+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In cultures.txt which names that should be linked aren't? (Please contribute!)

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Question In cultures.txt which names that should be linked aren't? (Please contribute!)

Obviously this is for vanilla so please discount names added/changed in any mods you might play.

Originally mentioned here (or at least by me) but it was suggested a more general thread be opened to report these. The idea of this thread is to help the developers link up names which should be but currently aren't.

Please post the name in bold and the culture in (brackets) next to it so your suggestions are clear to see when reading this thread.

I'll start by suggesting that Lothaire (frankish) and Lothar (german) should be linked, as well as Clotaire (frankish) and Chlothar (german) although the latter name would need to be added.

There are also a couple of different spellings of Lothaire in frankish.txt (Lothair instead of Lothaire for example) so the numbering for Frankish kings can be incorrect.
    Yeah, well... sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

HERSHEY'S: MORE SUSTAINING THAN MEAT (fact)

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultMarch of the EaglesSengokuCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Harald [Norwegian and Danish] and the Harold link is a big one, given the Stamford Bridge scenario. I'll try to find some more when I have time
    List of My AARs:
    Gesta Capetingorum - Updated upon the nineteenth day of May, the year of our Lord and Savior 2014

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Two Norwegian kings are mysteriously named Olof which should be linked with Olav/Oluf/Olaf(Norwegian, Danish, Swedish)

Harald Hardradas son, the historical Olav III Kyrre, will ingame become Olav I, ignoring Olav Tryggvason and Olav the Saint.
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Imperial Vicar of the HRE Ruwaard's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I'll probably come up with more later, but look at my post in the bug reports section:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruwaard View Post
    Names not being liked isn't unique for Lothar though. Names like Alan and Alain (French, Breton, Scottish, Welsh etc.) aren't linked, or Antoon (Dutch) and Antoine (French) both should be linked through Antoninus (or rather Antonius), or Waelram (Dutch) and Walram (German), or FulŲp (Hungarian)and Philip (English) etc.
    So I think that Isaios has a good idea about making a thread about name linking.
    Valeran in the French list is a French variant for Walram too. Otakar in the Pomeranian name list and the Bohemian name list aren't linked; and Frigyes is Hungarian for Frederick.

Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

To add to Walram, there's an English name called Waleran as well.

I've added all of your suggestions in my mod but all of these should definitely be added as fixes in a patch. Thanks a lot -- keep them coming!

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Second Lieutenant dancescenario6's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight of Hand View Post
    To add to Walram, there's an English name called Waleran as well.

I've added all of your suggestions in my mod but all of these should definitely be added as fixes in a patch. Thanks a lot -- keep them coming!
    How does one find the place where names are linked?

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Ferdinand isn't in the German names, which was kind of disappointing for my Habsburg style games where I got a German dynasty into Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by dancescenario6 View Post
    How does one find the place where names are linked?
    The links are in the cultures file: common/cultures.txt under the game folder. You'll see names like Baudouin_Baldwin and Boudewijn_Baldwin, which mean that both are treated as the equivalent of Baldwin in their respective languages.

This was a fun diversion
    • Clotaire and Lothaire are the same name. (I think that might have been said in the OP but not sure.)
    • Saxon Hlothere is Lothaire.
    • Saxon Thurcytel is the same as Swedish Torkel and Norman Turquetil.
    • Saxon ∆thelthryth is a woman's name but it's listed under male_names. It's the same name as Occitan Adeltrudis.
    • Saxon Gytha is the same as Swedish Gyda.
    • Greek Timotheos and Romanian Timotei.
    • Irish Tadg (modern spelling Tadhg) is generally anglicised as Timothy and vice versa so it could fall in with Timotheos/Timotei too.
    • Irish Gormflaith is generally anglicised as Barbara.
    • I think Italian Taddeo could be Theodore as Pomeranian has Tadeusz_Theodore.
    • Italian Teodoro should be Theodore.
    • Irish Lochlann could be Roland. (See Lochlann/Roland of Galloway.)
    • Irish Derborgaill and Dervorgilla are the same name.
    • Irish SiobŠn is Joan.
    • Irish Seonaid is Janet although that maps to Joan in the Scottish name list so maybe it should be Joan too.
    • Irish Finn and Welsh Gwen are technically the same name. (They come from the same root meaning either 'white' or 'fair'.)
    • Saxon ∆thelmśr and Frankish Adťmar.
    • Scottish James is Jacob.
    • Scottish Ingram is (somewhat obscurely) Enguerrand.
    • Scottish Ragnailt is Ragnhild.
    • Swedish and Norwegian Ragnvald could be Reginald or Ronald, all from the same Norse root.
    • Dutch and Scottish Alwin could be either Saxon ∆thelwine or Elfwine.
    • Dutch Gijsbrecht and IJsbrecht are both the same name as Giselbert which is linked to Gilbert.
    • Dutch Rutger is Roger.
    • And a whole bunch of Welsh links: Dafydd_David, Emrys_Ambrose (not in the file anywhere but Dutch has Ambroos and Magyar has Ambrus), Gerallt_Gerald, Gwilym_William, Ieuan_Ewan (Ewan is a form of John though), Ifor_Ivar, Iorwerth_Edward (not the same name but it's the typical anglicisation), Pawl_Paul, Pedr_Peter, Rhainallt_Ronald (or Reginald), Seisyll_Sesto, Sion_John, Tomos_Thomas, Alys_Alice, Denis_Denise, Efa_Eve, Fflur_Flora, Ffraid_Brigid, Mallt_Matilda, Mair_Mary, Nest_Agnes, Nesta_Agnes, Si‚n_Joan, Siwan_Joan, Ysbail_Elizabeth
    Last edited by Cwth; 21-04-2012 at 04:46.

Great list. I'll add those now. Thanks.

I assumed Hlothere was Lothaire and had already linked it, and I added Hrodberht_Robert too.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

So I've just been thru your list and added those into my mod. Pretty thorough work -- well done.

Iago_Jacob (Welsh)
    I added Lachlan_Roland (Scots) after I linked up Lochlann_Roland (Irish) -- there's also Rolando (Italian) which I assume should be Rolando_Roland?

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

The French Philippe (Philippe Auguste, Philippe le bel (the handsom) is from Ukainian origin (I do NOT remember wich one), as an Ukanian Princess married the King of France , and named the first son as Philippe (nicknamed Auguste).

Hope it can improve your list
    Born in Besancon
    Living in Phuket
    La cancoillotte c'est pas pour les Francois

Heir of the County of Burgundy

Ann of Kiev, yes.

It's a Greek name though so I presumed it's already tied to that.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Just bumping this so people don't miss it.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2

Ethopian:

Ishkinder is listed twice (?) and only one is linked to Alexander.
    Dawit is David.
    Gebereal is Gabriel.
    Tewodros is Theodore.
    Yacob is Jacob.
    Yohannas is John.
    Yonas is Jonah.

There are also overlaps with some Arabic names. I spotted Hakeem = Hakim = Hakam but I'm sure there are others.

The name Adrian doesn't seem to be linked at all. If you do a search thru the file there are:

Adrien (Frankish)
    Adriano (Italian)
    Adrianos (Greek)
    Adrian (Romanian)

Possibly others with more obscure spellings, but these should all be linked.

I also think Alisander_Alexander should be linked up for the Welsh.
    Last edited by Sleight of Hand; 23-04-2012 at 01:57.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Quote Originally Posted by pyroclastic View Post
    Ethopian:

Ishkinder is listed twice (?) and only one is linked to Alexander.
    Dawit is David.
    Gebereal is Gabriel.
    Tewodros is Theodore.
    Yacob is Jacob.
    Yohannas is John.
    Yonas is Jonah.

There are also overlaps with some Arabic names. I spotted Hakeem = Hakim = Hakam but I'm sure there are others.
    In my file I see this:

Iskander_Alexander Iskinder_Alexander

Slightly different spellings and both linked. I've definitely never edited Ethiopian names either.

By the way Gabriele (Italian) should be linked with Gabriel.

EDIT: Yonas is listed twice. Ah I see what you mean -- Iskinder is also.
    Last edited by Sleight of Hand; 23-04-2012 at 02:05.

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

Rudolf (German) is currently unlinked -- this is unfortunate as most people by this name are called Rudolph in the history files, which means that a duke Rudolph I would be succeeded by a duke Rudolf I instead of Rudolph II. I would suggest doing a 'replaceall' in german.txt, changing all instances of Rudolph to Rudolf as that is the correct German spelling.

Rudolf_Ralph should also be linked, as it's the German version of that name and Raoul (as in King Raoul / Rudolf of the Franks)

R.I.P. Peter O'Toole

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight of Hand View Post
    Rudolf (German) is currently unlinked -- this is unfortunate as most people by this name are called Rudolph in the history files, which means that a duke Rudolph I would be succeeded by a duke Rudolf I instead of Rudolph II. I would suggest doing a 'replaceall' in german.txt, changing all instances of Rudolph to Rudolf as that is the correct German spelling.

Rudolf_Ralph should also be linked, as it's the German version of that name and Raoul (as in King Raoul / Rudolf of the Franks)
    The Norman Radolf should be linked to Rudolf as well
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I already asked this elsewhere, yet didn't get a satisfactory answer. Why does the game link names in the first place?

Is this all about numbering rulers holding the same title yet of different cultural origin correctly?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete

Unlikely to crop up too much, but Tapani (Finnish, Komi) should be linked to Stephen, and Marja (Finnish) to Maria.

Antonija (Croatian, Serbian) should be linked with Italian Antonia.

James (Scottish) to Jacob.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast