• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Miaphysites are back and a half-sister that studied in Sennar, great things to come. :)

Last edited:
Pictures are showing up fine for me.

A heretic, high intrigue half sister with a claim... though not to a title you control... showing up in your room in a dramatic fashion. And she hates your guts. What could possibly go wrong? And what news does she bear from the Order of Monophysite Goatherders or whatever they were called?

Maria has 22 diplomacy - she would be a fine ruler...though I bet she will die before the war is over...anyway, none of my rulers survived that long (except probably one).

The current Basilissa is Doukas as well?

I assume that your marriage is matrilineal and your children will inherit both Duchies, won't they?

And finally: Is Eugenia a descendant of the House of Spartenos which starts the game ruling in southern Italy?

I assume that your marriage is matrilineal and your children will inherit both Duchies, won't they?

No, an important plot point is that the current Duchess is married normally (and despite numerous urgings from readers, she never divorced after her father died and she became the player character.) Current dynastic (and ducal, since she did switch to Feudal Elective succession) is her half-brother.

No, an important plot point is that the current Duchess is married normally (and despite numerous urgings from readers, she never divorced after her father died and she became the player character.) Current dynastic (and ducal, since she did switch to Feudal Elective succession) is her half-brother.

Oh yes, I totally forgot! Shame on me :/. I guess I totally dropped out of this AAR.

Great update. But don't you think that putting your divested heir in charge of your extralegal affairs might be a little dangerous? He may like you, but who knows what ill-feelings he may harbor against you designated successor. If he ever wanted to get rid of this fleshy bump on the road to inheritance, he just earned the perfect position to do it.

I suggest either marrying him matrilineally into your dynasty as soon as possible or finding a nice, cold spot in the Urals to serve as his exile.

Of course, I'm taking into consideration that he is a real person and not a computer algorithm, but I'm just crazy.

Great update. But don't you think that putting your divested heir in charge of your extralegal affairs might be a little dangerous? He may like you, but who knows what ill-feelings he may harbor against you designated successor. If he ever wanted to get rid of this fleshy bump on the road to inheritance, he just earned the perfect position to do it.

I suggest either marrying him matrilineally into your dynasty as soon as possible or finding a nice, cold spot in the Urals to serve as his exile.

Of course, I'm taking into consideration that he is a real person and not a computer algorithm, but I'm just crazy.

Matrilineal marriage of a male successor does NOT remove their inheritance. If you try to use this with Gavelkind, that will become readily apparent.

This also means he can become nominated successor of your lands via elective monarchy, while being the vassal to another lord and his children of another dynasty.

Permanent divesting of his claims is possible by two means: Make him a bishop or kill him dead.

Matrilineal marriage of a male successor does NOT remove their inheritance. If you try to use this with Gavelkind, that will become readily apparent.

This also means he can become nominated successor of your lands via elective monarchy, while being the vassal to another lord and his children of another dynasty.

Permanent divesting of his claims is possible by two means: Make him a bishop or kill him dead.
True. The matrilineal marriage would be only to ensure that his sons will be of your dynasty, so when he becomes a problem and therefore in need to be 'removed', his heir will still be useful. And while it is theoretically possible for an exile to be elected, that does not happen often (at least, it never happened in my games—my vassals always preferred to indicate themselves instead of my own family members, close or otherwise, during a succession crisis) and once he gains some land outside your realm, he becomes unelectable.

Since the Duchess is the only one who matters, at the moment, in the electing business, ensuring that the right man seizes the throne is easy. What is not easy is producing a new heir when your dynasty is in its last ropes and your Spymaster is going berserk on everyone appointed as a successor. Of course, that would require the AI to understand the system of elections and act on it to maximize its success, which I do not know if it is possible yet. In any case, better be safe than sorry, that is why I would keep an eye on him! ;)

True. The matrilineal marriage would be only to ensure that his sons will be of your dynasty

Oh, yeah, I get what you mean. But is there a Zagwe available far enough away on the family tree for it not to be inbreeding? The half-sister just showed up, but she's like.......the kid's aunt. I don't think there are any living Zagwe branches that have gotten far enough away.

Stumbled upon this epic AAR and was compelled to read the whole thing over the past few hours. By now I've noticed you get this all the time, but it bears repeating anyway: This thing is bloody legendary. A positively splendid read!

Ho, I should have voted, had know it was that tied... Congratulation, Philo, you totally deserve it!

nice update, but the pics seem broken.

I've noticed they sometimes take a couple seconds longer to load, I'm not sure why. Or maybe my picture hosting site was down when you visited?

The Miaphysites are back and a half-sister that studied in Sennar, great things to come. :)

You can never really leave Sennar even if you... leave Sennar.

Pictures are showing up fine for me.

A heretic, high intrigue half sister with a claim... though not to a title you control... showing up in your room in a dramatic fashion. And she hates your guts. What could possibly go wrong? And what news does she bear from the Order of Monophysite Goatherders or whatever they were called?

Cryptic news. And news of a new tax.

Maria has 22 diplomacy - she would be a fine ruler...though I bet she will die before the war is over...anyway, none of my rulers survived that long (except probably one).

The current Basilissa is Doukas as well?

And finally: Is Eugenia a descendant of the House of Spartenos which starts the game ruling in southern Italy?

Yes the Basilissa is a Doukas (the niece of Maria Doukas).
Nope, regular marriage. Those children will inherit nothing from Dionysia.
Eugenia from House of Spartenos? I'm not sure. I'll have to trace that--I know that her mother came to Sennar trailing behind some deluded Greek noble who thought Count Tesfaye (the first one) would press his claim, but I'm not sure where the line started before that.

Yep.

Oh yes, I totally forgot! Shame on me :/. I guess I totally dropped out of this AAR.

:) At this point the tale is long and sprawling (75,000 words worth of sprawling, to be exact) so it's hard for me to remember details like that. Fortunately I can quick search in my Word document.

That was, to be sure, an ominous ending.

Yes, lighting flashing and everything.

Yes, that is a good point. I will have to take steps to make him not murderous. Innokentios was almost worthless, but he was happy and content, so safe.

Yes, given the Elective Monarchy he should be happier.

True. The matrilineal marriage would be only to ensure that his sons will be of your dynasty, so when he becomes a problem and therefore in need to be 'removed', his heir will still be useful. And while it is theoretically possible for an exile to be elected, that does not happen often (at least, it never happened in my games—my vassals always preferred to indicate themselves instead of my own family members, close or otherwise, during a succession crisis) and once he gains some land outside your realm, he becomes unelectable.

Since the Duchess is the only one who matters, at the moment, in the electing business, ensuring that the right man seizes the throne is easy. What is not easy is producing a new heir when your dynasty is in its last ropes and your Spymaster is going berserk on everyone appointed as a successor. Of course, that would require the AI to understand the system of elections and act on it to maximize its success, which I do not know if it is possible yet. In any case, better be safe than sorry, that is why I would keep an eye on him! ;)

I am glad that you mention this because I have been totally *not* keeping an eye on him. I will take steps.

Oh, yeah, I get what you mean. But is there a Zagwe available far enough away on the family tree for it not to be inbreeding? The half-sister just showed up, but she's like.......the kid's aunt. I don't think there are any living Zagwe branches that have gotten far enough away.

Yes, even though the Zagwe dynastic tree is undergoing an unprecedented flourishing, it would be first-cousins badness anywhere along the Zagwe branches at this point.

Stumbled upon this epic AAR and was compelled to read the whole thing over the past few hours. By now I've noticed you get this all the time, but it bears repeating anyway: This thing is bloody legendary. A positively splendid read!

Thank you so much! I am glad you like it!

Congratulations!

Huh?

what was this about?

OMG, I should stop living under a rock. Thanks, Athalcor! I don't know how I missed this one.

Congratulations

Thank you!

Ho, I should have voted, had know it was that tied... Congratulation, Philo, you totally deserve it!

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Regarding this installment, I apologize that it is a bit light. This weekend was, after all, Super Bowl Weekend, with all the necessary obligations and observances involved. :)

The Unraveling of an Empire

Chapter 87

Characters
  • Apollonios of Saint Symeon – The last of the still living conspirators that successfully plotted to murder Duchess Dionysia’s beloved father. Apollonios fled Dionysia's court to save his life, and his career subsequently took off until his humiliation at the hands of Princess Gyla.
  • Count Bartholomaios of Suenik – Duchess Dionysia’s only count vassal. He has always been smitten by his liege. A second-rate steward, he is kept on the job to keep him happy, the only one of her subjects who could in all reality rebel.
  • Basileios Komnenos – Shy husband of Duchess Dionysia. His sad attempts to learn to duel put his own life and anyone nearby in peril.
  • Duchess Dionysia – Daughter of Count Tesfaye (the one that was assassinated in his carriage in a plot that was started by his wife).
  • Eugenia Spartanos – Duchess Dionysia’s half-sister from Count Tesfaye’s adultery. She is obsessed with tales of Africa. She disappeared from Duchess Dionysia’s castle when it was under siege by rebels against Basilissa Ioanna.
  • Princess Gyla – Swedish wife of Spymaster Innokentios, she is the unofficial marshal of Armenia and the official badass.
  • Basilissa Ioanna “the Great” – Daughter of The Impaler, granddaughter of The Drunkard, and great-granddaughter of The Lame. Truly a line of great nobility.
  • Innokentios Branas - Former spymaster for Duchess Dionysia, he was never really very good at his job, but survived in that role for some time by virtue of his not being on Dionysia's death list of revenge targets. Married to the Swedish princess, Gyla.
  • Maria Doukas - Aunt of Basilissa Ioanna, her father died when she was very young while he enjoyed the hospitality of Basilissa Ioanna's grandfather in his prison. This did not endear the family relations with each other very well ever since.

Eugenia Spartanos, my half-sister from my father’s affair, is an elusive shadow… and a Monophysite. She reminds the council how she was obsessed with tales and legends of Africa back when we were being sieged by the rebel count’s forces. Then one night she was visited in the night by a hooded woman who invited her to Sennar, an invitation she gladly accepted, frightened as she was by this unexpected apparition. Despite the vast distance from Armenia to Ethiopia she claims that they rode all night by horseback and by the first light of dawn they had arrived at dusty Sennar. The woman took her to a secret tunnel which led to an underground village of some sort, where a cabal dedicated to protecting the Monophysite line of Abyssinian Kings and Queens taught her in many secret arts. Finally she was ready to return to my court, and they whisked her back as quickly as when she left.

When she had finished her story there was a stunned silence in the council. Nobody knew what we should say to such a lunatic. Finally the Marshal coughed and asked why she would betray their existence if it was such a big secret.

Eugenia smiled an unfriendly smile. “Because it amuses me to dangle such an important truth in your face knowing you will not believe it,” she says.

Hey Sennar, what do you think now of your new rulers and their Jizya Tax?

Eugenia tells us that the Sennarians are being oppressed by the infidels. They beg for my triumphant return to liberate them. Everyone, that is, except for the goat herders. At the mention of the Zagwe name they simply spit into the sand and grumble something under their breath. Actually, she mentions that the people of the towns are still not fond of me either.

Can I still join the rebellion?

Unfortunately I have not the luxury of considering to help prodigal Sennar. The empire is coming to pieces all around. And there is a worrying concentration of forces to the southwest. Where is the Imperial Army to help me?

Maybe we’d better cancel that holiday to Constantinople.

OK, I see. There are no Imperial Armies. And Constantinople is burning. Wonderful.

The mighty have fallen! Bailissa Ioanna has been deposed and replaced by Bailissa Maria, who promptly imprisons Ioanna. At least Basilissa Maria likes me.

Chance for children: Slim. Very slim.

Next in line for the Byzantine throne is Princess Eudokia. Childless, 52, gay, and ill, it doesn’t look as though she will produce an heir herself. Next in line for the throne?...

Duchess Ioanna! That would be ugly if she got back on the throne. At least she still likes me.

Former spymaster Innokentios dies a natural death. His wife, Princess Gyla, does not seem too grief stricken. In fact I rarely see her anymore, she is always shut up in her quarters. What is she up to?

Do we really want to go there again? Haven’t we had enough civil war? I have a bad feeling about this. Unfortunately that feeling appears well founded for soon doux and counts begin flocking to this banner.

May Sennar bring ruin to the Fatimids.

Status
Not open for further replies.