• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sleight of Hand

retired modder
On Probation
14 Badges
Feb 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
Obviously this is for vanilla so please discount names added/changed in any mods you might play.

Originally mentioned here (or at least by me) but it was suggested a more general thread be opened to report these. The idea of this thread is to help the developers link up names which should be but currently aren't.

Please post the name in bold and the culture in (brackets) next to it so your suggestions are clear to see when reading this thread. :)

I'll start by suggesting that Lothaire (frankish) and Lothar (german) should be linked, as well as Clotaire (frankish) and Chlothar (german) although the latter name would need to be added.

There are also a couple of different spellings of Lothaire in frankish.txt (Lothair instead of Lothaire for example) so the numbering for Frankish kings can be incorrect.

Harald [Norwegian and Danish] and the Harold link is a big one, given the Stamford Bridge scenario. I'll try to find some more when I have time :)

Two Norwegian kings are mysteriously named Olof which should be linked with Olav/Oluf/Olaf(Norwegian, Danish, Swedish)

Harald Hardradas son, the historical Olav III Kyrre, will ingame become Olav I, ignoring Olav Tryggvason and Olav the Saint.

I'll probably come up with more later, but look at my post in the bug reports section:
Names not being liked isn't unique for Lothar though. Names like Alan and Alain (French, Breton, Scottish, Welsh etc.) aren't linked, or Antoon (Dutch) and Antoine (French) both should be linked through Antoninus (or rather Antonius), or Waelram (Dutch) and Walram (German), or Fulöp (Hungarian)and Philip (English) etc.
So I think that Isaios has a good idea about making a thread about name linking.

Valeran in the French list is a French variant for Walram too. Otakar in the Pomeranian name list and the Bohemian name list aren't linked; and Frigyes is Hungarian for Frederick.

To add to Walram, there's an English name called Waleran as well.

I've added all of your suggestions in my mod but all of these should definitely be added as fixes in a patch. Thanks a lot -- keep them coming!

How does one find the place where names are linked?

The links are in the cultures file: common/cultures.txt under the game folder. You'll see names like Baudouin_Baldwin and Boudewijn_Baldwin, which mean that both are treated as the equivalent of Baldwin in their respective languages.

This was a fun diversion :)

• Clotaire and Lothaire are the same name. (I think that might have been said in the OP but not sure.)
  • Saxon Hlothere is Lothaire.
  • Saxon Thurcytel is the same as Swedish Torkel and Norman Turquetil.
  • Saxon Æthelthryth is a woman's name but it's listed under male_names. It's the same name as Occitan Adeltrudis.
  • Saxon Gytha is the same as Swedish Gyda.
  • Greek Timotheos and Romanian Timotei.
  • Irish Tadg (modern spelling Tadhg) is generally anglicised as Timothy and vice versa so it could fall in with Timotheos/Timotei too.
  • Irish Gormflaith is generally anglicised as Barbara.
  • I think Italian Taddeo could be Theodore as Pomeranian has Tadeusz_Theodore.
  • Italian Teodoro should be Theodore.
  • Irish Lochlann could be Roland. (See Lochlann/Roland of Galloway.)
  • Irish Derborgaill and Dervorgilla are the same name.
  • Irish Siobán is Joan.
  • Irish Seonaid is Janet although that maps to Joan in the Scottish name list so maybe it should be Joan too.
  • Irish Finn and Welsh Gwen are technically the same name. (They come from the same root meaning either 'white' or 'fair'.)
  • Saxon Æthelmær and Frankish Adémar.
  • Scottish James is Jacob.
  • Scottish Ingram is (somewhat obscurely) Enguerrand.
  • Scottish Ragnailt is Ragnhild.
  • Swedish and Norwegian Ragnvald could be Reginald or Ronald, all from the same Norse root.
  • Dutch and Scottish Alwin could be either Saxon Æthelwine or Elfwine.
  • Dutch Gijsbrecht and IJsbrecht are both the same name as Giselbert which is linked to Gilbert.
  • Dutch Rutger is Roger.
  • And a whole bunch of Welsh links: Dafydd_David, Emrys_Ambrose (not in the file anywhere but Dutch has Ambroos and Magyar has Ambrus), Gerallt_Gerald, Gwilym_William, Ieuan_Ewan (Ewan is a form of John though), Ifor_Ivar, Iorwerth_Edward (not the same name but it's the typical anglicisation), Pawl_Paul, Pedr_Peter, Rhainallt_Ronald (or Reginald), Seisyll_Sesto, Sion_John, Tomos_Thomas, Alys_Alice, Denis_Denise, Efa_Eve, Fflur_Flora, Ffraid_Brigid, Mallt_Matilda, Mair_Mary, Nest_Agnes, Nesta_Agnes, Siân_Joan, Siwan_Joan, Ysbail_Elizabeth

Last edited:
Great list. I'll add those now. Thanks. :)

I assumed Hlothere was Lothaire and had already linked it, and I added Hrodberht_Robert too.

So I've just been thru your list and added those into my mod. Pretty thorough work -- well done.

Iago_Jacob (Welsh)
I added Lachlan_Roland (Scots) after I linked up Lochlann_Roland (Irish) -- there's also Rolando (Italian) which I assume should be Rolando_Roland?

The French Philippe (Philippe Auguste, Philippe le bel (the handsom) is from Ukainian origin (I do NOT remember wich one), as an Ukanian Princess married the King of France , and named the first son as Philippe (nicknamed Auguste).

Hope it can improve your list

Ethopian:

Ishkinder is listed twice (?) and only one is linked to Alexander.
Dawit is David.
Gebereal is Gabriel.
Tewodros is Theodore.
Yacob is Jacob.
Yohannas is John.
Yonas is Jonah.

There are also overlaps with some Arabic names. I spotted Hakeem = Hakim = Hakam but I'm sure there are others.

The name Adrian doesn't seem to be linked at all. If you do a search thru the file there are:

Adrien (Frankish)
Adriano (Italian)
Adrianos (Greek)
Adrian (Romanian)

Possibly others with more obscure spellings, but these should all be linked.

I also think Alisander_Alexander should be linked up for the Welsh.

Last edited:
Ethopian:

Ishkinder is listed twice (?) and only one is linked to Alexander.
Dawit is David.
Gebereal is Gabriel.
Tewodros is Theodore.
Yacob is Jacob.
Yohannas is John.
Yonas is Jonah.

There are also overlaps with some Arabic names. I spotted Hakeem = Hakim = Hakam but I'm sure there are others.

In my file I see this:

Iskander_Alexander Iskinder_Alexander

Slightly different spellings and both linked. I've definitely never edited Ethiopian names either.

By the way Gabriele (Italian) should be linked with Gabriel.

EDIT: Yonas is listed twice. Ah I see what you mean -- Iskinder is also.

Last edited:
Rudolf (German) is currently unlinked -- this is unfortunate as most people by this name are called Rudolph in the history files, which means that a duke Rudolph I would be succeeded by a duke Rudolf I instead of Rudolph II. I would suggest doing a 'replaceall' in german.txt, changing all instances of Rudolph to Rudolf as that is the correct German spelling.

Rudolf_Ralph should also be linked, as it's the German version of that name and Raoul (as in King Raoul / Rudolf of the Franks)

Rudolf (German) is currently unlinked -- this is unfortunate as most people by this name are called Rudolph in the history files, which means that a duke Rudolph I would be succeeded by a duke Rudolf I instead of Rudolph II. I would suggest doing a 'replaceall' in german.txt, changing all instances of Rudolph to Rudolf as that is the correct German spelling.

Rudolf_Ralph should also be linked, as it's the German version of that name and Raoul (as in King Raoul / Rudolf of the Franks)

The Norman Radolf should be linked to Rudolf as well

I already asked this elsewhere, yet didn't get a satisfactory answer. Why does the game link names in the first place?

Is this all about numbering rulers holding the same title yet of different cultural origin correctly?

Unlikely to crop up too much, but Tapani (Finnish, Komi) should be linked to Stephen, and Marja (Finnish) to Maria.

Antonija (Croatian, Serbian) should be linked with Italian Antonia.

James (Scottish) to Jacob.