• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Il Moro

Major
54 Badges
Jun 26, 2002
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Pride of Nations
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
I begin to be a "bit", not totally, just a "bit" disappointed about this problem... When should be supposed to be fixed this first priority bug?

Upvote 0
Please register your game to get access to the tech support forum, where this question belongs. Thanks :)

Currently I've only the demo, I can't register a game that I don't have purchased due to the well known freeze issue.

Currently I've only the demo, I can't register a game that I don't have purchased due to the well known freeze issue.

Do the patches even affect the demo? - I doubt it.

The game practically never crashes on any of the PCs we have (home or office) either. The problem is that there are a zillion combinations of hardware and software out there, and some obviously make the game crash. We have to find out which, and try to fix it.

Are you running it on Win XP jpinard?

It seems to me that if you are running XP the game is highly likely to have a "unit freeze" after about 5-10 minutes, but if you are running Vista or 7 this doesn't happen.. It's not really a "crash" which implies the whole game goes down. It doesn't crash in the usual sense, the interface still works, even the sea animations keep going but the units are frozen in place. I'm running the game on my XP desktop (freezes but 100-150 fps for as long as it lasts) and my Vista laptop (works fine but max of 12 fps). The OS seems to be the issue, so did Turbo Tape games test this game on 32 bit XP and do they currently run it successfully on a PC with XP? If so, it would be interesting to know what the setup of that test machine is.

I've just registered and will post logs later today.

The game practically never crashes on any of the PCs we have (home or office) either. The problem is that there are a zillion combinations of hardware and software out there, and some obviously make the game crash. We have to find out which, and try to fix it.

This statement made me quite angry to be honest. It comes over as if you downplay this issue. May I remind you that there are quite a few customers '(with the correct system-prerequisites) not able to play your game at all!?

The sub-bugforum has dozens of people reporting on this freezing issue, with quite a few providing you with their logs. It's important to realise this is just the tip of an iceberg; most people don't have the time, the will or the knowledge to log their problems on the correct forums. Most just wait patiently wait for a patch, or have already (desillusioned) gone to other games. Saying this is an isolated issue is, in my opinion, an understatement.

Secondly, most of these freezing issues seem to appear on very "basic" (i.e. older) computers. Looking at the logs, one notices it's mostly XP sp3 users, dual core, with nvidia 9500 -range graphic cards and 4 gig RAM that are affected. This is a very well-known, basic pc-setup (i would say 20 to 30% of the current pc-market?) and should naturally be part of any basic QA testing program! This kind of pc-setup is NOT one-out-of-a-zillion.

So, to help you guys out, I'm offering to send you a PC i have here with ONLY xp sp3 and all relevant drivers, with naval warfare installed. Logs of this machine (dxdiag etc) are already on the bugforum. NO anti-virus, no firewall, no whatever! And the game still has the freezing issue. So just send me your adress, and if you pick up the DHL bill, we're good to go.

This statement made me quite angry to be honest. It comes over as if you downplay this issue. May I remind you that there are quite a few customers '(with the correct system-prerequisites) not able to play your game at all!?

The sub-bugforum has dozens of people reporting on this freezing issue, with quite a few providing you with their logs. It's important to realise this is just the tip of an iceberg; most people don't have the time, the will or the knowledge to log their problems on the correct forums. Most just wait patiently wait for a patch, or have already (desillusioned) gone to other games. Saying this is an isolated issue is, in my opinion, an understatement.

Secondly, most of these freezing issues seem to appear on very "basic" (i.e. older) computers. Looking at the logs, one notices it's mostly XP sp3 users, dual core, with nvidia 9500 -range graphic cards and 4 gig RAM that are affected. This is a very well-known, basic pc-setup (i would say 20 to 30% of the current pc-market?) and should naturally be part of any basic QA testing program! This kind of pc-setup is NOT one-out-of-a-zillion.

So, to help you guys out, I'm offering to send you a PC i have here with ONLY xp sp3 and all relevant drivers, with naval warfare installed. Logs of this machine (dxdiag etc) are already on the bugforum. NO anti-virus, no firewall, no whatever! And the game still has the freezing issue. So just send me your adress, and if you pick up the DHL bill, we're good to go.

It makes you angry when a dev says "When we figure out the issue we'll fix it."? Huh...

I take it you mean consumer PC's not 'gamer' PC's?
XP=15.46%
2CPU=49.51%
9500=1.90%
4GB ram=24.08%

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

I've moved this to the tech support forum, to keep the forum structure clean :)

Have you ever think to ask for help from Paradox's guys? They aren't of your group but they have much more experience in gaming developement, nobody is going to judge you as inepts if you ask them for help, I think that customers who had bought the game, and can't play it, are always a bad advertisement.

Don't forget about the demo too, a potential customer that try it out and see that it don't work for his PC, which kind of conclusion should he make?

Just my 2 cents.

The game went through a Paradox QA process with an external testing facility. They didn't catch this problem at all. We are not very happy with them (though I will not name them).

Tho tbh its one of the least buggy and most stable non internal releases for a while, and no "OMFG BBQ ripoff" threads

After Steamupdate yesterday 21.04.2012 the Game freeze after some minutes.
I can only kill it with taskmanager.
It is totaly unplayable, I am running Windows 7 64Bit Professional on I7 980, latest Nvidia Drivers.
As I dont have issues in other games I see it related to the patch...
Is there a way to do a roll back?

The point here is not how many people use XP in the population as a whole, nor among gamers. What was critical for the developers was working out how many people in the target audience for this game still use XP. This game may well attract people who are new to modern naval strategy games, but I'm sure the developers also wanted to appeal to the niche market that plays naval games like Harpoon. Gamers who are into strategy tend to have more conservative hardware requirements and tend to hang on to hardware that other gamers would consider obsolete because that's all they need. I would not be surprised if the number of people who would be running XP took the developers by surprise. It is interesting that this website originally gave Vista as the minimum OS. When the game came out on Steam and Gamersgate, I saw that XP had been added. I may be reading too much into this, but that looks like a last minute decision the testing didn't quite catch up with.

I don't mean these comments to sound sour: I have read lot of JanH's posts before registering and it's clear to me the developers are committed and sincere. The comments about QA are refreshingly honest. I am hopeful that after this bumpy start this game will shine, expecially if a modding and scenario building community moves in around it.