• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(213039)

Sergeant
5 Badges
Jun 28, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I think I read in another thread that you can't. Can't find that thread now.

What I'm wondering is, what if I totally uninstall Steam would that uninstall CK2 as well and then I can download Steam again then download the game again -- would that newly downloaded game be 1.05 only or will it give me the original 1.04 *I paid $40 for* and give me the *option* to patch?

I took the patch option earlier and the bugs I'm hearing about I guess I'm out of the game until a hotfix.

What I'm worried about though is other than bugs, if CKII goes into a gameplay direction I don't want to play how can I get a 1.04 copy? I'm not liking the sound of how crusade victors just get granted the entire target kingdom. That sounds gamebreaking to me. I understand a game going off in a different direction, like EU3, but I'd like to be able to do what I can with EU3 and just go back to the version and mods that I enjoy playing.

I'm worried I'm going to have to wind up buying this game all over again, from Gamersgate, just to get a steam-free 1.04 copy I can always have. That's really not right though, I paid $40 for the game I have already paid for it you know? If I have to buy it all over again I'll have to wait a year for it to be something like $20 or $10. *Which is exactly why I was so bent out of shape about Steam in the first place*, I had a feeling something like this would happen.

^^ which is a whole other thread, bottom line I'm hooked in with Steam now but still PI somehow got some money from me along the way so can I get a 1.04 copy? I did pay for it after all, no?

It simply, if you hit 'reinstall' IIRC it automatically goes to the newest patch no option to refuse
To keep back ups of old version u simply need to copy paste the files to a new location, out side of steam
basically the procedue when you install a beta patch
keep a copy in steam folders incase you need to get a clean copy of the game

It simply, if you hit 'reinstall' IIRC it automatically goes to the newest patch no option to refuse
To keep back ups of old version u simply need to copy paste the files to a new location, out side of steam
basically the procedue when you install a beta patch
keep a copy in steam folders incase you need to get a clean copy of the game

But I already patched.

So.. is my access to a 1.04 CK2 just gone forever?

(oh wait I got it from Gamefly and the Steam is verification.. maybe I can download a 1.04 from Gamefly unless Gamefly is forcing 1.05-only too, and then there's the question of whether when Steam loads to do its verifying is it going to force the patch on me? Of course, if one just chooses to play 1.04 then I guess you lose out on the leader DLC and future newDLC'S?

Honestly I hate to complain so much, but thing is when PI does patches and expansions sometimes they fundamentally change the game in ways some don't want. The way this is shaping up, it's like I've signed up to WOW or something not like I bought an as-is game but rather one that can be changed from patch to patch and a few patches down the line it may not be a game I want anymore but I can't get back to what I first paid for.)

Last edited:
I like steam.

Again to re-iterate, no you can not roll back with steam, it will automatically give you the latest version of the game. If you have turned off automatic patching, you can remain on the old version.

I'd like to roll back too. I was in an epic game and even told STEAM NOT to update Crusader Kings 2 and now it's pretty much gone (was on a mod). Saddens me.

I love STEAM but I HATE the auto-patch. the auto-updates, and the difficulty in playing off-line.

I revive this thread because this worryies me very much : My save games are not compatible with 1.05, maybe for I use a mod ("Tweaks Mod").
I basically stop played since 1.05 came out...
Does someone have any new idead on how to roll back to 1.04?

Thanks

You can't revert to previous patches. It's just not possible.

If you keep a separate copy of the game away from Steam and make sure you don't auto-update, then you will be able to play with an old version, but there is no way to delete an already applied patch and play with a previous version of the game.

Personally I like steam and have never had any need to roll back to a previous patch. But, I believe with some foresight you can keep older versions of CK2 to play.

You don't need to launch the game from the steam folder, you can copy it to where-ever you like on your drive and launch it from there. So, if you were to copy the game over to a new directory whenever a new patch came down and then keep a separate directory for each version then you could play the version you wanted. I realise that this doesn't help much with rolling back, but if you felt the need to 'protect' yourself against future unwanted patches (even if it's just a timing issue so you can finish a game without the new patch ruining it) then this is what I'd suggest.

It seems that on my other machine I have a 1.04c install. I don't use it much for games and haven't logged onto steam so it hasn't updated. Sorry.

Steam does what it does and does it well... most of the time. With that said, you should never be forced to play a version of a game you purchased against your will. The option needs to be there. Just as so many other options need to be there with Steam. Developers need to start fighting for the customer when it comes to retailers like this, but most feel like it's some kind of "us vs them" mentality where we're seen as the enemy for paying their salary. The industry is literally being flipped on it's head where common sense is simply thrown out the window.

That's my rant.

Steam does what it does and does it well... most of the time. With that said, you should never be forced to play a version of a game you purchased against your will. The option needs to be there. Just as so many other options need to be there with Steam. Developers need to start fighting for the customer when it comes to retailers like this, but most feel like it's some kind of "us vs them" mentality where we're seen as the enemy for paying their salary. The industry is literally being flipped on it's head where common sense is simply thrown out the window.

That's my rant.

Having been involved in game development myself (not as a programmer) I don't know of many developers who would want their customers playing older versions of their games.

The worst thing is how Steam readjusts the settings to make the game patch itself. I turned it off for a reason!

Having been involved in game development myself (not as a programmer) I don't know of many developers who would want their customers playing older versions of their games.

That's really not their option. If you sell someone a cheeseburger you have no right to run out 5 minutes later and slap a tomato on it while they're eating it because you think it tastes better. This industry really has become something of it's own - meaning that in no other industry could a company get away with what these people do on a daily basis. The funny part is, 9 times out of 10 if any of these issues ever reach the court level, the developers almost always lose. Terms of service agreements don't really hold up too well in court... and that's probably for the best considering they can put anything they want in them and you're forced to accept it after you already purchased the game and opened it (no returns especially in the "digital age").

Last edited:
Would you prefer devs not patching a game at all?

No. I have no problem with the burger man coming out and asking me if I want a tomato on my burger. Patch the game all you want. I just want the option. And as a paying customer that has already purchased a product I think I am entitled to that option.

You guys do know it's PI's fault why the patch was shoddy, and not Steams, right?

You guys are unbelievable. Reminds me of theists thanking god for all the good stuff, but all the bad crap has to be the work of the devil (steam).

Of all the nitpickey bullshit to get mad about, a patch?! Really?

And that option you mentioned is ridiculous. No one wants to go through their potentially hundreds of games and check them for updates on an individual basis. You may, but most of us have more than 3 games. Just get it right the first time, PI. Or don't. No one ever died of their games patch needing a fix.

Last edited:
You guys do know it's PI's fault why the patch was shoddy, and not Steams, right?

You guys are unbelievable. Reminds me of theists thanking god for all the good stuff, but all the bad crap has to be the work of the devil (steam).

Of all the nitpickey bullshit to get mad about, a patch?! Really?

I'm personally not mad over the patch. I just think that paying customers have rights and should have an option when it comes to the product they purchased. On the issue though PI made the patch and Steam forced it on their customers. Both are in the wrong.

It wasn't only the poor testing of the patch but also PI's caving in on a lot of issues to some of the more vocal members of the forums on numerous things like how the game was broken because it wasn't historic enough. (note that THEY determine what is historic and what isn't of course)