• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this AAR in the AAR showcase and I spent the last 4 days reading through all the sixty-odd pages! Now I have to do all the Christmas shopping in one day, but it was such a great fun, baboons, tej, secret societies and all, that it was totally worth it :happy:
Thank you, Philo32b!

Just read through this entire thread in one very slow day at work. Great story - and very inspirational for a CKII noob like me!

I was away from this AAR for too long. :(

Incredible comeback Philo, and a wonderful story to boot! :)

what do i do now?
start over?... oh, wait. it's almost morning. maybe sleeping would be better...
awesome AAR anyway and a nice ending. drop a note about it here if you finish the novel, i love reading those:)

I stopped reading when there were 20 posts or so. I've got some catching up to do!

Brilliant AAR! I read it over the course of a few months, starting it when it was already finished, but I just now reached its end. It was simply captivating, yet I rationed my reading because I knew it would eventually end...

Hi Philo32b,

I just wanted to say that I nominated your AAR for the WritAAR of the Week Award! Congratulations! :) Enjoy your week of celebrations - your work surely deserves some time in the spotlight!

Hi Philo32b,

I just wanted to say that I nominated your AAR for the WritAAR of the Week Award! Congratulations! :) Enjoy your week of celebrations - your work surely deserves some time in the spotlight!

Oops! Sorry, CzokletMuss, I neglected to thank you in this thread (although I did post in the WritAAR of the Week thread after your nomination). I appreciate your recognition. And thank you, too, to all the posters this first half of 2014. I enjoy seeing that people still dip into this long yarn from time to time.

May you never surprise the baboons!

Maaaaan, that ending! I felt really sad when Dyonisia was going to die that way (fortunately (or not) she didn't). A long and great AAR. Great, funny, and epic in the end. I don't know what to say. Thanks, I enjoyed the reading very much. Once I was laughing in class because I was reading the Tesfaye the First's chapters, I almost get caught, hahahaha.

I liked all parts of this AAR, understanding that every character was different and, so, their luck. Maybe the comedy let space to revenge and triumph, but it was Zagwe's destiny to rule from Gondar. The baboons rejoice: their ultimate victims are back.

A shame that its ended, and that I discovered so late (In fact, I discovered Paradox Games the last november, so... xD). Good luck with your new projects. I don't regret the long reading of 70 pages. It totally worth it!

PS: I liked very much that ending but, in fact, I would have prefered that Dyonisia should have died in the throne after that vision with Gyla, watching and touching the walls that hold her ancersters in past times. Her last seconds of life watching her dreams come true. A true victory for the Zagwe.

I know I'm late to the ups and downs of the Zagwe dynasty but I had to post. Absolutely hilarious and fabulously written AAR Philo. You kept me entertained at the hospital while waiting for my wife to give birth to our daughter. You truly deserve all the accolades the other members of this forum and Paradox have given you. Thank you for a wonderful story.

Thanks, Leandor and MarcusT!--I appreciate your kind words. It's pleasing to me that people are still reading the AAR.

And congratuations to you, MarcusT, for your new baby girl!

Reactions:
I had intended my first post on this site to be for 'Crumbling Europe' AAR that's in progress that I was reading but.. my lord this deserved it just as much! Truly an epic of epic proportions... and a great deal of hilarity (and Tej... this made me want to try tej)

I shall have to keep an eye out for the Zagwe Dynasty in my future games to see how they fair. I tend to do that for AARs I like - the Angelos from Crumbling Europe, for instance, I once saw brought to power by their founder, the second Doge of Salerno, who promptly died and left a newborn daughter as the only Angelos living. At least the alternate Zagwe can take comfort from the fact that they can't fail *that* badly.

I should start taking screenshots of my games, maybe do an AAR. The most interesting thing I've done yet is mend the Great Schism as Basileus Basileous I Makedon in the game I'm playing atm. Certainly I need to try out Abyssinia!

I had intended my first post on this site to be for 'Crumbling Europe' AAR that's in progress that I was reading but.. my lord this deserved it just as much! Truly an epic of epic proportions... and a great deal of hilarity (and Tej... this made me want to try tej)
Actually, it was "In the Shadow of Certain Painful Doom" which made me buy CK2 and later start writing my own AAR and to this day it's my favorite CK2 AAR.

The circle is now complete! ;)

Last edited:
The_Fylkir -- Thank you for the honor of your first post. I also like to see how alternate worlds' treat dynasties that I have carefully followed before.

Rozmarzony -- There certainly is something to that. Even within this AAR it seemed that the most popular portion was with Tesfaye who had virtually nothing going right. The narrative was forced to turn inward and focus on noticing and building up the smallest details (of which CK2 provides abundant amounts).

CzokletMuss -- I remember your mentioning this before, and it still pleases me very much to have played some small part in your taking up the mantle yourself and going on to such success with it. Thank you!

I'd never guess that I'd be able to read a 70 page long topic until the end, nor that such a long read could be so pleasant. I know I'm the thousandth (?) person to say this, but congratulations for keeping this going for so long. Your writing style is particularly amazing.

Now I wonder whether I'm missing another genuine jewel written by the same author. That said, it'd be nice if you were to announce later projects and things like that on this thread (your fantasy fiction included), so to make it easier for your followers to keep updated. =P

Thank you, Rapierlord and aekakiac. I very much appreciate your posts. I have been working on a long project off and on, but real life (and my own lack of complete self-discipline) has dragged this thing way longer than I would ever have originally guessed. I'm thinking within the next ten months I might have it completed. It is a traditional novel, though, not an AAR. I occasionally think about doing another AAR, but I don't have any plans right now to start one... although I did start "In the Shadow" one afternoon on a whim because I had nothing better to do that day and look what happened. :) So who knows?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.