+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Weird Brigade formations?

Hearts of Iron III

[QUOTE=blue emu;13738448]That's a long walk for a Garrison. They only move at speed-1.

Took the units longer to travel to the borders of the countries than the wars themselves. Took over a year to get the units to the canal and by that time the Germans were only controlling a few provinces and the Japanese were down to their Home Islands.
    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."-Winston Churchill

"Old Abe Lincoln
    with his paper and pen
    will be famous someday
    but only God knows when."
    -Abraham Lincoln at 12 years old

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself"-Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The new world rising from the shambles of the Old
    Quote Originally Posted by Pj Fallon View Post
    Sorry what is the small nations guide?

Small Country Guide

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireIron CrossVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    StarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=ScaryT;13744419]
    Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    That's a long walk for a Garrison. They only move at speed-1.

Took the units longer to travel to the borders of the countries than the wars themselves. Took over a year to get the units to the canal and by that time the Germans were only controlling a few provinces and the Japanese were down to their Home Islands.
    you didn't use strat redeploy? that was slightly silly
    In the future there will only be two workers, a human and a dog. The human's job will be feeding the dog. The dog's job will be making sure the human doesn't touch the computers.

Hearts of Iron III

it still would've taken ages for them to get to the countries' borders.
    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."-Winston Churchill

"Old Abe Lincoln
    with his paper and pen
    will be famous someday
    but only God knows when."
    -Abraham Lincoln at 12 years old

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself"-Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Check Numbers Aren’t Everything AAR (in my signature) the third page. There are some unusual division like 2MNT+2MAR (for river crossing in mountains), 4ARM+ENG (fast medium armour with 35% softness), HARM+2SHARM (division with 6.7% softness), HARM+SHARM+ENG (mobile fort) and etc. Basically a whole invading army prepared for Barnarossa without a single regular infantry brigade.

Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by mnplastic View Post
    (for river crossing in mountains)
    This was the answer to Final Jeopardy, HOI3 edition, in 1941. The prompt was "This is the second worst terrain to attack into."

I do like your HARM/SHARM division. It cares less about SA than even my 4xHARM divisions do. "What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of us ignoring all the artillery those INF divisions brought with them."
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

Embarrassing admission: before I realized that SHARM acted as a support role, I built 4xSHARM as GER and then wondered why they kept retreating instantly...
    Of course, if they let me build the Maus I should be able to spectacularly waste my resources on a Landkreuzer...
    Though I freely admit I haven't made too many "weird brigades" anymore, I likely will as I acclimate more to the game. Dunno if anyone does this, but if I'm assembling an "Afrikakorps" I tend to make a few divisions of 1xLARM + 3xAC. Seems to perform admirably against the opposition you are likely to face in far off places, as long as a couple divisions of grunts of some flavor (INF, MAR, MTN, MOT) tag along for fun as well.

Hellgate to the Netherworld Portal's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Curlyton View Post
    Embarrassing admission: before I realized that SHARM acted as a support role, I built 4xSHARM as GER and then wondered why they kept retreating instantly...
    Of course, if they let me build the Maus I should be able to spectacularly waste my resources on a Landkreuzer...
    Though I freely admit I haven't made too many "weird brigades" anymore, I likely will as I acclimate more to the game. Dunno if anyone does this, but if I'm assembling an "Afrikakorps" I tend to make a few divisions of 1xLARM + 3xAC. Seems to perform admirably against the opposition you are likely to face in far off places, as long as a couple divisions of grunts of some flavor (INF, MAR, MTN, MOT) tag along for fun as well.
    One combat brigade? And AC is supposed to give Combined Arms to Hard units without losing speed, so, sounds a bit poor.
    HUSSIE HUSSIE HUSSIE, OI OI OI!

You've won this round, Darkgamma.

Quoth Saint-Exupéry:

"hey its me. S-E. That means I lie, or if you choose if I tell you my source I will lost it forever, and much more."

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryT View Post
    it still would've taken ages for them to get to the countries' borders.
    Nope

Strategic redeployment moves at speed 20kph regardless of division speed. It's only slowed down by infrastructure (which normal movement is too). In my experience SR is pretty much always fastest.

In most normal cases garrisions will arrive 20 times as fast using strategic redeployment

On the topic of strange divisions, Does 4x INF counts as "strange" now a day that everyone uses artillery? :P
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Master View Post
    This was the answer to Final Jeopardy, HOI3 edition, in 1941. The prompt was "This is the second worst terrain to attack into."

What's the worst? Trying to attack directly into the Atlantic?
    Naval Changes: You need em, I got em. --Rather outdated, but I'm leaving it up ;p--
    An improvement to supplies, with (I surmise) a minimal invasion of code and processor power. --sadly locked due to thread necromancy rules, but I'm happy to re-start this discussion if you are--
    And Lastly...
    Nationalist China, with that "Fresh New Wiki" smell!

Hellgate to the Netherworld Portal's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by themousemaster View Post
    What's the worst? Trying to attack directly into the Atlantic?
    My bet is Amphibious Assault onto a Mountain terrain. I think that gives greater penalties than River Crossing.

My most unusual setup was to run pure 4xPAR mainline backed by 4xHA divs as Soviets

Quote Originally Posted by Portal View Post
    One combat brigade? And AC is supposed to give Combined Arms to Hard units without losing speed, so, sounds a bit poor.
    I know, its weird but oddly effective when facing relatively smaller armies (ie. NOT the Soviets' main armies). I made them as a diversion with some spare IC so I could go gallivanting about the low-infra sections of Asia relatively easily. Its mostly lower-end infantry there so I wanted excess soft attack, and with the german ability to research scads of tech, they are very resilient in the org/morale department.

What is the most efficent configuration? Please do not use abbreviations, as I don't understand them

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by asl2000 View Post
    What is the most efficent configuration? Please do not use abbreviations, as I don't understand them
    Depends on what kind of efficiency

Efficient per Industry cost? Probably using Infantry only.
    Efficient per manpower invested? As much Artillery added to your infantry brigade as you can afford (or Tactical bombers if we are not limited to land units).
    Efficient in speed? Probably Light Armor
    Efficient in combat power per front? I would guess Armor + Self Propelled artillery.
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Portal View Post
    My bet is Amphibious Assault onto a Mountain terrain. I think that gives greater penalties than River Crossing.
    That was what I had in mind, too. I tried it the other day.

EDIT:

Alex covers various efficiencies well, but let me just add a few.

Efficient use of officers? Militia with some kind of artillery support

Efficient in terms of softness? We're talking pure heavy armor divisions or heavy armor brigades with super-heavy armor attached.

Efficient in terms of suppression? A single garrison brigade with 1-2 MP brigades attached.

Efficient in terms of width, regardless of stacking penalties? Militia with the width reducing doctrine researched

Are you France and not planning to build an airforce to contest the Luftwaffe? Attach an anti-aircraft artillery brigade to every single infantry division. Trust me. It works.

Are you fighting in really low infrastructure areas with bad terrain? Maybe it's time to build some Marine or mountain divisions, but cut the brigades down to 2 instead of 4. Then spread them out a bit to ease the supply draw.
    Last edited by Secret Master; 26-04-2012 at 20:10.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_brunius View Post
    Depends on what kind of efficiency

Efficient per Industry cost? Probably using Infantry only.
    Efficient per manpower invested? As much Artillery added to your infantry brigade as you can afford (or Tactical bombers if we are not limited to land units).
    Efficient in speed? Probably Light Armor
    Efficient in combat power per front? I would guess Armor + Self Propelled artillery.
    Forgive my ignorance, friend. Is artillery really that effective? As I rarely use it, instead focusing on infantry and light and medium armour units.

Quote Originally Posted by asl2000 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, friend. Is artillery really that effective? As I rarely use it, instead focusing on infantry and light and medium armour units.
    If you aren't using Artillery, you haven't been living.

Artillery gives substantial benefits to infantry and militia divisions. In fact, they are so powerful that some people have modified game mechanics to reduce their power.

What are those benefits?

1) Lots of firepower: Using 1940 techs, artillery has a SA rating of 6 versus an SA of 4.4 for infantry. That doesn't sound like much, but since battle results and damage are calculated hourly, that's a 22% increase in firepower against soft units.

2) Reduced width: All that extra firepower that artillery concentrates into a single brigade also has zero width. A division with 2xINF/2xARTY (that's 2 infantry brigades and 2 artillery brigades) has more firepower than a 4xINF division, but also has half the width. I can put more divisions of the first kind into a single battle than I can of the second kind. That means that it further amplifies the firepower advantage it has by allowing greater concentration of force. Concentration of force = good.

3) Artillery brigades cost less manpower than infantry brigades. Anyone can benefit from the reduced manpower costs. Even the Soviets.

4) Artillery costs the same amount of officers per brigade that infantry does, but since it has more firepower, you get more firepower per officer spent with artillery than you do with infantry. That's a big deal for everyone. Yes, even Germany and its high leadership.

5) Artillery costs more IC-days than infantry, but it has more firepower per IC-day, so it's more cost effective in terms of SA than infantry is.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Master View Post
    If you aren't using Artillery, you haven't been living.

Artillery gives substantial benefits to infantry and militia divisions. In fact, they are so powerful that some people have modified game mechanics to reduce their power.

What are those benefits?

1) Lots of firepower: Using 1940 techs, artillery has a SA rating of 6 versus an SA of 4.4 for infantry. That doesn't sound like much, but since battle results and damage are calculated hourly, that's a 22% increase in firepower against soft units.

2) Reduced width: All that extra firepower that artillery concentrates into a single brigade also has zero width. A division with 2xINF/2xARTY (that's 2 infantry brigades and 2 artillery brigades) has more firepower than a 4xINF division, but also has half the width. I can put more divisions of the first kind into a single battle than I can of the second kind. That means that it further amplifies the firepower advantage it has by allowing greater concentration of force. Concentration of force = good.

3) Artillery brigades cost less manpower than infantry brigades. Anyone can benefit from the reduced manpower costs. Even the Soviets.

4) Artillery costs the same amount of officers per brigade that infantry does, but since it has more firepower, you get more firepower per officer spent with artillery than you do with infantry. That's a big deal for everyone. Yes, even Germany and its high leadership.

5) Artillery costs more IC-days than infantry, but it has more firepower per IC-day, so it's more cost effective in terms of SA than infantry is.
    Thank you for the well explained answer. Conquering Europe may not be quite as difficult now

You're welcome.

Artillery does have some disadvantages, but they are pretty simple. They draw more supply than INF. You also have to research more techs to keep them up to date. But since self-propelled artillery uses the same gun techs and doctrines that regular artillery does, this isn't a big deal.

They also attack into certain kinds of terrain poorly, but since they have more firepower, it's usually a wash. Just do not ever attach artillery to Marine divisions when they are doing amphibious attacks because the Marines dilute their special bonuses by dragging along the artillery with them.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2