• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok I restarted a game as Russia and went 1% bureaucrat and 4% clergy and there is NO way you converted all Russian provs to that in under 50 years

Ok I restarted a game as Russia and went 1% bureaucrat and 4% clergy and there is NO way you converted all Russian provs to that in under 50 years

It gets faster as time goes on, by the time you've done 4 -5 states the bureaucrats will be greater than 1% everywhere and the clergy will be around 2% just from regular promotion and low taxes. That was just an estimate but your lit gain will be very high and you should be nearing ~50% by 1880 and gaining ~2% a year after that.

Here is our newest multiplayer save I think we're at 1876.
http://www.xvoindustries.com/Russia31.rar
Mind you I had to use all my NFs on soldiers for about a decade because of a very costly war with NGF.

He's right. Promoting bureaucrats is completely redundant; since they’ll increase by time (I'll only use them to make my central Asian possessions states). Promoting clergy until you've got 4% in every state is also not necessary, because they'll promote by themselves. You should NF clergy for the first ~30 years and from then on check every few years which province has the lowest literacy and NF clergy there. Other than that, just go for clerks - I've got 1% by 1880.

Here are some advices, other than those already mentioned:

-Sphere Manchuira, you'll get their easternmost region.
-Attack the central asian minors once you've got nationalism & imperialism, its only half of the infamy. For those who think these regions are completly unnessecary, 5 of them are going to be oil regions later in the game
-If you have some spare infamy, attack Sweden - fast literacy and a bunch of craftsmen.
-Taking Posen, West & East Prussia makes your borders look crappy, trust me :p

Here is our newest multiplayer save I think we're at 1876.
http://www.xvoindustries.com/Russia31.rar
Mind you I had to use all my NFs on soldiers for about a decade because of a very costly war with NGF.
What version are you playing with? Because...

Mine:
gmjzufdcnve.jpg

Yours:
imem8tthuism.jpg

Last edited:
Playing with the newest beta but it's multiplayer (10 people). Me and NGF were at war for nearly 20 years straight which is why I'm behind in some things and have had to become a democracy (80% war exhaustion will give you full militancy for years if you don't pass reforms). We have a rule in place which prevents us from going for medicare reforms with militancy, explaining the population difference in the cores. We think that passing the population reforms through militancy is gamey for mp since it's a no brainer. We also have an infamy limit of 30 and I've been spending that all trying to keep NGF down (but as you can see from the save Austria allowed pannationalists to take over and freed Hungary to make a super Germany....after all my hard work destroying NGF too).

The next decade is going to be dedicated to industry and easy expansion in the east. I hope I can reach your industry, that's a very nice Russia you have there. :D

I think owning all of Poland looks charming :p

WAIT WAIT...if I just sphere Manchuria it gives me my territory?!?!

I generally let spending promote crats as Russia while I NF clergy to 2%. Then I let spending take over for the clergy. With the right budget, it's not too hard to get the promotions.

BUT

I also spam cultural techs for the first 20 years and abuse the avante-garde intelligentsia to get several education techs, plurality from Ideological Thought, and Nationalism and Imperialism so that I can annex the central Asian states. I avoid wars for those 20 years, even leaving the Ottomans alone. This lets me play cultural catch-up so that I can get a ton of RPs for use later in the game.

so high tax for low income and medium for middle class will help with promotions?

no low tax will increase promotion and high tax will slow it down.I prefer to keep low taxes for poor unless I need money. I prefer to keep my middle taxes high because I generally don't want them to promote and I almost always need their money. I prefer to keep rich taxes high unless I'm trying to get capitalists to build things.

Guys, you can get plenty of promotions from the Poor to crats and clergy even if they have high taxes. Russia starts with only mediocre commerce techs, so it's not like setting taxes to 75% on the poor is going to kill them. Your efficiency just isn't that great.

Now, if you want craftsmen, you shouldn't be trying to get farmers to promote in the early game anyway. You want them to DEMOTE to craftsmen because they will demote faster than they promote anyway. Poor POPs that are unemployed will turn into craftsmen in a heartbeat if there are jobs waiting for them.

High tax on lower class = less promotion to aristocrats/capitalist and more to others (including clergy/bureaucrat)
High tax on middle class = less promotion to aristocrats/capitalist and more to others (lower and middle)
High tax on higher class = more demotion for aristocrats/capitalist to others (less bourgeoisie)

Together with high spending on education and bureaucracy, pops will rush to be clergy and bureaucrat.
I don't see the support for having low taxes on lower class to get clergy being reasonable, since the poors will promote to clergy regardless of their own needs. Not to mention fully satisfied lower class prefer to become the rich.

High tax on lower class = less promotion to aristocrats/capitalist and more to others (including clergy/bureaucrat)
High tax on middle class = less promotion to aristocrats/capitalist and more to others (lower and middle)
High tax on higher class = more demotion for aristocrats/capitalist to others (less bourgeoisie)

Together with high spending on education and bureaucracy, pops will rush to be clergy and bureaucrat.
I don't see the support for having low taxes on lower class to get clergy being reasonable, since the poors will promote to clergy regardless of their own needs. Not to mention fully satisfied lower class prefer to become the rich.

You get more people promoting overall. If you take a look at a large farmer pops at high taxes you might have 10 promoting, but if you lower the taxes and look again you'll have 11 or 12 or more promoting. The demand to go to aristocrats disappears once they reach 2%. I've never seen lower classes promote to capitalists, I don't think it's possible.

I've never taken into account demotion on middle or high class pops but I suppose it's possible that a middle level of taxes on your middle class might slow down promotion and demotion on them and increase your overall clergy and bureaucrats.

I apologize if this is a bit of a thread hijack but:

I played a Russian game and followed some of the advice in this thread (promoting clergy, getting education modifiers) and it worked fairly well. Its 1890, I have literacy of 74% and its rising by 1% a year, I have the third highest industrial score and I feel fairly confident I will be #1 or #2 by the end of the game.

But.

I have not managed to pass a single reform. Consciousness, globally, stayed at <1 and militancy <1 for most of the game. Right now avg consciousness is 1.4 but its dropping. I tried overtaxing people or switching ruling parties but consciousness still generally went down. I couldn't even pass the peasant reforms.

Whats even stranger is, despite my average militancy being less than 1, I have huge rebel problems from Jacobins, Communists....and reactionaries. Huge revolts every couple years. But no push for reform in the Upper house.

I assumed high literacy+high taxes and a fair amount of industrialization would push me to liberalize. But obviously I was wrong. How do you reform Russia?

It sounds like you have a small but militant minority. But what version of Vic2 are you running? AHD or vanilla?

AHD. Latest patch.

I finally got my avg consciousness up to 4 in 1900 and managed to pass peasant reform and move to censored press. Then 300k+ Jacobin rebels rose up in 1902 and I figured "why not let them win?"

My industrial score then dropped almost 2k in the rebellion and Crimea broke away. The Prussia started invading my allies while I had no military. Probably a bad idea.