• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my test game, a crusade successfully created the Kingdom of Jerusalem (de jure byzantium). Jerusalem then conquered Egypt in another catholic crusade.

Egypt is now De Jure Byzantine because catholic KoJerusalem is a constituent part of that Empire.

Edit:

Despite having the wealth and piety to do so the HREmperor's AI does NOT appear to be creating Kingdoms, which is sort of a relief. If I switch to him, then I can create kingdoms fine though.

This means that the Empires are likely to shrink alot more than expand in most games because a AI-run Empire may stay entirely imperial (no sub-kingdoms), and thus unable to assimilate anything.

Having manually created Germany to test, Germany isn't assimilating other HRE kingdoms though... havent completely figured out that part yet

I assume you refer to the de facto area of Egypt, and not the De Jure kingdom of Egypt, when you say that its now part of Byzantium.

Of course, if I'm wrong, yahoo!

I assume you refer to the de facto area of Egypt, and not the De Jure kingdom of Egypt, when you say that its now part of Byzantium.

Of course, if I'm wrong, yahoo!

What I was saying is that Egypt is de-facto part of the catholic Kingdom of Jerusalem AND that Egypt has assimilated to be part of the de jure (royal) Kingdom of Jerusalem, but that as a consequence of that it is automatically part of the Empire of Byzantium on the de jure (Imperial) map because everything thats De Jure part of Jerusalem will always be De Jure part of Byzantium as Jerusalem is a constituent part of the Byzantine Empire, like Croatia or Armenia.

this looks good, thanks devs!

Observation: As a consequence of Vexin being part of the duchy of normandy and being French-owned, Normandy never assimilates into England unless it can press its claim to Vexin.

AH! I just understood.

Duchies never assimilate to empires, only to kingdoms. Kingdoms dont assimilate to Empires. Empires are composed of their constituent Kingdoms, and if an empire's kingdoms (as defined in landed titles, never changes) gains or lose territories, then the Empire's borders fluctuate.

So to expand Imperial De Jure borders, you have to expand its constituent kingdoms through de jure assimilation.

Edit:

That would expand the empire, yes. :)
Are you... sure? Anyways, we should absolutely find a way to mod this, I want the Byzantine empire and the HRE to include new de jure kingdoms, to recreate say the Justinian's empire or the Carolingian empire. This should make sense historically and won't generally affect gameplay, as I've never seen the imperial AI get additional kingdoms outside its de jure borders (with the exception of Byzantium and Georgia, which still would make sense historically).

Observation: As a consequence of Vexin being part of the duchy of normandy and being French-owned, Normandy never assimilates into England unless it can press its claim to Vexin.
Good to know

What I was saying is that Egypt is de-facto part of the catholic Kingdom of Jerusalem AND that Egypt has assimilated to be part of the de jure (royal) Kingdom of Jerusalem, but that as a consequence of that it is automatically part of the Empire of Byzantium on the de jure (Imperial) map because everything thats De Jure part of Jerusalem will always be De Jure part of Byzantium as Jerusalem is a constituent part of the Byzantine Empire, like Croatia or Armenia.

What I was asking is that, if the kingdom of Egypt and Jersusalem were split afterwards, would the Kingdom of Egypt now be part of the Empire, after it regains its de jure territory?

Are you... sure? Anyways, we should absolutely find a way to mod this, I want the Byzantine empire and the HRE to include new de jure kingdoms, to recreate say the Justinian's empire or the Carolingian empire. This should make sense historically and won't generally affect gameplay, as I've never seen the imperial AI get additional kingdoms outside its de jure borders (with the exception of Byzantium and Georgia, which still would make sense historically).

Im not 100% sure of anything, these are observations based on a single test game, but Im pretty sure.

I doubt this will be moddable. The way to recreate De Jure Carolinian empire would likely involve having the Kingdoms of Germany or Burgundy assimilate the French duchies... as the French crown cannot be made part of the Empire De Jure.

OMG first you give Piedmont to Savoie and then make it a part of Burguny and NOW you've given Bavaria Eastern Italy. At least you can take that area back for Italy with a slow transition but Italy's Western Borders will never look right. ARGH ;) Also, Pope still only King tier. The Holy Father is displeased.

What I was asking is that, if the kingdom of Egypt and Jersusalem were split afterwards, would the Kingdom of Egypt now be part of the Empire, after it regains its de jure territory?

From my observations so far, No. The imperial dejure borders fluctuate instantly as the de jure borders of its constituent empires shift. If Egypt was to become say, De Jure Italian, it would stop being Byzantine the second its no longer Jerusalemite.

Im not 100% sure of anything, these are observations based on a single test game, but Im pretty sure.

I doubt this will be moddable. The way to recreate De Jure Carolinian empire would likely involve having the Kingdoms of Germany or Burgundy assimilate the French duchies... as the French crown cannot be made part of the Empire De Jure.
And I think that would suck. At least we could mod the kingdom of France to be de jure part of the HRE. Still... it sucks.

Eerrr, is is just me, or has scrolling using the mouse wheel ceased functioning on the "characters" list and the "select a spouse" list? It works fine on other lists (like military or religion), but on the most frequently used lists of all, those dealing with finding characters and marriage, it just doesn't seem to work for me any longer with 1.05. Anybody else experiencing this?

Unfortunate observation so far: it seems the last duchy of each de jure kingdom doesn't assimilate, although Im not 100% sure yet.

I expected kingdoms be able to be assimilated in totality if you assimilated all their duchies, hopefully with the former kingdom becoming Titular at that point but... I have a 1-duchy Aquitaine that stubbornly refuses to become French even though France holds all of whats left...

Unfortunate observation so far: it seems the last duchy of each de jure kingdom doesn't assimilate, although Im not 100% sure yet.

I expected kingdoms be able to be assimilated in totality if you assimilated all their duchies, hopefully with the former kingdom becoming Titular at that point but... I have a 1-duchy Aquitaine that stubbornly refuses to become French even though France holds all of whats left...
I kind of expected this and, in the historical time frame of the game, it's not too bad as Aquitaine remained in English hands until the very end. Maybe in my personal mod I'll take some de jure kingdoms out, Paradox this time has probably added too many of them.

Eerrr, is is just me, or has scrolling using the mouse wheel ceased functioning on the "characters" list and the "select a spouse" list? It works fine on other lists (like military or religion), but on the most frequently used lists of all, those dealing with finding characters and marriage, it just doesn't seem to work for me any longer with 1.05. Anybody else experiencing this?

This is a known issue, Paradox will make a hotfix within the next couple of days.

I kind of expected this and, in the historical time frame of the game, it's not too bad as Aquitaine remained in English hands until the very end. Maybe in my personal mod I'll take some de jure kingdoms out, Paradox this time has probably added too many of them.

Its going to make the map fugly tho. And the 'last duchy of Aquitaine' thats not assimilating is actually Toulouse :p (Yes, it owns Viviers)