• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Elephant armour is clearly the best armour:

compositeelephant.jpg

Attachments

• compositeelephant.jpg
    compositeelephant.jpg
    336,8 KB · Views: 16
But was it actually effective? It looks cool but I doubt it would stop a bullet..

It did not protect against war pigs and flaming camels... But it is still awesome :cool: . It dates from the 1600s (and is currently on display in the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds).

Last edited:
But was it actually effective? It looks cool but I doubt it would stop a bullet..

Bullets, no, but generally it takes a fair bit to outright kill and elephant, and most cavalry forces of the time and place used composite bows. Powerful things but reliably countered with plated mail.

IIRC the Brittish Longbow could not penetrate the heavy armour but was able to break the bones beneath alone through the kinetical impact.
There was one Battle report from a battle against heavy french Cavalry and the Brittons had only some Cav but quite some Longbowman.
The French werent able to close in with enough man..

Also I remeber some old stories about asian armour that were capable of holding off bows while using weaved in armour with silk clothing..

The nowaday kevlar vest are great. That guy must be really trained if thatwas a real shot from that short distance.
Great advertise for his business..
Even in WWI personal armor was used to some extend by some special units. But also not with great effect..
I would like to see the new vest and a dummy shot buy a modern sniper rifle..

For the elephant and overall, back in the 19th century the std rifles had still ~12mm rounds..
So that would give also a great punch back then, and for killing an Elephant(animal of similar size).
But well, you need to be a good marksman too..

Cheers,
Chromos