• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anselm_Anselm for German, English, Norman and Italian (which is spelled Anselmo).

Aubrey_Aubrey for English and Norman -- the same name is also mistakenly (?) listed as a Norman female name.

Bo_Bo for Danish and Swedish.

Humphrey_Humphrey for English and Norman.

Jocelyn_Joscelin for English.

Mabel_Mabel for Scottish, Norman and Breton (which is spelled Mabille)

Last edited:
Internet claims Emmerich is a variant of Amalric; also links Hungarian Imre

The name is a relative to both Amalric and Henry as its variants include Amalric, Aimeric, Emelrich, Ermenrich, Heimirich, Heinrich and Henricus. This also makes it odd that there is Amalric and Aymeric as linking names when they basicly are both the same name.

The italian Innocenzo and the greek Innokentios should both linked. This are both formes of Innocent.

And Italian Iacopo is also Jacob.

Than the Italian Valerio, the greek Valerios and the romanian Valeriu. (There are also some female Valeria forms, search for Valer)

And Italian Agostino is _Augustus.

Also italian, occitan Alberic.

Then Italian Claudio nad Romanian Claudiu.

Also Italian Costantino must be _Constantine.

And the Greek Konstantios (NOT Konstantinos!) should linked with Italian Costanzo and Costante.

Italian (again) Enzo is a form of _Henry

Then Italian Ettore and greek Hektorios and the Portuguese Heitor.

Last edited:
I'm aware of it being a male name, but that's certainly not to say it isn't a female name too. I think Audrey is more a female name, which may be a version of it? Not sure.

I have add some more names in my list above:

The italian Innocenzo and the greek Innokentios should both linked. This are both formes of Innocent.

And Italian Iacopo is also Jacob.

Than the Italian Valerio, the greek Valerios and the romanian Valeriu. (There are also some female Valeria forms, search for Valer)

And Italian Agostino is _Augustus.

Also italian, occitan Alberic.

Then Italian Claudio nad Romanian Claudiu.

Also Italian Costantino must be _Constantine.

And the Greek Konstantios (NOT Konstantinos!) should linked with Italian Costanzo and Costante.

Italian (again) Enzo is a form of _Henry

Then Italian Ettore and greek Hektorios and the Portuguese Heitor.

That's not the same name/link as (for example) Valeran_Walram is it?

I have ask me the same. But no I don't think so. Wiki say:

Valerio or Valério is a male given name in several languages,[1] derived from the Roman surname Valerius, which itself is derived from the Latin verb valere - "to be strong".[2] Valerio also appears as a family name or surname

And from Walram I know this is from German orgin. So the names are similar but not the same. So also the Italian wikipedia. http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerio There are no connection to Valeran.

More:

German Burchard and French Bouchard

Italian Vittore and Vittorio, Bohemian Viktorín Romanian Victor and German Viktor

Italian Ruggiero is _Roger

Italian Salvatore, Castillian Salvador

Serbian and Greek Serapion (Evantually Italian Serafino? But I think this is another name)

Danish Severin and Italian Severino and Severo

Norman Rayner, Italian Rainero and Raniero, Occitan Rainers.

And I think the Italian -etto names should linked with the name. Simone and Simonetto for example. Or what did you think?

And I think Rudolf/Rolf and Ralph shpuld be split. The two names are not the same. Ralph cames from Radulf and Rolf from Rudolf.

Lots of Arab names

Alyasaʿ = Elisha
Andraos = Andrew
Ayyūb = Job
Binyāmīn = Benjamin
Dāwūd = David
Efraim = Ephraim
Hārūn = Aaron
Hawwā' = Eve
Ibrāhīm = Abraham
Ilyās = Elijah
ʿĪsà = Jesus = Joshua (used by Muslim Arabs)
Yasūʿ = Jesus = Joshua (used by Christian Arabs)
'Isḥāq = Isaac
'Ismāʿīl = Ishmael
Isrā'īl = Israel
Jibrīl = Gabriel
Jād = Gad
Maryam = Mary
Mattà = Matthew
Mikhā'īl = Michael
Mūsà = Moses
Nūḥ = Noah
Sārah = Sarah
Sulaymān = Solomon
ʿUbaydallāh = Obadiah
Yaʿqūb = Jacob = James
Yaḥyà = John (used by Muslim Arabs)
Yūḥannā = John (used by Christian Arabs)
Yūnus = Jonah
Yūsuf = Joseph
Zakariyā = Zachary = Zechariah

And I think Rudolf/Rolf and Ralph shpuld be split. The two names are not the same. Ralph cames from Radulf and Rolf from Rudolf.
That's probably a good idea; this is what I have so far so please tell me if I've made any mistakes (as is likely!):

_Ralph

Rædwulf_Ralph (Saxon)
Ralph_Ralph / Randolph_Ralph (English)
Radulf_Ralph / Ralph_Ralph / Randolf_Ralph (Norman)
Raolf_Ralph (Occitan)

Is Rafaello (Italian) a totally separate name or could it be linked to _Ralph?

_Rudolf

Rolf_Rudolf (Danish)
Rudolf_Rudolf (German and Dutch)
Rodulf_Rudolf (Saxon)
Raoul_Rudolf (Breton and Frankish)
Rodolfo_Rudolf (Italian)

Curiously the name Rodulf, which in vanilla is listed as a Dutch name, seems to be of mixed heritage. An example on Wikipedia is a guy who was an Anglo-Norman bishop but he died about fifteen years before the Norman Conquest (as Edward the Confessor had a Norman entourage). Any thoughts on where this name should go? For now I just use Rudolf for the Dutch but there may be a better Dutch-spelled alternative.

Are Reinaerd/Reinhard and Reinoud/Reinhard (Dutch/German) already linked? These could be linked with Reginald too.
Good idea -- I now have Reinhard_Reginald (German) and Reinaerd_Reginald (Dutch) linked. Correct?

Wait hang on -- the Dutch name Roelof looks suspiciously like it may link to Rudolf.

Also a problem with splitting Ralph / Rudolf would be the French name Raoul which apparently links back to both. For example the Frankish king Raoul is often given as Rudolf / Rudolph and should count as a regnal predecessor for either. What do we do here?

Wait hang on -- the Dutch name Roelof looks suspiciously like it may link to Rudolf.

Also a problem with splitting Ralph / Rudolf would be the French name Raoul which apparently links back to both. For example the Frankish king Raoul is often given as Rudolf / Rudolph and should count as a regnal predecessor for either. What do we do here?

Yes Roelof is a form of Rolf/Rudolf.

And the Raoul/Rolph. In German King Raoul is also translatet as Rudolf. A very common translation mistake I think. But the Goly Roman Emperor Rudolf woulth be translated Rodolphe not Raoul. So the French have two names and translated them seperatly. And in no ruler liste are Raouls and Rodolphes... So we can't check how it would work in real life.

But your list is okay (Without the French name) ;)

Is Rafaello (Italian) a totally separate name or could it be linked to _Ralph?

Seperate. It is a form of Raphael.

It may do a lot more toward getting these included in a patch if they were all collected into one post. I know it's a lot of work to be suggesting for someone else do, but I'd reckon there's somebody with more free time than myself who is willing to go over the whole thread.