• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Il Moro

Major
54 Badges
Jun 26, 2002
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Pride of Nations
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
I begin to be a "bit", not totally, just a "bit" disappointed about this problem... When should be supposed to be fixed this first priority bug?

Upvote 0
@ s123456789m: If you want to split hairs, you've got a point.

@ JanH: No apologies needed at all. I know you guys are working diligently on fixing this, and may even be victim to some external loose ends. I understand these things happen, and don't want to come off as "sour" in my previous post. To state comp98: we just want to play your game that looks really cool! Best of luck.

The game went through a Paradox QA process with an external testing facility. They didn't catch this problem at all. We are not very happy with them (though I will not name them).

I can imagine that you all aren't happy with the QA external testing facility crew but, now I'm wondering how is possible that nobody have a Microsoft XP SP3 with dual core processor PC configuration in scandinavia, that's the odd thing.

I can imagine that you all aren't happy with the QA external testing facility crew but, now I'm wondering how is possible that nobody have a Microsoft XP SP3 with dual core processor PC configuration in scandinavia, that's the odd thing.

The odd thing is that beta testers had to fill special forms when Paradox was open for beta testers for Naval War. The point of beta testing - to pick different users with different PC configurations. And I don't believe there were no Win XP beta testers.

The odd thing is that beta testers had to fill special forms when Paradox was open for beta testers for Naval War. The point of beta testing - to pick different users with different PC configurations. And I don't believe there were no Win XP beta testers.

That's right too.

Well, maybe it has something to do with the fact Microsoft has not "officially" supported Windows XP for 3 years. They ONLY release securtity updates to stem the tide of botnets and zombified machines from people who refuse to update from an OS that's 11 YEARS OLD. And the fact Microsoft is shutting off security updates in 18 months... AND every gamer should have dumped XP by now and if they haven't should do so within the next year.

Let me put this in perspective. Windows XP has been supported longer than Windows 95 AND Windows 98 AND Windows ME COMBINED. I've been gaming since the early days of DOS, and even though I went through a selfish phase, I still didn't whine at developers who finally dumped DOS, skipped Widnows 3.1 and developed only for Windows 95. Once again, the time involved here in the latter days for DOS through Windows 95's mainstream adoption is tiny compared to Windows XP's lifespan.

So please, don't force TTG which is a very tiny team of developers (who've probably not seen their families much in the last year) to spend hundreds or thousands of hours making this compatible with an OS that should have been dumped by every gamer at this point. To be blunt, that is selfish.

The argument that strategy gamers don't upgrade is silly. I am "one of you". I've been gaming since before Harpoon was Harpoon, played the wonderful Red Storm Rising from Microprose ... in fact, I was a little kid when the best game around was bouncing a dot between two small lines. If those of you stuck on Windows XP are afraid of upgrading due to compatabiolity issues I will happily offer my time and assistance to find hardware/software that will work economically for you. But it's not fair to EXPECT a small team like TTG to work backwards instead of working to build a game that will grow and support them. No, I do not know anyone at TTG or Paradox, but from what I've seen and read, all the people at Paradox and TTG are good hard-working people who deserve better that the crap doled out at more deserved targets like Activision and UBisoft.

Well, maybe it has something to do with the fact Microsoft has not "officially" supported Windows XP for 3 years. They ONLY release securtity updates to stem the tide of botnets and zombified machines from people who refuse to update from an OS that's 11 YEARS OLD. And the fact Microsoft is shutting off security updates in 18 months... AND every gamer should have dumped XP by now and if they haven't should do so within the next year.

Let me put this in perspective. Windows XP has been supported longer than Windows 95 AND Windows 98 AND Windows ME COMBINED. I've been gaming since the early days of DOS, and even though I went through a selfish phase, I still didn't whine at developers who finally dumped DOS, skipped Widnows 3.1 and developed only for Windows 95. Once again, the time involved here in the latter days for DOS through Windows 95's mainstream adoption is tiny compared to Windows XP's lifespan.

So please, don't force TTG which is a very tiny team of developers (who've probably not seen their families much in the last year) to spend hundreds or thousands of hours making this compatible with an OS that should have been dumped by every gamer at this point. To be blunt, that is selfish.

The argument that strategy gamers don't upgrade is silly. I am "one of you". I've been gaming since before Harpoon was Harpoon, played the wonderful Red Storm Rising from Microprose ... in fact, I was a little kid when the best game around was bouncing a dot between two small lines. If those of you stuck on Windows XP are afraid of upgrading due to compatabiolity issues I will happily offer my time and assistance to find hardware/software that will work economically for you. But it's not fair to EXPECT a small team like TTG to work backwards instead of working to build a game that will grow and support them. No, I do not know anyone at TTG or Paradox, but from what I've seen and read, all the people at Paradox and TTG are good hard-working people who deserve better that the crap doled out at more deserved targets like Activision and UBisoft.
I agree with most of your statement. however its not good business to state that the game will run on win xp, and find it doesn't.basically that's false advertisement, i have never heard of this company TTG but i'm afraid they maybe off to a bad start.
don't get me wrong here I hope TTG does well for we need fresh developer's. but in this day and age you expect a product to do what is says....

XP is in the list of the OS supported by NWAC. Fullstop.

All other discussion are OT. Fullstop again.

I think its time for some to ugrade thier Sega Genisis systems, If youre still runnin XP its time to ditch it, its not supported anymore, nadda, nothing. Get on with it brothers, use more than the 3 gigs of ram that XP can use. 64 bit. I was a diehard XP fan also but it was time to face reality just as it was when it was time to upgrade to XP. Developers shouldnt have to spend the extra cash to develope a game that will run on outdated tech.Thats cash that could be spent on graphics and game content that makes all us gamers quiver with excitement. Arctic circle seems to be running quite good on most peoples rigs as a whole and its just some individuals that are having issues and as Jan said most of them are running old gear.I mean if there hasnt been a driver update for your gear in the past year, well its time to get a paper route and buy that upgrade. You'll end up thanking yourself anyways for it. Heck I'm running it on a AMD 5000+ time for me to upgrade also lol.

What is the point of spending more than you need to run the software you use? I will replace my PC in 2 years time when XP Pro goes out of support. Right now I don't need more than I've got to run favourites like Harpoon and Falcon 4 at high fps. If you want to play for example ArmaIII when it's out or Rise of Flight it's a different ball game, I admit that. There is no single gaming hardware requirement. If the ads had said the game doesn't support XP, I could have lived with that, something to look forward to in 2 years, by which time it will no doubt have grown into a great sim. JanH has with his usual candour clearly identified the issue.

This reminded me of a joke I read on some forum, regarding upgrading XP:
-------
My wife of 40 years is looking a little flat and dull now also. She is a little slower than she used to be but general functions well. Still can cook the ocassional meal and wash the clothes once a week. I could upgrade, but I get the feeling that could be tedious, time consuming and expensive. Same goes for computers - I think!

What is the point of spending more than you need to run the software you use? I will replace my PC in 2 years time when XP Pro goes out of support. Right now I don't need more than I've got to run favourites like Harpoon and Falcon 4 at high fps. If you want to play for example ArmaIII when it's out or Rise of Flight it's a different ball game, I admit that. There is no single gaming hardware requirement. If the ads had said the game doesn't support XP, I could have lived with that, something to look forward to in 2 years, by which time it will no doubt have grown into a great sim. JanH has with his usual candour clearly identified the issue.

Foxendown - XP Pro will be unupported well before 2 calendar years are up. Unless you don't hook up the the Internet, you really do not want to be running it after that date unless you love getting hacked and further enjoy supporting the PLAOC. Doesn't matter what kind of AV & anti-spyware you're running at that point. I know it seems cool to say "No one's going to force me to upgrade", but at that point it's for your own good. If you don't connect to the Internet or run behind 7 proxies and 2 hardware firewalls with IPS then you can ignore... but most people don't want their Internet to slow to 56k speeds to do that.

Mansoon, while I would say that joke totally applies to Apple OS's and their frequent iEverything hardware replacements... upgrading from XP is not simply "a shiny new thing" deal... it's about security and stability. I guess if you don't work with compromised PC's you might not understand the severity of what's lurking. It's kind of like the anti-vaccine crowd. The lack of vaccines across the broad population makes everyone weaker and more susceptible - across the Internet the same thing is true. If everyone dropped Win XP tomorrow, the number of DDoS's would instantly drop by half. The only reason MS is even doing security updates is the US an EU threatened them when they tried a year or two ago (due to the impending security mess it would make) - and worked out a deal to no longer be liable from 2014 on. If you think MS did it because they were concerned with consumer feedback - you should really be thanking your government.

But in this day and age, no one wants to listen to good advice, if it means adjusting ones outlook even a little :(

Foxendown - XP Pro will be unupported well before 2 calendar years are up. Unless you don't hook up the the Internet, you really do not want to be running it after that date unless you love getting hacked and further enjoy supporting the PLAOC. Doesn't matter what kind of AV & anti-spyware you're running at that point. I know it seems cool to say "No one's going to force me to upgrade", but at that point it's for your own good. If you don't connect to the Internet or run behind 7 proxies and 2 hardware firewalls with IPS then you can ignore... but most people don't want their Internet to slow to 56k speeds to do that.

Mansoon, while I would say that joke totally applies to Apple OS's and their frequent iEverything hardware replacements... upgrading from XP is not simply "a shiny new thing" deal... it's about security and stability. I guess if you don't work with compromised PC's you might not understand the severity of what's lurking. It's kind of like the anti-vaccine crowd. The lack of vaccines across the broad population makes everyone weaker and more susceptible - across the Internet the same thing is true. If everyone dropped Win XP tomorrow, the number of DDoS's would instantly drop by half. The only reason MS is even doing security updates is the US an EU threatened them when they tried a year or two ago (due to the impending security mess it would make) - and worked out a deal to no longer be liable from 2014 on. If you think MS did it because they were concerned with consumer feedback - you should really be thanking your government.

But in this day and age, no one wants to listen to good advice, if it means adjusting ones outlook even a little :(
Dear jpinard, seems you did not get the point: we are not discussing about how XP is old or about the convenience to upgrade to W7, this is a forum NWAC related.

NWAC is a game published to support some OSs and in the list there is XP: that's all!

The game has to work as stated in game requirements and this is why Jan confirmed his efforts and TTG support to players with freezing issue.

Then we can discuss about your suggestions and convenience to upgrade to W7 but this is another matter on which some can agree and others not.

I would like, at this point, to bring attention to some issues that are not being properly discussed. They relate to this specific bug (of which I am STILL a victim, by the way), but to some other overall issues.

Though the developers (of which I assume JanH is a main representant) are obviously trying (apparently) to solve this main issue, I too think that the problem is being downplayed somewhat, in an indirect manner.

People are always saying that paradox has a huge online comunity, that many developers are there improving their games etc... that is all fine, of course, but it all is said in such a manner as if they (devs and comunity) were doing us FAVOURS of which we were supposed to be imensely grateful.

That is not how it works. We are CUSTUMERS. I bougth a game (this and many others, chech how much games I have activated) because of paradox's standards (which used to be higher). When I buy a game I expect it to work, to have support, to have answers. But all i've been seeing is one of two things: a) a developer saying "we're on it" every now and then, and b) for every time a dev says something, there are 100 other users saying things like "get off the guys back. My game works fine, so its your problem, be patient". As if I were here to get the opinion of other users! Some guy actually had the nerve to come to me and say "its obviously a problem at your end, as I had no such complaint".

Why do I see so many people here in a "touchy" stance? "Oh my, dont complain, the devs are great guys and are doing their best... dont be mean to them... what would happen if they decided to stop being helpful " etc etc... what the heck is going on? We are now coming to understand that we bougth an un-ready game, and we are the bad guys for coming here and complain about it? I paid for this game, damn it, and I want it working! And on the side, I would also like for satisfied customers (or "lucky customers" they should be called, as they are just that, lucky for having the game to work) to stop meddling with anything but constructive opinions. For every constructive opinion I read from an user, I read 10 or so post praising the game and making it seem that the complaining custumers are something like an comunity pariah.

Paradox really should come out and say "here is your money back. We'll correct the game then put it out again - so next time you buy a game from us, you will know we mean business".

Though you do have a point, it's just not possible.

Most game studios rely on a publisher for funding and distribution. If the developer needs more time but the publisher isn't willing or able to fund it further, they can either release the game or close up shop.

Also, noone has any obligation to support a product after launch. It's the decent thing to do, of course, but that doesn't mean they will, or even can. If sales are poor, there may be no money to spend on support. (Sadly?) there are no laws stating a minimum level of quality for software (and how would you measure such a thing anyway? Customer satisfaction? T'is a fickle thing at best).

Every gamer that buys a fair amount of games, takes a chance on a less-than-gauranteed-succes now and then, has been burned by a shoddy purchase that recieved no support afterwards (anyone familiar with Silent Hunter 5? Just an example).

As such, a lot of gamers have come to appreciate proper conduct quite a lot. They know they are taking risks, they know there are no gaurantees, and they appreciate it when a developer/publisher doesn't just dump something on the market and goes into hiding with their cash.

Also, an open dialog with the people working on something is rare, and they want to maintain that. As a result they can be a bit protective of... well, basically their investment.

Buying a game is (sadly?) not the same experience as buying something like a coffee-maker. The market/industry is simply structured differently and laws really don't deal well with it. (same thing applies to other media as well though; a book or movie can be bad, but those can't be patched afterwards)

(obviously these are my own views, but I can't imagine I'm the only one)

Oh and should you guys be interested, I just posted this previous post in "RADIO ROOM", the single best naval games forum in the internet, with the following commentary:

"So far, I am still one of the many users "awarded" with a bug in which the game's units simply freeze (but not the game itseelf). The developers seems to have no clue as to why this happens. All guys who have reported this flaw have acceptable hardware platforms.

Many people complain about that in paradox's specific forum, but our voices are being muffled by an atmosphere of sheer praise and compliments. A too-good-to-be-true cheer, by the way, as the game is plagued with many shortcomings, both in performance (no savegame button in single missons, for instance!) and in realism (aircraft being able to launch withins seconds even if you order their ordnance changed, for instance). I'm not saying that these praises are lies; maybe people just dont know better. Anyway, it is obvious that this "hurray!" climate is bringing down the effort from a part of the comunity (victims of this game's too early, untested release) to point out that main flaws are a fact and no solution is within sight - worse than that, the happiness of a majority of users (could be merely 50% + 1, i dont really know) appears to be posing the complaining ones as: a) an irrelevant group, considering that "so many people" are happy with the game; b) basicly, moaners that have nothing better to do than to disagree with the pre-concept that the devs are the best guys in the world, and thanks god for them."