What's the new cb_type that lets kings declare war on independent dukes to claim land

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sleight of Hand

retired modder
On Probation
14 Badges
Feb 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
No room for the question mark in the title. :p

Anyway I keep seeing (for example) France going to war with Brittany (independent) because it's a de jure duchy of the kingdom of France and taking away a province at a time. It doesn't take long for Brittany to disappear, and as this rule applies globally it tends to give awkward results.

Does anyone know how I can change this? I don't mind the king of France going to war with the duke of Brittany if he has a legitimate claim on a Breton county (or even the duchy itself through marriage) -- or perhaps if the duke of Brittany has been excommunicated and so on; I just don't think he should have carte blanche to wipe out Brittany because it's de jure part of France. This never happened historically and the French kings became dukes of Brittany through marriage.

I looked in cb_types.txt and noticed 'dejure_barony_claim' and 'dejure_county_claim' but I think they were both in 1.04 and just mean that people can claim baronies and counties. I assumed there'd be something like 'dejure_duchy_claim' but can't see it.

Can anyone help me with this?

(And I know the kingdom of Brittany is not de jure part of France but I don't want that and so I've changed it)

I'm confused. This doesn't happen by design as Brittany is not de jure part of France. You've changed Brittany to become de jure part of France and are now surprised and its unhistorical that France tries to use a de jure claim on Brittany? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes historically Brittany didn't simply get absorbed by France, but that's why its not listed as de jure French territory. By changing the parameters, you've changed the outcome.

Anyway its not a new CB its the same old CB as Ducal claims. In 1.04 a Duke could press de jure ducal claims but a King could not, now it is simply de jure claims and either the King or a Duke can press it.

You made Brittany de jure part of France, and you don't want France actually taking advantage of those de jure claims?

You can't have it both ways.

Yeah but my point is that I already had Brittany as a de jure part of France in 1.04 and I'm pretty sure that French kings couldn't invade it for that reason alone.

Yeah but my point is that I already had Brittany as a de jure part of France in 1.04 and I'm pretty sure that French kings couldn't invade it for that reason alone.

That's because in 1.04, kings didn't get the de jure CB, only dukes did.