• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Psycoamn27

Private
91 Badges
Jul 29, 2011
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • King Arthur II
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • East India Company Collection
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Empire of Sin
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
I obtained the Sword of the Stars complete collection for free back at PAX 2010 and have thoroughly enjoyed it since I figured out the game, and I'd like to know your opinions on how the second game compares. Is it easier to micro-manage, or is information easier to deal with? Say, if you want a list of all your ships and fleets is it easier to manage and view them? Things like that, I'd like to know how the game plays before I decide it's priority on my list of games to pursue.

Check back in around mid may, Game launched unfinished and is still being cleaned up but its running pretty awesome now. Right now devs are saying 1 to 2 patches (2 week cylces) to feature complete then polish.

Singular ships aren't able to be sent on trips alone anymore, the game has shifted to a much more fleet oriented approach. It makes for a bit more busy work at the beginning but way easier during late game.In prime I usually ended up with a hand full of large fleets I ferried around, In LoW I can pretty easily juggle 2 dozen full fleets.

Its a hard call on how easier info is to manage right now, as they the gui has been low on the devs list. A lot is place holder at the moment. The mission interface is pretty sweet though, select a location, it lists available mission types. select one and it give s listing of available fleets by system. It also give travel time, mission time and mission length info. Each fleet is based from a system so once its supplies are exhausted or a mission is completed/cancelled they return home for fresh troops and supplies. They will be able to be sent on subsequent mission without return and be rebased at the end of a mission as well., though that functionality isn't in yet.

I'd wait for the devs to call all clear before putting this on your buy list.

I wonder why they would release a strategy game before it's finished? It's not like minecraft, it's not good to play while very unfinished...

The shift towards fleet based actions sounds good, since I had problems with single ships attacking me early on in certain scenarios, but the loss of singular ship command is disappointing, since I'll no longer be able to quickly scout out territory at minimal cost.

I'll keep the in dev part in mind, I don't want to attempt to learn a game while simultaneously dealing with something unfinished.

You can have a single ship fleet, with just a CNC ship. However this will survey rather slowly. Drone ships can boost the survey speeds fairly cheaply, as can battle riders. If you keep the carriers out of trouble, riders are dirt cheap.

I obtained the Sword of the Stars complete collection for free back at PAX 2010 and have thoroughly enjoyed it since I figured out the game, and I'd like to know your opinions on how the second game compares. Is it easier to micro-manage, or is information easier to deal with? Say, if you want a list of all your ships and fleets is it easier to manage and view them?

Hell No. There is long delay between every screen, fleet list is horrible, station manager is a mess (but much less horrible than fleet's), "OK" button is on same place with "Menu" and game sometimes won't recognize your clicks on your systems.

Things like that, I'd like to know how the game plays before I decide it's priority on my list of games to pursue.

It plays quite nice, CTDs (im my case) aren't very frequent, battles are quite beautiful. Especially interceptor missiles that are working like flak cannons, ie. they shoot in general direction of enemy, explode and destroy everything around.

Then you get 20+ systems and 5-10 attacks per turn and you have to watch every single one of them either on manual or automatic. After couple of turns, you want catch one of those missiles and stab it into your eye, so it could explode and end your suffering.

Yeah, definetley don't want to deal with a delay between screens, or management issues. I'll wait until the UI is cleaned up, but other than that the game doesn't sound like a disaster of a sequel.

The game is alright, I would personally prefer to fight against real players, as the AI seems to be severally bias. Though a bit of twinking does need to be done with the interface and control systems, gameplay is rather fun, but currently they seriously need to focus on 2 things at the moment:
1) Why the game slows down to almost a crawl in combat with sound On.
2) After turn 100 each turn seems to radically increase in speed to go to the next cycle.

Seems the engine needs a bit of work too, probably inefficient code causing all the loading problems.

You think if someone submitted a patch then Paradox would adopt it?

Maybe the game is trying to manage itself within a certain memory limit, it might be possible to increase said limit so less data is leaked at the cost of more RAM usage?

There is a known sound engine issue they are working on, and a gfx related leak. They greatly improved performance from in the last update; went from needing to relaunch the game after 2-4 combats to every 6-12.

There is a known sound engine issue they are working on, and a gfx related leak. They greatly improved performance from in the last update; went from needing to relaunch the game after 2-4 combats to every 6-12.

Which inherently sucks unless your playing a Real-Life Human opponent who likes to play on the defensive, as a AI seems to want to attack you 10 times in 5 turns.

Which inherently sucks unless your playing a Real-Life Human opponent who likes to play on the defensive, as a AI seems to want to attack you 10 times in 5 turns.

Maybe they forgot to set the AI to "ZergRush = Flase"?