• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Cabl3 Guy

The Naked General
7 Badges
Dec 17, 2002
www.lulu.com
  • Ancient Space
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
Anyone give a shot at a few weird builds?

Like Heavy armor, medium, light and maybe engineers?
or Marines, Mountain and Para?

yeah, i did once, a full American Corps of H Arm x1 L Arm x1 Para x1, and Gar x1. The Corps did not only defeat the Mexicans in 1944 (they were in the Axis somehow), but went all the way down to Panama and was poised to take South America. Sadly, however, Nearly all of those countries were in the Allies. 5 strange divisions took down all of "Central America"

yeah, i did once, a full American Corps of H Arm x1 L Arm x1 Para x1, and Gar x1. The Corps did not only defeat the Mexicans in 1944 (they were in the Axis somehow), but went all the way down to Panama and was poised to take South America. Sadly, however, Nearly all of those countries were in the Allies. 5 strange divisions took down all of "Central America"

That's a long walk for a Garrison. They only move at speed-1.

The Cabl3 Guy said:

Check out my MECH thread.

Speaking of "weird brigade formations"...

... when I first began advocating INFx2/ARTx2 binary Divisions, shortly after the original beta, everyone treated me like I needed a doctor.

Nowadays, it seems to be accepted as one of the main standards.

... I'm a rebel without a cause... :(

Last edited:
everyone treated me like I needed a doctor.

Well...you DO need a doctor. It's not unusual for a mental case to have a brilliant insight now and again, but they should still be under the care of a skilled psychiatrist. :p

Last edited:

... when I first began advocating INFx2/ARTx2 binary Divisions, shortly after the original beta, everyone treated me like I needed a doctor.

I never thought that. I reviewed the game before release and realized the sheer power of that build way back then. I do remember those threads, though.

mixing para's and heavy/SH armor create a really good defence unit because of the high defensivenes/toughness. meaning a couple on a port hold for ages

Nowadays it's the 1x INF 3x ART that's crazy.

Like Heavy armor, medium, light and maybe engineers?
or Marines, Mountain and Para?

"Strangest" unit I've ever used was 1xMIL 4xAA...

I put 15 of them in a single provice that was having trouble with STR bombing. It stopped having trouble shortly thereafter, and I was able to split the AA's to some of my Russian-front INF divisions ;p

Nowadays it's the 1x INF 3x ART that's crazy.

I remember those threads as well. Now it seems to everyone that 3 inF 1 Art is inefficiently. I thought the 3 Art 1 inf wasn't strong enough to give the art time to work its majesty.

Get Superior Firepower and get 2x INF 3x ART divisions. Or shit, maybe 1x INF 4x ART.

Oh my! Safest thing for the pilots must be landing in the adjacent province and simply carry the bombs to the target. As long as they're not above ground level they should be fine.

Worst unit I ever put together was a combination of the Danish cavalry regiment they start with and a German armored regiment I got through production licenses. Would probably also have sucked less if it had been used less for the mountains and hills of Norway and Sweden.

I put 15 of them in a single provice that was having trouble with STR bombing. It stopped having trouble shortly thereafter, and I was able to split the AA's to some of my Russian-front INF divisions ;p

That is an interesting build.
I tend to under use AA units as I always thought they have very little ground combat use.
Also the LS could be better fit else where like Fighters.
Do they have any ground combat use at all though?

That is an interesting build.
I tend to under use AA units as I always thought they have very little ground combat use.
Also the LS could be better fit else where like Fighters.
Do they have any ground combat use at all though?

They add some HA to the division. Not quite as awesome as the legends surrounding the 88, but it does have a ground combat effect against armored vehicles.

Because AA is cheaper in terms of IC than aircraft, any country that anticipates fighting an enemy with lots of planes, but who won't contest the skies (France, any of the Chinese states), gets some real mileage by putting AA in all INF or MIL divisions. It reduces damage from air attacks and hurts enemy planes. It won't win the war, but it will make fending off the Luftwaffe easier when they run ground attack.

I've never overstacked AA in a single division before. I might try that sometime.

I've never overstacked AA in a single division before. I might try that sometime.

Way more useful against the AI than a human, because you can all but be sure where the AI will bomb, and deploy accordingly.

Once the AI picks a strategic-bombing target, it doesn't leave until it obliterates it... or gets obliterated, more likely.

And you can "guide" enemy TAC bombers to wherever you want by simply initiating a single land combat... AI will dispatch it's TACs immediately, and then find itself without TACs shortly thereafter.

Against a human I'd use my HQ divisions for this instead (as I used to do before I realized I could do ^^^ that ;p). Less concentration, but at least I'd have 3 AA brigades nearby to jsut about ANY area.