+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: In cultures.txt which names that should be linked aren't? (Please contribute!)

Bad mojo Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Ascanian View Post
    I already asked this elsewhere, yet didn't get a satisfactory answer. Why does the game link names in the first place?

Is this all about numbering rulers holding the same title yet of different cultural origin correctly?
    Yes, that is the reason.

So a French king of France will be Henri I, his English son Henry (and next king of France) will be Henry II and his German grandson will be Heinrich III of France.

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Just bumping this again in case anyone has spotted any more names that need linking.

There's also a tiny bug in vanilla cultures.txt under catalan names:

Clemencia_ClementiaConstança_Constance

There should be a space between the two.
    Yeah, well... sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

HERSHEY'S: MORE SUSTAINING THAN MEAT (fact)

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Welsh "Hugh", English/Norman "Hugh" and French "Hugues" are all linked, but for some reason French "Eudes" isn't. Quite annoying that my Norman King of France was Hugh I when he should have been Hugh II.

Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Breton Hoël and Welsh Hywel should be linked also.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestra View Post
    Welsh "Hugh", English/Norman "Hugh" and French "Hugues" are all linked, but for some reason French "Eudes" isn't. Quite annoying that my Norman King of France was Hugh I when he should have been Hugh II.
    Actually I'm not sure this should be the case. There was a King Eudes of France, followed by a King Hugh I. Eudes should be linked with Odo.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultMarch of the EaglesSengokuCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Ascanian View Post
    I already asked this elsewhere, yet didn't get a satisfactory answer. Why does the game link names in the first place?

Is this all about numbering rulers holding the same title yet of different cultural origin correctly?
    Along with the culture changing event - which, if the name has a linked name in the other culture, will change the child's name. So a child named Henri, who happens to become German, will become Heinrich.
    List of My AARs:
    Gesta Capetingorum - Updated upon the nineteenth day of May, the year of our Lord and Savior 2014

Just bumping this up a bit because I am still finding unlinked names. I'll report a batch later -- anyone found some more?

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Bump for the bug-hunters.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IV

I'll start searching now

magyar Borisz is not linked with the South and East slavic Boris

Good man. It's a shame there isn't a tool that could help us with this. =/

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

I have actually been thinking about such a tool.

It would create a big excel table, with a row for every unique name (i.e. only one entry for N cross-linked names). Each column would contain the names of one culture. Names which are linked would be arranged in the same row. The last column would show the cross-link variants.

Like this:

Code:
    German   English     French  	Swedish   Norwegian  ...  | Crosslink Identifier
    ==========================================================|======================
    Hugo     Hugh        Hugues     -         -               | Hugh
    Harald	 Harold		 -   		Harald	  Harald  | Harold
    Wilhelm	 William     Guillaume  -         -               | William
    -         -           -                   Olaf            | Olaf  
    -		  -			  -         Olof  | -
    In this table, you could see that for example the Norwegian Olof is not linked to the Swedish Olaf. You could easily add local variants where they are missing, and fix missing cross-links.

However I am getting married in July and my wife is driving me nuts with all the details we should plan or do so I have no time at all to program such a tool.

You don't wave candy in front of an excited child only to slap the child and tell him your future wife's more important.

Such a tool would be great -- I hope one day you get time to do it.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I have big text file that I have been making listing all not linked names in the culture.txt files. I'm in Mongol names at the moment and will post the list in the bug forums after I finish it. It might take some time as I'm doing it manually and don't think it will be finished before the next patch.
    Last edited by Wezqu; 02-05-2012 at 20:02.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

The bulgarian Bogoris should linked to Boris too.

See this ruler: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_I_of_Bulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by Wezqu View Post
    I have big text file that I have been making listing all not linked names in the culture.txt files. I'm in Mongol names at the moment and will post the list in the bug forums after I finish it. It might take some time as I'm doing it manually and don't think it will be finished before the next patch.
    Awesome! Thanks so much.

I've also added the _Boris changes.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight of Hand View Post
    Awesome! Thanks so much.

I've also added the _Boris changes.
    I'm not saying its 100% accurate but close that I can get with information available. There will most likely be names I haven't linked correctly. I also have listed all the mistakes I have come across going through the file. I reported the most major ones already like the male names in eqyptian arabic female names.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IV

The italian names Niccolo and Nicola aren't linked to Nicholas. Romanian Nicolaie isn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikepie View Post
    The italian names Niccolo and Nicola aren't linked to Nicholas. Romanian Nicolaie isn't either.
    Added. Thanks.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Beautiful and Unique Snowflake Raczynski's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis: Rome

"Casimir" in Pommeranian name list is the same as Kazimierz in both Polish and Pommeranian (that list is a mess though, seems to be Polish and Czech names mixed randomly)
    Vasilko in Russian list should be linked to Basil just as Vasiliy (sp). Vasilko is a diminutive of Vasiliy (sp).
    A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire.

There's a conspicuous lack of the name 'Séamas' in Irish despite its equivalent, 'James,' appearing in other cultures, and the same goes for 'Findlay' under Scottish names not having its original Irish form present - 'Findláech' would be a decent spelling for the period. 'Bran' in Irish is also not linked to Welsh 'Brân.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast