• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tanya | Tokryva

Captain
93 Badges
Apr 4, 2011
www.youtube.com
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane

71358-28506.gif

Noch einmal stürmt, noch einmal, liebe Freunde!
from Heinrich V. - William Shakespeare

Das Dritte Reich AARises

Greetings everyone, and welcome to the start of my second AAR! My first AAR is still under way, but it is a Victoria 2 one and has been on hiatus for a while now. You can find the link in my signature if you want to check it out, but I want this one to be nothing like it.
Everyone plays Germany, as it is one of the easiest nations to play; it is straight forward and focuses mainly on land forces. Yet, to play them efficient is still a challenge, one I am going to accept!
I am inspired by a couple of AARs by others to make this one myself also, and I would like to say I really loved Uriah's, Valentinian's & Misterbean's plays of Germany. They deserve some recognition towards teaching me to play better.

These are the settings with which I shall play this game;
Difficulty: Normal
Game Version: FTM 3.05
Starting date: 1936
And of course the victory conditions:
NOH7t.png

Attachments

• 71358-28506.gif
    71358-28506.gif
    51,2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Chapter 1 - Die Zukunft sieht rosig aus

January 1936. The Fatherland.
reicS.png

The guns have been silent for over 17 years now. The Great War. The Second Reich tried, in vain, to secure its place in Europe by gaining additional lands. Whatever the reasons may become in the history books, Großdeutschland eventually lost the war. Pressured into paying reparations by the peace treaty enforced upon it by France, Great Britain and The USA, Germany had yet to recover from the war. When the 1929 depression hit, Germany basically went bankrupt. The Reichsmark lost all of its value almost overnight, and a miracle was needed to rescue the nation. That miracle came in the shape of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei led by Adolf Hitler. He ascended to power in 1933, and in the past three years the Weimar Republic was restructured completely into the Third Reich. Germany was rising, and soon they would rejoin the ranks of the great powers of the world.

The cabinet at the start of 1936 saw some changes compared to 1935. Most of the cabinet retired, others were 'encouraged' to step down. The end result is shown below:
AO9mk.png

The Heer & the Wehrmacht have seen a restructuring, to be better able to defend the borders of the Reich. The Heer would be responsible of the Eastern border with Poland, having been divided into 2 Armees and 1 Panzerarmee. The Wehrmacht would be responsible for the Western borders with France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg & Denmark. Its forces have been divided into 2 Armees. The first task of the Wehrmacht is to recapture the Rheinland areas and build up our presence there. France must not be allowed free entry into the Reich if they would ever so please themselves to our lands.

The Abwehr has been reinstructed to stop sending spies to infiltrate nations around the world, and would instead be instructed to maximize efficiency by focusing on a smaller number of countries to go to. The first priority set is increasing the Abwehr's Counterespionage duties in the Fatherland. After this they were instructed to infiltrate Austria.

The Kriegsmarine, after inspection, was in dire need of more capable ships. This led to a huge order for the Kriegsmarinewerft in Wilhelmshaven. While the heavy cruiser Graf Spee was nearing completion, the foundations were laid for two Battlecruisers, the Scharnhorst and the Gneisenau, as well as the light cruiser Stuttgart and a Zerstörersgeschwader and a Unterseebootsflotille. Also, an order for two Transportflottille went to the Kriegsmarinewerft in Kolberg. This would aid in securing the East-Prussian borders with Poland and Lithuania.
qzTFg.png

For the Luftwaffe 3 Messerschmidt 109s and 3 Junkers 87 "Stuka" aircraft have been ordered. These planes will help keep our forces safe from attacks made against them.
eb2dG.png

Similarly, construction has started on Coastal Fortresses at Emden, Wilhelmshaven, Hamburg and Kiel. The Siegfriedlinie will also be extended throughout the entire Rheinland to secure our borders from the French even better. Another civilian project started are 30 pre-constructed factories that will be distributed across the Fatherland where the economy still has not recovered completely.

The Wehrmacht and the Heer were to be expanded with 35 Artillery brigades for all current Infantry Divisions, as well as 42 Light Infantry divisions with Anti-Air Support. Also, 12 Sicherungsdivisions were ordered to secure all the harbors on the Nordsee and Ostsee.
mDhaD.png

To utilize the strength of the extended Wehrmacht and Heer, research and development is focused on upgrading our infantry and armored divisions, as well as improved doctrinal improvements of the forces.
The Kriegsmarine requires a couple of modernized Battleships to be able to compete with the Royal Navy, let alone be able to defeat them. The production of Battlecruisers will help, but research towards improved Battleships is also conducted so that the best of the best can sail into the Nordsee from Wilhelmshaven before the end of the decade.
The Luftwaffe is far ahead in technology, and only sees development in areas that are relevant to this date. Similarly, improvement of our industrial capacity is also researched, both in expanding capacity as in increasing efficiency.
Enclosed the complete distribution of Germany's top minds:
bVKgT.png

Late in the evening of the 2nd of January, the French government established a new cabinet. These developments do not worry the Führer in the slightest, and he believes that this will only make the French less organised and less of a threat!
TULDR.png

The orders given to the Wehrmacht have been carried out with outstanding speed and efficiency, in the early morning of January 3rd, troops rolled into Baden-Baden and the reoccupation of the Rheinland had officially started in earnest. The German populace was overjoyed, and came out in great numbers despite the winter weather. Because of the assets rediscovered in the area, an influx of goods and money has allowed us to establish a Three-year Draft for the able bodied men of the Fatherland. Our factories are restructured to focus on the production of consumer goods. The effects of the 1929 depression are still felt everywhere, and the Führer has decreed upon the Reich that the people come first.
gJkv7.png

wS0gO.png

Throughout January, many trade deals are set up with nations all over the world. The Führer believes that our home production of resources will not be sufficient to sustain the Reich the coming years. Rumors are whispered in the halls of the Reichstag, some believing that Germany will start reuniting das Deutsches Volk in a new Großdeutschland. Others believe that Hitler wants to stockpile resources to avoid being run dry in case of a national emergency.

January 19th, 1936
The day was overcast but dry. The Polizei was visible on every street corner in Wilhelmshaven. Everywhere along the route, people were standing out. There to cheer on their fearless leader, their Führer, their savior in dark times, their messiah.

Adolf had come out to Wilhelmshaven for the official launch of the Kriegsmarineschiff Admiral Graf Spee. It was a joyous moment for das Dritte Reich, and he was certain to show up there, at the harbor, seeing the ship descend into the Nordsee and join it on deck for its short maiden voyage. Arriving at the Kriegsmarinewerft, an even bigger crowd was there to greet him. As he stepped out of his car, cheers came from everywhere and had him disoriented, albeit only for a second. He made his way, accompanied by Joseph Göbbels and several lesser staff that had joined the trip to Wilhelmshaven, towards the wooden platform built for this occasion, whereupon he was going to give his speech. He looked pensive.
"Was ist jetzt los Herr Führer? Sie scheinen nicht in einer guten Stimmung zu sein." Göbbels asked his leader.
"Nichts Joseph. Ich sehe die Zukunft. Es sieht rosig aus." Hitler replied as he stepped onto the platform
jrbhL.png

Last edited:
It's not often I follow a German AAR, but for Chimina I'll definitely be making an exception. Love the opening, subscribed!

I also like how you're spreading investment across three different branches, as opposed to ignoring the Kriegsmarine.

Last edited:

Chapter 2 - Im Westen nichts neues.
Nach dem Buch von Erich Maria Remarque.

AYq1wl.jpg

Troops marching towards the Rheinland border with France.

Adolf knew that there would not be a lot of commotion in Das Reich for the foreseeable future. The only event worth mentioning that would take place this year, and had a lot of Germans working on to prepare, were the 1936 Olympics to be held in Berlin in August. He was looking forward to it for sure, hoping that many Germans would win gold medals in as many events as possible. While his mind was wondering, his deputy and his chief of staff walked into Hitler's office for their planned meeting.

"Herr Führer, wir haben ein Update unserer Wirtschaft für Sie bereit zu übersehen."
"Vielen dank Herr Hess, Herr Bayerlein."

Rudolf Hess and Frits Bayerlein explained the current economic state into detail. Over the past month, Von Neurath had conducted many trades with nations around the world. The idea behind many of the trades was to take important resources from adversaries, so they could not use those for themselves, and simultaneously supply like-minded nations with low cost goods to keep them afloat.

Hfwpwl.png

The only thing that was currently lacking in German imports were supplies of unprocessed oil. Barrels were not cheap, and the currently limited cashflow that Das Reich did have was insufficient for huge buy-outs of the black gold. As soon as opportunities would rise though, massive amounts of oil were planned to be imported.

qYATnl.png

"Es sieht gut aus. Vielen Dank für die Einweisung, Herren. Sie sind entlassen."
"Jawohl Herr Führer."

Both men left Adolf's office, and he took his seat. If anyone else had been in the office, they could see a very satisfied grin upon his face.

February 1936. The Fatherland.
reicSl.png

Nothing worthwhile was happening in Germany. If there was any news that was of interest, it came from Constantine Von Neurath, the foreign minister to the Führer. The first news that trickled in was something about the Generalissimo Benito Mussolini. He was getting his country of Italy back on the road it seemed. The only reason it was brought up was that Hitler foresaw in the Generalissimo a role as Pawn in the future. Unbeknownst to Von Neurath, who had simply been given orders to relay news from other autocratic regimes around the globe.

5udKcl.png

Over the course of February, Von Neurath proved to be a sly negotiator, at least when it came down to trade deals. The United States of America, a nation to which the Führer had both awe and disgust, was willing to trade goods with Das Reich without limits. Several oil deals were made, which would be repaid by means of cash and army supplies. The Führer believed that the Americans were also still under the effects of the depression and did not have enough workers in the factories supplying the soldiers. Germans were prepared to do the work for them.

U6yp6.png

Halfway through the month, the head of the Abwehr Wilhelm Frick reported that the infiltration of Austria was at a level sufficient for any mission to be conducted without failure. The Führer being a native Austrian believed that his home country would do well under the same leadership as Germany. He ordered the Abwehr to start increasing the strength and popularity of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei in Austria. Because he was still training more spies, Frick decided that France would be the next target for the Abwehr to infiltrate.

2Nn9ql.png

Towards the end of the month, Von Neurath reported to the Führer that the nearby nation of Hungary would do well on our side of the political spectrum and he suggested that Germany started influencing them, so that in the future they would perhaps be willing to join an alliance against the Comintern. As the Führer hated the Communist regime in Russia, he was very willing to oblige.

QO2Cul.png

In March, Von Neurath once again came into the Führer's office, and again he had news concerning the Italians. This time, they had won a war against Ethiopia, and installed a puppet regime that would follow and backup Mussolini in every move he made. The Führer seemed indifferent towards the news though, not understanding what the Italian wanted with that land in the first place.

NgruC.png

Later in the same month, the Kriegsmarine laid down 2 more ships; a destroyer Z1-class ship and a Type IIB-class Uboot. They were both attached to existing task forces in Kiel and Emden respectively.

ryLKH.png

The Führer was in a great mood. Both the United Kingdom and the United States had once again signed a trade deal to import German manufactured supplies. He was very happy with Von Neurath in the Foreign department. His shrewdness would give Germany the possibility of increasing its oil imports by a hefty amount.

z2hyT.png

Early in April, the ministry of Foreign Affairs received news of a Nationalist uprising in Spain, under the guidance of a man named Franco. Von Neurath took the news to the Führer. Within hours, several ships were loaded with advanced German weaponry, including several prototype Panzerkampfwagens and Junkers 87 "Stuka" planes. As the Führer believed, Franco could use the support of a man like himself, and in return he would perhaps be open for an alliance in the future, the same as Hungary might be. On top of this all, this Spanish Civil War would supply a great opportunity for a field test of the new German equipment. Real combat experience would lead to much improved tanks and aircraft.

UaeZy.jpg

On the 20th of April, the first breakthroughs in improved artillery weapons was made. For our anti-tank units, better barrels and a better sight system had been developed, and for our anti-aircraft brigades improvements had been made to the barrels and the ammunition they would use. Research in both these fields would continue, albeit focused on different armament upgrades.

oKtKX.png

Around the same time as these improvements were being tested, the first AA Light Infantry support divisions were deployed to the Polish border. The 46. Infanteriedivision was transported to Landsberg, and the 50. Infanteriedivision was transported to Schwiebus. Both divisions were attached to the XIII. Armeekorps under the command of General Adam. With the training of these units, the border with western Poland was finally completely covered by German soldiers. Over the course of the following months, several more divisions would be deployed along the Polish border, both in Germany proper and in East Prussia. The top of the NSDAP leadership were by now all informed with the Führer's plans; he wished to create Lebensraum for the German people, by first uniting the German nations in the new Großdeutschland, and then expanding it. For this, he needed an army. In the east was were all was to be gained.

6zBz1.jpg

A photograph made of new equipment deployed in Schwiebus, on the Polish border.

More brigades were deployed along the border with Poland; 7,000 troops were trained as artillery support and attached to several Infanteriedivisions. The 44. Infanteriedivision had finished its training and was attached to XIII. Armeekorps as well, and transported to Landsberg to join with the 46. Soon even more troops followed, including the 45. Infanteriedivision which was also added to XIII. Armeekorps, which would now be at full strength, once the nation was mobilized of course.

ylC3p.png

2XLe1.png

Further R&D conducted provided better weaponry for infantry divisions as well as better guns for Lichte Panzerkampfwagens.

qSYEZ.png

In May, even more research finishes.

In June, the Führer, on an inspection tour, passes through Breslau to see the newest weapon of the Luftwaffe being deployed; the first of many Junkers Ju 87 Sturzkampfflugzeug. This was the first to be fully incorporated into the Luftwaffe, after successful field testing had been conducted in the Spanish Civil War. During a demonstration test, its most fearful feature was very noticeable; the attached Jericho-Trompete wailed extremely loud while the craft thundered in its almost vertical dive from the sky. The Führer was very pleased with this exercise. These Stuka's would come in very handy in the future.

UEbi8.png

On the 25th of June, construction of Coastal Fortresses is completed in Emden, Wilhelmshaven, Hamburg and Kiel, as well as the lengthening of the Siegfriedlinien in the Rheinland.

qTmIG.png

GouoJ.png

I slip warily over the edge, and snake forwards. I creep along on all fours; things are going well, I fix the direction, look about me and take note of the pattern of artillery fire so that I can find my way back. Then I try to make contact with the others.
I am still afraid, but now it is a rational fear, which is just an extraordinarily enhance cautiousness. It is a windy night, and the shadows move back and forth in the sudden flashes from the gunfire. By this light you can see too much and too little. Often I freeze suddenly, but there is never anything there. In this way I get quite a long distance forward, and then turn back in a curve. I haven't made contact. Every few feet closer to our trench makes me more confident, but I still move as fast as I can. It wouldn't be too good to stop one just at this moment.
And then I get another shock. I'm no longer able to make out the exact direction. Silently I crouch in a shell hole and try to get my bearings. It has happened more than once that a man has jumped cheerfully into a trench, and only then found out that it was the wrong side.
Excerpt from Im Westen nichts neues, English translation.

Interesting...subscribed!

Doesn't the production of that much supplies mean that you have a lot less IC to spend on building new units?

Doesn't the production of that much supplies mean that you have a lot less IC to spend on building new units?
IMO, the commitment to building supply and trading it now will pay out when there are more efficient laws available (i.e. war) to build more units faster. Also, without it I couldn't be stockpiling :)

Good choices on the naval front. BC's make a lot of sense for germany since they are faster and can raid convoys better than BB's

I like the little excerpts at the bottom, they add a nice sense of flavour and character alike to the story. I also like how you build things like the Westwall even though it probably isn't necessary against France, it just makes sense. In all I'm really liking how you're taking a balanced and realistic approach to your buildup and I can't wait to see what you're going to do with the war itself!

Chapter 3 - Wir erwarten Ihre Befehle.

x0NPj.jpg

Jesse Owens running at the Berlin Olypmics of 1936 for the USA.

Adolf was elated! The Olympics had been a grand success for Germany, winning 89 medals in total, the best of any other country. Deutschland über alles, the fitting lines of the national anthem sounded triumphantly in the Olympiastadion in Berlin, built specifically for these games to take place there. Das Reich was the greatest in sports and soon, as the world was going to find out, in a lot more than sports alone.

ZlJVu.png

The stadium in all its glory.

July 1936. The Fatherland.
35VVV.png

Throughout the month, Von Neurath kept working diligently on his foreign trades. Now that Das Reich had a decent cashflow, and a sizable treasury built up, he got the order to start importing oil en masse once again. This resulted in very good relations with the United States, as they were willing to give more and more oil for the same prices.

KMYUE.png

These trades will deplete the current treasury in roughly 14 months.

Improvements on the Bismarck model Battleship are also made in July, their reach and speed increasing as well as its anti-aircraft guns. Still not deemed adequate enough to handle the RN, the Führer held off on ordering new Battleships just yet, awaiting better designs or upgrades to the current model.

uRGP5.png

Research is now conducted towards improved Heavy Cruiser Anti-Aircraft Guns, and into Escort Carrier designs.

By the start of August, there was still no clear winner in the Spanish Civil War, although it could be said that the German equipment was working favorably for Franco, having been able to take Madrid and push all the Loyalists further east, towards the Med.

1D7XK.jpg

The Nationalists are fighting diligently.

From August 1st until August 16th, the Spiele der XI. Olympiade or the 11th Olympic Games, were held in the German capital of Berlin. It was a grand celebration of peace, in times of worldwide economic despair. 49 nations attended the event, but in the end Germany won the most medals of any other country competing.

vvgBs.jpg

"The sportive, knightly battle awakens the best human characteristics. It doesn't separate, but unites the combatants in understanding and respect. It also helps to connect the countries in the spirit of peace. That's why the Olympic Flame should never die." -Adolf Hitler

Yet, the development of the Wehrmacht did not stop at all during the festive month. Several upgrades were made to existing weaponry, as well as an improved operational command structure, allowing units at the front to advance faster onto their enemies.

dNYos.png

Over the course of August, a total of 83,000 freshly trained recruits were deployed on the Polish border. Most of these were regular infantry, but there were also several brigades with advanced anti-air weaponry or artillery available. The Führer was very pleased with the progress made by both the Heer and the Wehrmacht.

Shortly after the end of the Olympiade, worker morale was extremely high, and for an entire week they worked above their normal potential. This short boost for the economy would help in the long run.

Fuc5E.png

In September, another wing of fighters was deployed in Hannover, as well as another Z17 class Zerstörer in Kiel. Furthermore, the I. Sicherungskorps was founded in Hamburg, and would consist of 5 divisions of harbor patrol guards with anti-air support. They would keep Germany's harbors safe from sudden invasions. More of these Sicherungskorps were being trained, to secure our entire northern coast.

"WAS IST JETZT HIERMAL LOS? SIND SIE TOTAL VERÜCKT???"
An angry Führer came into the meeting room in the Reichstag to a fighting Halmar Schacht and Wilhelm Frick. Schacht was already in a foul mood, when Frick insinuated something about Halmar's mother. These childish remarks led to a bout of fisticuffs between the gentlemen, and a furious Hitler had to step in to calm everyone down. This sadly led to a few weeks where both men did not dare look each other in the eye, and the tight control of the nation slipped for just a little.

GARqq.png

The result of the infighting between Schacht and Frick.

Twp1S.png

Research projects finished in September.

Midway through October, several beat-up Panzerkampfwagens and Junkers Ju 87 aircraft returned by ship to Das Reich. Reports came in from Madrid that Franco had won the Spanish Civil War and that it was now a nationalist ruled country. The Führer was very happy with these developments, especially seeing how German equipment managed to keep up in Spain.

1oIRe.png

Facism on the rise.

gBXND.png

Research projects finished from October til December.

By the end of the year, at least another 100,000 troops had been trained and deployed to the borders with both Poland, France and Czechoslovakia. The Führer requested an update on the current research capability of Germany;

hH7uS.png

"Das sieht sehr gut aus. Sie haben wunderbare Arbeit geleistet!"
"Danke mein Führer. Es macht mir Freude."

Adolf had traveled to Munich to have a gander at the Haus der deutschen Kunst, and met with the building overseer Albert Speer, who had taken over from Paul Troost after he died in 1934. The building was nearing its completion and it would soon start exhibiting all kinds of wonderful art. Soon after, Adolf traveled by car around the city, together with Wilhelm Frick.

"Gibt es Neuigkeiten von die Abwehr, herr Frick?"
"Jawohl mein Führer. Wir haben Frankreich, Großbritannien, die Sowjetunion und die Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika infiltriert. Unsere Agenten warten auf Anweisungen."
"Gut. Sehr gut. Ihre Zeit wird kommen. Die Mission in Österreich läuft nicht sehr gut bisher. Das deutsche Volk verdient es, wieder vereint zu werden."
"Wir erwarten Ihre Befehle."

GipbQ.jpg

Leonhard Gall, Adolf Hitler & Albert Speer inspect the construction site in Münich.