+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: War of the Kiku

War of the Kiku

Is it just me, or is this game perfect to be altered into either the japanese civil war of 1500-1600 or the Boshnin war in 1868 ?
    I mean it has cav, heavy armor, polearms, swords and Matchlocks, basicly what was used in the Sengoku period of japan. Or it could be made into something like Mount and blade Napoleon vs samurai if you went into the Boshnin war

Thoughts?

I think it would be coolios

I think I would prefer to see it released as War of the Roses first heheh!

Sure, why not. But personally I prefer medieval Europe.

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Feudal japan and also the romance of three kingdoms would be pretty awesome as future settings after WotR. I guess dynasty warriors have the drop on us by like 15 years on the three kingdoms era, but that doesn't mean we can't outshine them with awesome mouse control melee if WotR is a success

Where and if we go next all depends on you guys -the fans- though

I mean sticking with the War of the Roses and European stuffs you have the whole Habsburg Vs Valois wars, and ottomans against the Habsburgs ... I know they are a bit later but still similar fighting styles and such and still within the realm of medieval Europe, thing is there are no games I know of covering this and it is a rather interesting period of time ... I'd probably say more interesting than Japan.

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Don't get me wrong, there's tons of stuff in medieval Europe that would also be really cool to do. There's the reconquista, late medieval italy with the struggles between warring city states; the pope and the emperor, the fourth crusade etc Heck, I'd even want to give a go at a more mythically inspired norse setting.

What would make japan and china interesting though are the contrasts to WotR and M&B. I'd be very curious to see how the same kind of mechanics would do in such a setting instead of the rather "done" full body animated, sword swing trailing, slowmotion when you hit schtick we're used to in those settings

But like I said, what comes next really is up to what people yearn for the most.

edit: and also, I should probably focus on getting this game out the door before speculating on any sequels/expansions ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Robin. View Post
    Don't get me wrong, there's tons of stuff in medieval Europe that would also be really cool to do. There's the reconquista, late medieval italy with the struggles between warring city states; the pope and the emperor, the fourth crusade etc Heck, I'd even want to give a go at a more mythically inspired norse setting.

What would make japan and china interesting though are the contrasts to WotR and M&B. I'd be very curious to see how the same kind of mechanics would do in such a setting instead of the rather "done" full body animated, sword swing trailing, slowmotion when you hit schtick we're used to in those settings

But like I said, what comes next really is up to what people yearn for the most.

edit: and also, I should probably focus on getting this game out the door before speculating on any sequels/expansions ;D
    I think its mainly because I'm getting a bit bored of the china/japenese fascination in gaming, I mean Shogun2 has just released its new game and then Sengoku was released before that by paradox. Don't get me wrong either that a japenese melee game would be interesting but the area seems to be in a lot of hype for some reason. I'm glad your doing a war of the roses game as it hasn't seemed to of been touched on before

I agree I think there is to much of a fascination with psudo japanese stuff not just in games but in movies and such aswell. I am a vivid Shogun total war player, but only because of the engine being so good.
    Most games that deal with Japan seems to be based of japanese media rather than actual events. Shogun total war for example doesn't seem to encourage actually playing the game in the way that it unfolded in real life, like gaining vassels.

But that's besides the point, I really think it would be interesting to play a Boshnin war game with the War of the Roses mechanics. Despite the side fighter, arcade or strategy games' which have been made in Asian culture, i don't think there has ever been made a semi-realistic sensical game about it. Futhermore in this age of Japan loving gaming it probably would not be a bad marketing choice either ^^

The 30 year war, or the Euro-Osman wars just seems so close to war of the roses though, or Fire and Sword. That I don't think it would offer a whole lot to the mechanics, however interesting they historically may be though.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteGettysburgKing Arthur IILead and Gold
    MagickaSword of the Stars IIMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

Blog Entries
    I actually looked into Japan out of curiosity since it's my job to think long term and decided it's not a good sequel option to WotR for several key reasons. The first, and most important is the style of swordplay and that mechanic; Samurai fought very differently, had no shields, and most encounters ended with one strike do to the sharpness of the blades with each warrior calling out their attack before executing it. Staging of the battles were very stale and about attrition more than skill with massive use of archery and ranged attacks. And the youth in me wanted so badly to have Ninja's some-how. With all those things done well and as accurately as possible would mean a vastly different game than WotR if done right. So, as a sequel it would never happen. It'd be like The Legend of Zelda II was to The Legend of Zelda, and none of us would want that. In short, if there is a sequel and I'm involved it will be in a setting that doesn't need major changes to the core experience of the current game we're making.
    War of the Roses Executive Producer
    Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    I have horses, and i cant see whats wrong with the speed? Maybe more bumps for the rider, and more horse farts, but nothing is glaringly wrong here

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Quote Originally Posted by GordonVanDyke View Post
    I actually looked into Japan out of curiosity since it's my job to think long term and decided it's not a good sequel option to WotR for several key reasons. The first, and most important is the style of swordplay and that mechanic; Samurai fought very differently, had no shields, and most encounters ended with one strike do to the sharpness of the blades with each warrior calling out their attack before executing it. Staging of the battles were very stale and about attrition more than skill with massive use of archery and ranged attacks. And the youth in me wanted so badly to have Ninja's some-how. With all those things done well and as accurately as possible would mean a vastly different game than WotR if done right. So, as a sequel it would never happen. It'd be like The Legend of Zelda II was to The Legend of Zelda, and none of us would want that. In short, if there is a sequel and I'm involved it will be in a setting that doesn't need major changes to the core experience of the current game we're making.
    I agree, it would definitely be a very different game, so I understand why you wouldn't call it a sequel

Link was genius... but.. they... uhm.. well.. In retrospect I guess I wouldn't have wanted "A link to the past" to be a sidescroller

I think bushido blade 1 + 2 can stand in for a less arcady melee game set in japan. I do love me some dynasty warriors once every 6 or 7 years though. Pet peeve of mine is that they never really evolve those games. If you think about it in a way they are early DOTA style games.

But yeah, in general I feel like japanese games are plentiful, the setting has really been done a ton from the beat em up angle. For european medieval, I think it is pretty sparse. Granted you get lots of fantasy European medieval, but hardly any historic themed.

I think rome would be a good setting, even though I guess I contradict myself because rome is over done. It just seems like it would fit the mechanics better.

Really though I just have one word for the answer....

ZUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I have a game idea, but it would differ some. Combat and the feel perhaps little of the same. But what I've been thinking on is a 3rd person/rts game, which wouldnt fit. Though its still involves England and France seperate campaigns and a third.

The name of my game would be, The Legendary Robber Knights or The Legend of the Robber Knights. Long story, been looking into parts of it. But I will have to save it for the future as what im thinking of is quite the advanced. But the idea is written down, if you might get interested

The way I imagine it being set in 1868 feels a lot like how war of the roses look to me =) But perhaps testing it out as a mod could work :P

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Well if they decide to be amazing people and allow mod support *hint* then I'm sure there will be some amazing community mods that would bring us these Far Eastern gameplay elements and more.
    Last edited by Baynard; 24-04-2012 at 19:23.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Uhm Vikings noone?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteGettysburgKing Arthur IILead and Gold
    MagickaSword of the Stars IIMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndition View Post
    Uhm Vikings noone?
    They didn't wear horned helmets, it's all a myth started by the stupid Victorians and their weird obsession with romanticizing the past.

I know you weren't implying that, just had to get it off my chest.
    War of the Roses Executive Producer
    Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    I have horses, and i cant see whats wrong with the speed? Maybe more bumps for the rider, and more horse farts, but nothing is glaringly wrong here

And the goddamned winged helmets. Your nation been defeated by some barbarians in history? HELLENISE THEM! All the shame is gone!

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    I never knew the horned helmets were a myth - after further research, the Nordic people wore horns on their helmets for religious ceremonies only.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Quote Originally Posted by tubbles View Post
    And the goddamned winged helmets. Your nation been defeated by some barbarians in history? HELLENISE THEM! All the shame is gone!
    I read somewhere that some teutonic knights actually wore great helms with wings on them Probably for parades and stuff, but anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Kator Viridian View Post
    I think its mainly because I'm getting a bit bored of the china/japenese fascination in gaming, I mean Shogun2 has just released its new game and then Sengoku was released before that by paradox. Don't get me wrong either that a japenese melee game would be interesting but the area seems to be in a lot of hype for some reason. I'm glad your doing a war of the roses game as it hasn't seemed to of been touched on before
    What does a game set in Japan have to do with China? Do note that just because they are both in Asia doesn't mean that the cultures or fighting styles are similiar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast