• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Who do YOU start as?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I play all 3 but recently ive been playing Counts alot more. No real reason why , the game tends to end the same.

I guess if i had to say which i thought was best , that would depend on your parent goals.

IF you want world conquest : just start as a King or Emperor even. This will happen eventually regardless.
If you want to experience and enjoy the relations side , and a more role playing side of the game , NON-Independent Dukes and Counts are pretty fun.
If you want to learn the game , independent duke or count of Ireland ofc!

Overall ive found as a king i usually just end up waging war with arabs and eventually winning the map so to speak. As a count or duke , EVENTUALLY this happens as well , but there's many years of interesting game play before it does.

Last edited:
So far I've only played a few games and always started as the same character - a Duke of Ireland trying to become King and then expand.

I guess it depends what you want to do. I normally always play as England in games, but tend to avoid starting with England with Paradox games as its normally more complicated. I find Ireland in CK2 a good place to "sandbox" in to get used to it.

Starting already as the big dog (King/Emperor) doesn't provide the same immediate challenge to become the King so I'd rarely do that I suspect, unless looking to go for World Conquest. Might try King of Scotland next time though before moving onto a count/duke of England.

Dukes are the best place to start IMHO. You have some vassals to manage, but not too many.

Ireland is probably the best place to start for someone totally new. You can concentrate on expanding and making that kingdom with little interference from outside.

The Duchy of Apulia isn't a bad starting place either, just make sure to take out the count in Palermo before he take out you!

Yea I like starting as a count because than I don't overrun the map that much sooner. I like taking my time.

Dukes are the best place to start IMHO. You have some vassals to manage, but not too many.

Ireland is probably the best place to start for someone totally new. You can concentrate on expanding and making that kingdom with little interference from outside.

The Duchy of Apulia isn't a bad starting place either, just make sure to take out the count in Palermo before he take out you!

I have always gotten interference from the damn Scottish everytime I play as Irish.

I enjoy playing as the Duke of Flanders, because his children are in interesting places all over Europe. Off the top of my head, his son in law is William the Bastard/Conqueror, for example. This makes for fun roleplaying that I will eventually AAR.

I've played and started at all the levels. I've enjoyed them all, but Kingdoms become boring once you understand Vassal management and education of heirs. Because noone rebels. The Click-fest to end plots becomes tedious. Will probably play counts and Dukes more in future if Lower CA plots actually work.

Yes all good starting points.Ive always started as a king because i was told it's easier that way.Think im going to start as the count of ireland(Maybe).It sounds good fun ;-).I always usually play as a king,Castille,Scotland that kinda thing :)

I think your question should differentiate between independent and vassal counts/dukes!
I have tried independent count (in Ireland), now playing swedish count of Värmland.

Usually a king but sometimes a duke. I've only started as a count once (my first game), the earl of Cornwall. He's a cool character and I had planned on having a fun game and trying to unite Cornwall and Brittany but eventually I realized he was a bastard and so it's always game over because you can't marry normally. :(

I usually start as a count, but small duchies/kingdoms are fun as well.

I see no reason to start out as a big kingdom, as while it can be fun to roleplay, i usually lose interest soon because there aren't that much of a challenge..

I like starting as a count, because it takes a bit of time to get going and move up, by which time you're already very committed to your line. But I agree that an independent count in Ireland is not at all the same as being a count under a duke under the HRE..

but eventually I realized he was a bastard and so it's always game over because you can't marry normally

A male bastard can marry another bastard normally. Unless the RNG gods are really evil, you should be able find a few candidates if your earl of cornwall survives long enough.

Generally I start as a Duke (Barcelona, Brandenburg, Flanders, Normandy, etc...), though I have dabbled in some of the smaller kingdoms (Denmark, Navarra). My end goal is never a world conquer though. I tend to play fairly logically, extending to achieve certain goals (pre-defined logical goals, instead of crazy gamey wars), and working to increase the power of my dynasty, even if this happens at the expense of my realm.

I prefer COUNTS and to keep from exploiting the game by getting unlimited claimants from "invite to court exploit" I just use Fabricate Claims to get all my territory. ;)

Other than a game with the King of Georgia(which suddenly went on to be a game with the Byzantine emperor), i had 2 count(Pécs and Desmond) and 3 duke(Toulouse, Holland and someone in Russia somewhere) games.
I enjoyed the duke ones the best so the next one will be a duke aswell probably.