• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad end for that old witch - in other news, is the new heir yet another old lady?

Yes, the new heir is yet another old, childless lady. I'm not sure what is happening with the Byzantine Empire these days.

AFAIK, the Duchy of Mesopotamia has ceased to be, no?

Yes, you are right. I had assumed someone else had taken it, but it just ceased to be when the then-doux' last county was taken.

You lost the chance to grab one duchy but you've managed to keep one in the family for future inheritance so I reckon you've come out even. I've either forgotten or it wasn't mentioned but what is the succession law of the Byzantine Empire?

Yes, staying in place with regard to number of duchies and counties is at least not going backwards.

The succession law of the Byzantine Empire is Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind.

Well, it could have been worse, you could have lost to Mesopotamia. I guess the baboons were in your favor.

The spirit of the baboons was with us. They want things to go well in Byzantium so that the Zagwes stay there and don't return to Sennar.

I do think about how many more people you would have killed if you weren't so nice. It isn't a pretty picture.

I never did the kind trait very well, I'm afraid. :)

So how does that have consequences for you ? The sidelines are great, but I'm lost. :unsure: :D
What is the current situation of Dionysia again ?

I've included a dynasty snapshot in this post, so I'm hopeful that will help a bit. Basically the consequences of the Duchy of Mesopotamia failure is simply that we will not add that duchy to our dynasty. The victory to keep Duchess Eugenia of Cyprus in power was important to avoid losing one of two duchies that will otherwise pass to our future main character, who as things stand looks to inherit three duchies.

Good update and a very well-done side-story. I am eager to read what comes next.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Does Eukokia's ascent mean that the direct bloodline of The Drunkard no longer sits the Byzantine throne?

That could spell disaster...or great success.

Oops! I missed something here. Eudokia is actually Ioanna's aunt (just as Maria was). That would probably have been mentioned in their dialogue.

In any case, no--a daughter of The Drunkard (Eudokia) is on the throne.

My, oh my I have quite a bit of catching up to do on this thread. I'm at page 12/51 but the story here is so good I just can't deny myself more. By the way props on your excellent humor Mr. Philo. I liked this AAR so much I had to make an account here and start my own! (yeah that will make it much easier to catch up!)

Thank you! I very much appreciate it! And good luck with your own AAR. It is a way to immerse yourself even more deeply in an already richly immersive game.

Wow, this is still going strong! Congrats man!

From a few pages ago, typical Zagwe mistake - "After all that the real tragedy is that I not only lost my page in my book, but I can't even remember which book I had been reading. Oh well, I guess the book could not have been so interesting to worry about. "Whats the betting that the book you were reading is utterly important? Shit, I think at this rate, Zafwe's 'lost book' count is running worringly high! And thats on top of mysteries like the Goat Herder Order and whatever strange occurance is happening between Gyla and Eugonia.

Man, I also feel kinda sad Gyla and the other murder-happy guy, Euphemios never hooked up :(

Also, what of the Patriarch's overt friendliness? Did that...ahem...go anywhere?

Hell, you seem too worried about the Mongols showing up. Just swear fealty to them! Nothing can go wrong!...r-right?
It almost feels as if your character, she is a chess piece being moved by a million hands. Good luck!

Muahaha! Some things are not done yet! ;)

Hi folks, my trip has resulted in my being late on some things I had to do this weekend. So I apologize for this happening the second week in a row, but I will need to aim for this Wednesday for my next update.

One of the things I will include in that update is the requested snapshot of the current Zagwe dynasty. We might also learn why the mysterious Eugenia Spartanos has been stuck in her quarters of late.

Thanks for your patience!

I just wanted to pop in and say that your AAR is probably the main reason I got around to trying one myself. Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I wish you the best in your own AAR. They are fun!

During the past few days I have read through your huge AAR. Not even being hit by a bad case of migraine yesterday could stop me from reading. It's a fantastic read! I especially like the way how events for Zagwes in the past become myths and legends for characters later on.

I've never been much of a CK player myself. I tried CK I back when it was released but wasn't hooked. It felt so chaotic to keep track of all these counts, dukes, and whatnots instead of just minding your country as in the other Paradox games. But your AAR shows the fun with the basic concept of CK, so perhaps I'll give it another try.

Keep up the good work and consider me subscribed!

Thanks Commandante! I very much appreciate your post. You are right about CK2 being chaotic, but it is wonderfully chaotic in my view. I am pleased that my AAR has prompted you to try it again. Good luck!

The Dying and the Dead

Chapter 91

Characters
  • Apollonios of Saint Symeon – The now dead last of the conspirators that successfully plotted to murder Duchess Dionysia’s beloved father. Apollonios fled Dionysia's court to save his life, and his career subsequently took off until his humiliation at the hands of Princess Gyla. He died of grief.
  • Arsenios Komnenos – Son of Duchess Dionysia Zagwe. He would have inherited her duchy on her death but for her changing of succession laws. He seems remarkably at peace with the change, however, and is his mother’s spymaster.
  • Bartholomaios of Suenik, Count – Duchess Dionysia’s only count vassal. He has always been smitten by his liege. A second-rate steward, he is kept on the job to keep him happy, the only one of her subjects who could in all reality rebel.
  • Basileios Komnenos, Doux – Shy husband of Duchess Dionysia. His sad attempts to learn to duel put his own life and anyone nearby in peril. Inheriting his own duchy, he no longer needed to spend his nights in Duchess Dionysia’s spare library. He hates his wife for her twisting succession law of Armenia and moving the inheritance of the Duchy of Armenia from their children—not of the Zagwe line—to that of Dionysia’s half-brother Neophytos, a Zagwe.
  • Dionysia Zagwe, Duchess – Daughter of the last Count Tesfaye (who was assassinated in his carriage in a plot that was started by his wife).
  • Eudokia, Basilissa – Inherited the Byzantine throne after the death of Empress Maria Doukas by natural causes. Eudokia then allowed Duchess Ioanna “the Great” Doukas to die of starvation in prison to put an end to the raging civil war.
  • Eugenia of Cyprus, Duchess – Wife by regular marriage of Duchess Dionysia’s half-brother Neophytos Zagwe. On her death Duchess Dionysia’s two duchies will pass to her children, heirs in the Zagwe line.
  • Eugenia Spartanos – Duchess Dionysia’s half-sister from Count Tesfaye’s adultery. She is obsessed with tales of Africa. She disappeared from Duchess Dionysia’s castle when it was under siege by rebels against Basilissa Ioanna. When she returned she was very mysterious and condescending. She claims she has special powers revealed by a Secret Coptic Order in Sennar. She has lately been ill.
  • Ganet Zagwe, “Aunt” – Strange woman who was responsible for several deaths before purportedly dying in an explosion in her quarters. (The body found in her quarters was burned beyond recognition, but of her general height and body type. Anyway, Ganet was never seen again, so it was probably her.)
  • Gyla, Princess – Swedish widow of Spymaster Innokentios, she is the unofficial marshal of Armenia and the official badass. She has become very reclusive to her quarters of late. Perhaps she is mourning the death-by-explosive-flames of her husband.
  • Ioanna “the Great”, Duchess – Daughter of The Impaler, granddaughter of The Drunkard, and great-granddaughter of The Lame—truly a line of great nobility. Reduced from Basilissa to Duchess at the conclusion of civil war. Died of starvation in a subsequent civil war when Basilissa Eudokia boarded up the prison tower.
  • Innokentios Branas – Former spymaster for Duchess Dionysia, he was never really very good at his job, but survived in that role for some time by virtue of his not being on Dionysia's death list of revenge targets for her father’s murder. Married to the Swedish princess, Gyla. Died in some kind of flames or explosion in his and Princess Gyla’s quarters.
  • Maria Doukas, Empress – Aunt of Basilissa Ioanna, her father died when she was very young while he enjoyed the hospitality of Basilissa Ioanna's grandfather in his prison. This did not endear the family relations with each other very well ever since. She reined as Basilissa for a short time, her rule marked by civil war and aggressive factions against her.
  • Neophytos Zagwe, Duke – Half-brother to Duchess Dionysia Zagwe and heir (by elective succession law) to the Duchy of Armenia upon Dionysia’s death.

Well, now… that’s embarrassing.

My Chancellor had succeeded in securing a claim against the County of Mesopotamia as a backup target if the Duchy of Mesopotamia resisted my designs of conquest on it. Which they did. But it turns out that I should not have been wasting time reading books about exotic African creatures. Instead I should have been reading current Imperial laws. For I now learn that I cannot attack the county of Mesopotamia, because the Count is neither my liege nor a vassal of my liege.

In my defense, the book that I was reading—when I should have been reviewing Byzantine laws—was extremely fascinating. It was about “sciapods,” a tribe of one-legged men in Africa somewhere who have only one leg that ends in a single large foot. The foot is so large that they use it propped up to provide shade from the hot sun. Perhaps one day I myself will advance knowledge in the world by writing a book such as this illuminating one.

Have these people nothing better to do?

The factions are brewing again. The Despot of Syria is forever taking part in these seditious plots and conspiracies, who knows why. He doesn’t even benefit from the latest faction he started to change the Imperial succession laws to Primogeniture—he is nowhere near the first heir to inherit the Byzantine Empire.

With all his vassals and his own holdings, the Despot of Syria constitutes 18% of the soldiers of the Byzantine Empire. When he joins a faction, then, it is an enormous swing of power: 18% in favor of the faction, and 18% less for the Empire. If this new Basilissa knew what she were doing, she would strive to curtail this despot’s power.

When we are at peace, we are still second in the world in power. We would be approximately equal to the Holy Roman Empire if we could avoid these constant civil wars, as we are tied in realm size to the barbarous empire in the West.

Being betrothed to marry his 10-year-old first cousin might not be what Arsenios had in mind. He will learn to adjust. We do all have to make little sacrifices for the Dynasty.

My relations with my son Arsenios Komnenos have improved dramatically. He wants to get married. I decide to have my niece Antipatra Zagwe marry my son in a matriomonial marriage. This will keep his future duchy from my husband in my dynasty. Unfortunately my son will have to wait six years as the girl is 10.

I suppose this will make my husband hate me even more, as it will deprive his Dynasty of another duchy.

My husband’s duchy is comprised of two counties on the south shore of the Black Sea, and it is conveniently located near my Duchy of Armenia. Alliances to doux by marriage are fine enough (when they honor them), but our dynasty needs permanent alliances to really grow in power and influence.

This will work. I don’t know why I even try, though, as my sister’s husband has managed to lose his Duchy of Galilee. My brother-in-law Count Georgios is all too happy to betroth his daughter in a way that will inherit her children a duchy.

Sorry Sibylla, a better marshal is a better marshal. I fire my sister’s husband and hire this courtier I have never heard from before.

Duchess Eugenia of Cyprus, the wife of my half-brother/heir, Neophytos. They are recovering from the latest war with Count David. Eugenia and Neophytos are dutifully having children, and despite needing occasional clandestine help from me to neutralize rivals, they are doing well.

I am sitting in my husband’s bedroom, which has been converted in his absence to an overflow library… Oh, yes—it was actually converted into a library will he was still living here. I’m thinking that a cataloging system would be nice so that I could find particular books if I want to reference them. There are several different systems that I have heard about that I consider in turn. In the end, I resolve to find a book on cataloging systems to be comprehensive about it. A servant suddenly arrives at the door and informs me that my half-sister Eugenia Spartanos is dying and requests to see me.

I hurry towards her bedchamber. Dying? She was in excellent health the last time I had seen her, when she and Princess Gyla had their strange altercation. I had heard subsequently that she had been sick, but never guessed that her health was so far gone.

When I arrive at her quarters the physician from the city has recently admitted defeat and is just finishing removing the leeches. The emaciated, pale figure in the bed is almost unrecognizable as Eugenia, so drastic the change. She hacks and coughs, and her teeth are chattering though the room is not cold.

“My Liege,” she whispers as a coughing spell momentarily releases her.

I sit down and lean forward. “What are your symptoms?” I ask. I may want to read a treatise on illnesses someday, and this presents a chance to see with my own eyes the results of this illness.

“On my desk… a pouch.” She shakily points to a small leather pouch.

I fetch it for her. Probably some Monophysite relic she wants to die with. Harmless, I suppose. “Shall I open it?”

She lapses into another coughing spell. Finally she gasps, “Empty it into your hand.”

Curious. I follow her instructions and find what looks like dried broken leaves and flower petals in the palm of my hand.

“Now drop a pinch… into the fire.” She points to the candle on the table. I can only imagine what Ecumenical Patriarch Sergios would say if I go along with a heretical last rites, but she is my sister. With my free hand I take a pinch and drop it into the flame. A strange, not unpleasant smell fills the room along with a thin purple smoke. The smoke seems to exacerbate Eugenia’s coughing, but she still looks satisfied, despite the feverish glow to her eyes.

“Princes s Gyla…” She cannot continue due to the coughing. She tries again, “Gyla… she…”

A realization occurs to me. “Oh, you want to make amends with her before… well, you want to make peace with her.” This must be it for Eugenia is quite agitated now. “I will get her right away.”

I rush to Princess Gyla’s quarters. Just before knocking I hesitate for I hear laughing inside. Who is in there with Princess Gyla? Then I knock loudly on the door. The door opens and I am surprised to see a man standing before me. Then I recognize who it is.

“Mayor Euphemios, I need to see Princess Gyla right away. Where is she?”

He studies me stoically and then silently motions me to wait before retreating back into the dark room. It is only then that I remember that Mayor Euphemios died some time ago.

Princess Gyla appears at the door. “How is it possible that Mayor Euphemios is in there?” I say. “He is dead!”

She looks confused. “Euphemios? In here? I’m sorry, my liege, I know nothing about this. You look a bit pale. Are you unwell?”

Perhaps my half-sister’s imminent death is affecting me. I shake my head and try to focus on why I came. “Eugenia Spartanos is dying, and I believe she wants to make amends with you before she passes away.”

Princess Gyla looks thoughtful for a moment. “I doubt it. In any case it’s too late, she is dead.” Then I hear it too, the priest’s bell announcing another soul departing this world.

Huzzah! The Zagwe's return! :laugh:

I (almost) hate to say it, but I am wondering if the time is coming when it would be more useful for Dionysia to pop clogs before (the Zagwes being the Zagwes) something catastrophic happens and this multiple duchy inheritance scheme blows up in her face.

Well... it is all starting to make sense. The Drunkard outdid himself it seems. The reason Byzantium is seeing endless civil war is because he or his successor must have decided seniority (or open elective) was a kick-ass form of succession. That or I missed a civil war somewhere that enforced that brainless law. I fear that the Zagwe clan is due another million civil wars, assassinations of leaders, and other strife for as long as the succession law is not closed elective or primogeniture. She'd be best to hitch her horse to a strong primo faction to try to force your old biddy. childless, mostly mad Basilisa to change her succession laws. She will not attempt to change it herself as her whole line is about extinct and childless and thus everyone's successor is without a close heir. I expect the Zagwe family is about to see a flair-up from a minor branch of the Doukas family as soon as the current generation dies off. Cue Syrian Independence League. Dionysa'd be smart to see about establishing a kingdom title 'for she keels over and the Empire comes off ol' biddy life support. Either that or plot to put your dynasty on the throne. That'd be a treat.
For some reason, Byzantium tends towards craziness within the first two hundred years of the game as if they want to make themselves as open to sacking by the Ilkhanate as possible. Can't wait to see what sort of byzantine (small b) machinations are in-store to deny the Zagwe's yet another claim to glory.

Cool, the Zagwe's dynasty tree! Thanks for posting it Philo32b, everything is much clearer now.

I've finally caught up! It's been an excellent read.

And it makes me a little ashamed of giving up so easily on my first AAR.

Such suspense!

Also nice to get an overview of your dynasty. How would you deem your heir's chances to actually inherit the lands in Cyprus as well? Eugenia's hold of Cyprus seems a bit shaky...

Just finished this; and it's marvelous. I kinda miss Sennar though. If these civil wars eventually stop flowing, get to liberating!

Nice dynasty catch up, it's a bit easier to see a way to glory for you. Still gonna be bloody difficult for you. Zagwe's as emperors would be just reward for sticking with it this far.

Also what's all that purple smoke about, I am intrigued :)

Hi folks, I apologize for the long delay in posting. I am staying at what must be the only hotel in Florida that does not have internet access, and I don’t want to use my smartphone because it warns me that roaming data service could cost $20 a MB moved.

I have only a very brief time to upload this post, so I will postpone responding to peoples’ posts until I return home mid-week this week. After this I don’t expect to travel again for some time, so my schedule should return to normal.

Thanks for your patience!

The Last Moral Spymaster in Byzantium

Chapter 92

Characters
  • Alexandra of Singidounon, Countess – Full-blooded sister of Duchess Dionysia. Alexandra is married matrilineal to Count Georgios Doukas, who had been Doux of Galilee before his vassal rebelled to put one of Georgios’ landless brothers into the ducal title.
  • Apollonios of Saint Symeon – The now dead last of the conspirators that successfully plotted to murder Duchess Dionysia’s beloved father. Apollonios fled Dionysia's court to save his life, and his career subsequently took off until his humiliation at the hands of Princess Gyla. He died of grief.
  • Arsenios Komnenos – Son of Duchess Dionysia Zagwe. He would have inherited her duchy on her death but for her changing of succession laws. He seems remarkably at peace with the change, however, and is his mother’s spymaster. He is betrothed to matrilineal marry the 10-year-old niece of Duchess Dionysia, Antipatra Zagwe, which would funnel his father’s duchy eventually to the Zagwe dynasty.
  • Bartholomaios of Suenik, Count – Duchess Dionysia’s only count vassal. He has always been smitten by his liege. A second-rate steward, he is kept on the job to keep him happy, the only one of her subjects who could in all reality rebel.
  • Basileios Komnenos, Doux – Shy husband of Duchess Dionysia. His sad attempts to learn to duel put his own life and anyone nearby in peril. Inheriting his own duchy, he no longer needed to spend his nights in Duchess Dionysia’s spare library. He hates his wife for her twisting succession law of Armenia and moving the inheritance of the Duchy of Armenia from their children—not of the Zagwe line—to that of Dionysia’s half-brother Neophytos, a Zagwe.
  • Dionysia Zagwe, Duchess – Daughter of the last Count Tesfaye (who was assassinated in his carriage in a plot that was started by his wife). Our current main character.
  • Eudokia, Basilissa – Inherited the Byzantine throne after the death of Empress Maria Doukas by natural causes. Eudokia then allowed Duchess Ioanna “the Great” Doukas to die of starvation in prison to put an end to the raging civil war.
  • Eugenia of Cyprus, Duchess – Wife by regular marriage of Duchess Dionysia’s half-brother Neophytos Zagwe. On her death Duchess Dionysia’s two duchies will pass to her children, heirs in the Zagwe line.
  • Eugenia Spartanos – Duchess Dionysia’s half-sister from Count Tesfaye’s adultery. She died of pneumonia after some strange dying rites. She was obsessed with tales of Africa. She disappeared from Duchess Dionysia’s castle when it was under siege by rebels against Basilissa Ioanna. When she returned she was very mysterious and condescending. She claimed she had special powers revealed by a Secret Coptic Order in Sennar, but apparently they were not strong enough to not die from illness.
  • Euphemios, Mayor – Mild-mannered city administrator during peace, but during war against the infidels he was transformed into a bloodthirsty general who did not hesitate to push his men into slaughter if it would result in a greater loss for the infidels. He died of natural causes, but then was apparently seen by Duchess Dionysia in Princess Gyla’s quarters, which must have been a mistake because that is absurd.
  • Ganet Zagwe, “Aunt” – Strange woman who was responsible for several deaths before purportedly dying in an explosion in her quarters. (The body found in her quarters was burned beyond recognition, but of her general height and body type. Anyway, Ganet was never seen again, so it was probably her.)
  • Gyla, Princess – Swedish widow of Spymaster Innokentios, she had been the unofficial marshal of Armenia and the official badass before becoming very reclusive to her quarters. Perhaps she is mourning the death-by-explosive-flames of her husband.
  • Ioanna “the Great”, Duchess – Daughter of The Impaler, granddaughter of The Drunkard, and great-granddaughter of The Lame—truly a line of great nobility. Reduced from Basilissa to Duchess at the conclusion of civil war. Died of starvation in a subsequent civil war when Basilissa Eudokia boarded up the prison tower.
  • Innokentios Branas – Former spymaster for Duchess Dionysia, he was never really very good at his job, but survived in that role for some time by virtue of his not being on Dionysia's death list of revenge targets for her father’s murder. Married to the Swedish princess, Gyla. Died in some kind of flames or explosion in his and Princess Gyla’s quarters.
  • Maria Doukas, Empress – Aunt of Basilissa Ioanna, her father died when she was very young while he enjoyed the hospitality of Basilissa Ioanna's grandfather in his prison. This did not endear the family relations with each other very well ever since. She reined as Basilissa for a short time, her rule marked by civil war and aggressive factions against her.
  • Neophytos Zagwe, Duke – Half-brother to Duchess Dionysia Zagwe and heir (by elective succession law) to the Duchy of Armenia upon Dionysia’s death.

Last chapter: “The Dying and the Dead”​

Makarios Phokas, still seething from being fired as marshal, petitions to be made steward. He has no talent for administration whatsoever. Sadly, this still outweighs the gifts of Count Bartholomaios of Suenik. But the Count can revolt and Makarios cannot, so Bartholomaios will stay my steward. Besides, he is old and surely will die soon anyway.

My brother-in-law Georgios Doukas, husband of my sister Alexandria, is now merely the Count of Singidounon County, wedged in the far northwestern corner between barbarian tribes. He held the much more noble title of Doux of Galilee until his landless, cruel, and envious brother Ioannes with his envious and deceitful wife Sophia found a way to wrest the duchy from him.

My spymaster uncovers the whole sordid story. Georgios ruled the duchy with a fair hand. Sure he was arbitrary, deceitful, and sloth; but he was also humble and temperate. And of course he is a scholar, which should shelf any further rumors against him of incompetence. And yes, the now-deceased Basilissa Maria did feel the need to strip the duchy away from Georgios for a month when certain malcontents in the major cities and towns revolted, threatening the Basilissa’s supply of Imperial soldiers from the duchy. But she did give it back as soon as things had smoothed over.

So clearly there was no justification for what happened only a couple years later. Ioannes was living in Georgios’ court, enjoying his hospitality, while at the same time perfidiously plotting with Georgios’ vassal Count Adam of Tiberias. Ioannes had a close relationship with Adam for he had been his mentor during Adam’s tutelage and they were both zealots. Once he had persuaded Adam to go to war on his behalf they had in effect won the war—out of Galilee Duchy’s three counties, Count Adam holds two: Tiberius and Beirut. Georgios’ troops were outnumbered two-to-one with him holding only Tyrus, his other far flung county too distant to help. Count Adam quickly crushed Georgios’ army, successful advancing Ioannes’s claim on the duchy. In gratitude, Ioannes appointed Adam as marshal, a useful post both in keeping his vassal happy and in using his vassal’s strong martial gifts.

But Doux Ioannes has one chink in his armor. He has no children. If he dies, Count Georgios would inherit the duchy. This would place the duchy back in line for the Zagwe Dynasty, for when Georgios dies, his eldest son of a matrilineal marriage is a Zagwe.

The Zagwes have had no luck advancing their holding through force of arms. But we have had fair success at advancing through less reputable methods. I send notice to my spymaster son Arsenios to search for conspirators in the Duchy of Galilee to assassinate Doux Ioannes. This will be my son’s first assassination attempt. He has five years to wait for his marriage, so this will at least help to pass the time.

A spymaster that has strong moral sentiments? Sharaf Sharafid even dislikes his liege and is still unwilling to help. Even after we send him a bribe he does not budge from his refusal to participate.

I send word to Arsenios to report the odds of a professional assassination attempt against the Doux of Galilee, Georgios. I can afford the cost, but the low chance of success and high chance of my name getting out are not worth the risk.

We then look into the feasibility of assassinating Ioannes’s spymaster, in hopes that a less morally upright one would take his place. Unfortunately, while this would cost one-fifth the cost of murdering the Doux, the chances of success and unwanted discovery of the attempt are still bad.

Striving to make the spymaster like us well enough to help murder his liege we do him the honor of tutoring one of the children of my duchy. Not one of mine, of course, but a courtier’s son named Apollonios of Saint Symeon. This child had managed to reach the age of 12 without yet being graced with the attention of a tutor. Perhaps he will learn some intrigue and ethical insights. Unfortunately even this gesture does not induce the man to help us.

Well, at least it wasn’t his conscience that troubled his sleep.

My silly son had forgotten to set up a spy network in the same county as Sharaf, who is on assignment himself as spymaster in a distant county. As soon as Arsenios does this, the chances of success and discovery become much better. It looks as though little Apollonios will not be getting the moral edification he could have expected after all from his new tutor. The last morally upright spymaster in Byzantium dies.

And yet somehow he manages to be an almost passable spymaster.

I almost feel sorry for Doux Ioannes. He has to replace Sharaf with Hakam Montfortid, an inbred, sloth, and depressed courtier.

After a small gift, the amoral Hakam is all too happy to murder his liege whom he only barely dislikes. The world makes sense again.

Even Doux Ioannes’s wife Sophia is willing to murder her husband after she receives a small gift of 20 gold. Certainly she is amoral, but there must be more to this story than we have discovered.

A few potential plotters remain, but most of them would be difficult to persuade and would not add much more to our conspiracy. Even though we are a bit short, I think we are going to need to wait and hope this is enough.

Suddenly we receive notice from Constantinople that the imperial levies are to be called up. War is again upon us. Fortunately it is not another civil war this time. Wisely, the Basilissa declares holy war on the infidels. Nothing like a holy war to bring an empire together in a brotherhood of gentle and peaceable relations.

Last edited:
Two things you might want to edit in your last post:
- the correct term is matrilineal marriage, not matrimonial (which is the act or state of being married) marriage ;) ;
- the name of the duke of Galilee as shown in your screenshots appears to be Ioannes, not Ioanna (unless "he" is a woman impersonating a man :p ).

Apart from this, great story as usual, looking forward to the next entry in the Zagwe saga!

Erm, just noticed that Basilissa Eudokia declared Holy War for Galilee. Was it conquered while you were gathering plotters to kill its duke, or is Ioannes duke of Galilee just in name without having actual control over that dukedom / its namesake county?

The plot thickens... in more ways than one. I love this AAR—keep up the beyond awesome work!

Status
Not open for further replies.