• Duke

267 40.95%
  • King

84 12.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What do YOU start as? (Vote)

4/5 games I start as a count.

A count, specifically changing my heir to a wrong culture count, always seems to turn out that way.

I start as a count 80-90% of the time, never started king or emperor. In fact, I usually get bored rather quickly after I become a king or emperor and start a new game. All the fun to be had happens at the lower ranks.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I usually start as a Duke. Kingdoms are fun to play in Iberia and only fun Empire game is Latin Empire game

I enjoy playing as the underdog - find a dynasty with only one person, so no huge family I need to think about... I start from scratch... A count...
    I don't like to start out with too much, its rather overwhelming...

I tend to like to start fairly small, but not tiny. So, Dukes usually, or the small Iberian Kingdoms (Navarra and Aragon mostly). I find starting with a single county under my control (especially an underdeveloped one) just leaves me waiting a lot before anything happens.

My last 2 games were as count of Napoli and Count of Capua. As Count of Napoli I tried very hard to keep my Greek culture, I expanded through to the Byzantine Empire (I inherited the Duchy of Epirus) but I found myself to becoming Sicilian very fast, becoming King of Sicily and Africa because of expansive behavior. It was a very fun (but hard!) game.
    Currently in my Count of Capua game, about 110 years and 5 characters in. Am the Duke of Capua now, and have good holdings in Tunis and I even inherited stuff in Hungary (Vas and something left to it) and also conquered a Serbian county for the heck of it.
    This has been a very hard game so far, but now my demesne is too big (have 8 holdings, but can only hold 6)
    Oh and I'm a dwarf.. That isn't helping either, tried to marry a tall woman but my son is still a dwarf.
    When I started playing this character I had the "short reign" penalty. This gave quite the chuckle.

tl;dr starting as (independent) all the way!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

I like to role play and make matches so I prefer a King. I get a lot of enjoyment out of making a good match for my sons and daughters. I don't like to expand by military so being a King and having a large realm is ok, I won't be taking over anyone else anyway.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Count, nearly always. Starting as king kind of feels like cheating to me (though that's nonsense of course), being on top of things right from the start. Sometimes I pick a Duke, but I enjoy having "earned" everything I own by the end of the game.
    "I shiver all over when I see your lovely tan, and I can tell by your clear blue eyes you're a sailor man." - Turbonegro

Count, although sometimes a small two county Duke. I pick a Duke when I don't feel like going through the first decade waiting to forge a claim on my neighbor, which gets me back into the same place.

Crusader Kings II

Count, but i think it depend on your goals, or maybe size or your goal ambitions.
    EX: Trying to exterminate a religion, a Dynasty or whatever this big, may ask a bigger start.

Now starting smal and getting bigger always is more rewarding.
    Exodus 15:3
    The Lord is as a man of war, Almighty is his name.

The rest is marketing.

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Usually start as a Count or a small Duke.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I still can't decide who to be.Maybe a duke cos' i always start as a king :-)

Well I've only played one game so far, as King of Aragon. But I'm thinking about trying my hand at a duchy.

I almost always start out as a count, but my next game I might play a duke of Brittney and just try to spread my bloodline everywhere without growing my actual realm unless it is by inheritance.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of Nations500k club

Almost always Duke. Once in a blue moon try a count but never King. The problem with being a count is that things move really slow at first. Maybe an Irish Earl may get the ball rolling faster but I have no interest in that part of the world. I have played (notable) as a Swedish duke, a Welsh duke, an Italian duke and my last game a ERE duke that end up as Despot of Georgia and Alania. The only part I dislike being a duke is most of the dukedom in the game practice gavelkind and that means all your hard work will be split down. I have a fantastic first game as duke of d'anjou but unless i have a kingdom, i can't move forward.
    When I give the poor food they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Dom Hector Camara
    Out of the crooked timber of humanity, No perfect human was ever made - Lord Hoffmann

Count or Duke, like most other people -- my favorite game I started as the Count of Braunschweig, who is a vassal of the Duke of Saxony. I got lucky with some forged claims early and grabbed Lubeck and Hamburg. I then followed that up with a DoW for independence, then immediately usurping the title of Duke of Holstein, which ends the war (of course, Saxony attacked me two months later; however, we had almost the same amount of provinces and I'd managed to save up just enough to beat up his main army with the Breton Band). I then used my de jure claims at the right time to take Holstein from Denmark, which kicked off some sneaky 50 years where I cautiously used various claims to take Jutland piece by piece (thankfully Denmark and Norway have almost constantly been at war in this game, allowing me to nibble away at the Dane's backside). Then I had a shocking moment where the BE successfully pressed claims on the HRE, creating a new Roman Empire. I had about four months to get used to fuschia being everywhere before basically every single vassal in the old HRE declared war (and a fair bit of the BE as well). There were so many revolts that there were almost no provinces to siege -- those that could be were crammed with armies of 9 to 10 realms, all suffering attrition in their attempts to drive out the Empire. I never saw a single BE doomstack before hitting 100% and becoming independent, along with most of the old HRE (Bavaria is still part of the BE and some bits of Italy as well). I'm not planning to be a Duke for much longer though, I'm hoping to add to the list of melancholy Danes.

64 games registered

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    LegioLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I usually start as a duke. I feel like it gives me more to do in the opening years than one can do as a count, while still providing challenges both within and without the realm you serve. I also sometimes start as a count, but almost never as a king unless my long-term goals are ones I don't typically have for my duke/count games.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 112047398814697, São Paulo, Brazil
    Begin with count is much more funny, but there are few independent counts at game and fighting an independence war at game begining to get a ducal title is not funny. so many times I play Duke.
    "That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach" (Aldous Huxley)

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Count, I find that I enjoy a humble beginning more fun with my strive towards making myself King.

Of course.. I have yet to rise above Duke.. with exception of one invasion game where i made myself Queen of Hungery.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so what.” - Stephen Fry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3