very popular among the gaming community here, so much so that there have been accusations of the developers pandering to these people by over focusing on them too much, giving them cores on things they lost centuries ago and giving them a bonus to culture spreading.
    I'm not sure about that but I would agree they seem to have a lot of focus for their size and there historical sell by date. I sense an argument coming in this thread.
    Can we include the Ottomans bad performance in EU3 in this theory?
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" ~Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

"We do not surrender, we win or die" ~Omar Al-Mukhtār

Quote Originally Posted by PiriReis View Post
    Can we include the Ottomans bad performance in EU3 in this theory?
    Why not. It will make it a better conspiracy.

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

A similar question may be raised in regards to the Mongol Khanate. Why don't they get any unique missions and/or decisions to restore the Yuan reign over China and perhaps also the rest of former Mongol Empire? And why are they made to always die right away when historically they survived until 1635?!
    Last edited by Me_; 24-04-2012 at 17:47.
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

Well, I don't much care for playing the Byzantines, but one cannot disregard that the nation represents the continuation of the Roman Empire and until its end at the hands of the Turks they asserted the importance of the Patriarchy and the historical claims on the region -- although one cannot say that they actively sought its reconquest to the degree the missions would suggest. Granada on the other hand was a Emirate that established itself without historical continuance and was more a product of the reconquista (as an tributary of Castille). As such, it would lack any basis or reason to model a reversal of the reconquista since the people of Granada or the Nasrid dynasty were never Moorish conquerors.

On a different note, I have toyed with the idea of letting Morocco perpetrate the reversal, since it was the place of origin and capital of the Almohad Caliphate. That would be a little more reasonable. On a related subject matter, I am a bit disappointing that the title of Khalifi has been reduced to a small decision and modifier. Still, not even the ottomans took it that serious in the time period.

There was document in television, where they researches genealogies of famous Reconquistas heroes as El Cid etc. And they found...
    all of them was Morrocean Muslims

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Slym View Post

Game is made by Europeans, to be more specific the "westerners".

1.) Most of the "westerners" (in this case the ones on the island and ones across the sea) are obsessed with Rome and Romans (for some reason). In EU3 which is a game focused on age after "the" Rome, the closest that you can get to "the" Rome are Byzies.

2.) Most people in general like people/countries/alter egos in general that are, in certain context, considered an "underdog". Nobody can have too much fun loading as France and uniting it, and than brag that they have achieved something. But everyone who manages to survive and thrive as Byzies (even to turn the tables around) can be proud of what they have done.

So out of combination of 1.) and 2.) an interest (or desire) to play as Byzies was born, hence when EU3 was under development, one of the devs sat down and wrote these missions.

Writing missions is not always as simple as it might seem. It doesnt require too much time to do on its own, but it does require lots of time to debug it (to make sure that it works).

3.) Byzies are Byzies and Granada is Granda. Nothing more has to be said. Its not fair, but it is what it is. One was given more attention, other was put there to get killed within 5 years of game start.
    Там тебе привольней, песня
    Ты туда и улетай!

I mean, Roman Empire and Emirate of Granada... it's like comparing France to Duchy of Parma...
    Byzantine.Hellenistic.Ottoman.Sogdian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast