• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I already asked this elsewhere, yet didn't get a satisfactory answer. Why does the game link names in the first place?

Is this all about numbering rulers holding the same title yet of different cultural origin correctly?

Yes, that is the reason.

So a French king of France will be Henri I, his English son Henry (and next king of France) will be Henry II and his German grandson will be Heinrich III of France.

Just bumping this again in case anyone has spotted any more names that need linking.

There's also a tiny bug in vanilla cultures.txt under catalan names:

Clemencia_ClementiaConstança_Constance

There should be a space between the two.

Welsh "Hugh", English/Norman "Hugh" and French "Hugues" are all linked, but for some reason French "Eudes" isn't. Quite annoying that my Norman King of France was Hugh I when he should have been Hugh II.

Welsh "Hugh", English/Norman "Hugh" and French "Hugues" are all linked, but for some reason French "Eudes" isn't. Quite annoying that my Norman King of France was Hugh I when he should have been Hugh II.
Actually I'm not sure this should be the case. There was a King Eudes of France, followed by a King Hugh I. Eudes should be linked with Odo.

I already asked this elsewhere, yet didn't get a satisfactory answer. Why does the game link names in the first place?

Is this all about numbering rulers holding the same title yet of different cultural origin correctly?
Along with the culture changing event - which, if the name has a linked name in the other culture, will change the child's name. So a child named Henri, who happens to become German, will become Heinrich.

Just bumping this up a bit because I am still finding unlinked names. I'll report a batch later -- anyone found some more?

I have actually been thinking about such a tool.

It would create a big excel table, with a row for every unique name (i.e. only one entry for N cross-linked names). Each column would contain the names of one culture. Names which are linked would be arranged in the same row. The last column would show the cross-link variants.

Like this:

Code:
German   English     French  	Swedish   Norwegian  ...  | Crosslink Identifier
==========================================================|======================
Hugo     Hugh        Hugues     -         -               | Hugh
Harald	 Harold		 -   		Harald	  Harald  | Harold
Wilhelm	 William     Guillaume  -         -               | William
-         -           -                   Olaf            | Olaf  
-		  -			  -         Olof  | -
In this table, you could see that for example the Norwegian Olof is not linked to the Swedish Olaf. You could easily add local variants where they are missing, and fix missing cross-links.

However I am getting married in July and my wife is driving me nuts with all the details we should plan or do so I have no time at all to program such a tool. :eek:

You don't wave candy in front of an excited child only to slap the child and tell him your future wife's more important. :p

Such a tool would be great -- I hope one day you get time to do it. :(

I have big text file that I have been making listing all not linked names in the culture.txt files. I'm in Mongol names at the moment and will post the list in the bug forums after I finish it. It might take some time as I'm doing it manually and don't think it will be finished before the next patch.

Last edited:
I have big text file that I have been making listing all not linked names in the culture.txt files. I'm in Mongol names at the moment and will post the list in the bug forums after I finish it. It might take some time as I'm doing it manually and don't think it will be finished before the next patch.
Awesome! Thanks so much. :)

I've also added the _Boris changes.

Awesome! Thanks so much. :)

I've also added the _Boris changes.

I'm not saying its 100% accurate but close that I can get with information available. There will most likely be names I haven't linked correctly. I also have listed all the mistakes I have come across going through the file. I reported the most major ones already like the male names in eqyptian arabic female names.

"Casimir" in Pommeranian name list is the same as Kazimierz in both Polish and Pommeranian (that list is a mess though, seems to be Polish and Czech names mixed randomly)
Vasilko in Russian list should be linked to Basil just as Vasiliy (sp). Vasilko is a diminutive of Vasiliy (sp).

There's a conspicuous lack of the name 'Séamas' in Irish despite its equivalent, 'James,' appearing in other cultures, and the same goes for 'Findlay' under Scottish names not having its original Irish form present - 'Findláech' would be a decent spelling for the period. 'Bran' in Irish is also not linked to Welsh 'Brân.'