• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could copy your saves somewhere safe, then completely delete the Steam folder and the Paradox Interactive folder in My Documents, then see if Steam will re-install.

This, except I would uninstall each Steam game manually via the Control Panel to ensure proper uninstall, then delete everything clean and try to install Steam again. But then again, you could always wait to try this until after you get some more AAR material. :D :D :D :D :D

Still working on my technical issues, but I wanted to take a moment to respond to all the great feedback that people have been posting. Thanks again, everyone, for reading and posting. I very much appreciate it.

Do realise that doing it this way makes it universal. Everyone in the world will be suddenly drawing on ladies if they're good enough(Or even if they're not).

Hmm, yes that would be a big change...

Ideally, you'd need a small mod where you would have a decision to allow women to be council members, but assign an AI chance of taking this decision to zero, so they never do so.

Personally, I would avoid it, though - this has been an excellent tale so far, and it would be really bad if modding gone wrong were to end it before its time.

Thank you for the really cool story - really enjoying it!

Thanks, Maksim17. I'm glad you like the story! And I'm leaning towards your view of keeping the status quo. Since the narrative tends to do what it wants anyway, that helps me lean that way.

I'm with them. Modding save files can end up being pretty tricky.

I really don't know anything about modding, which doesn't help matters.

Modding the save file wouldn't make a difference, what needs to be modded (preferably in a small mod) would be (at a minimum) the common/job_titles.txt file (plus events/job_marshal.txt to let females get the marshal-specific events, if desired) to eliminate gender bias. Neither would affect a savegame.

Yes, that makes sense. Given the other implications, though, with all the other women getting involved, too, when they haven't for the first hundred years of the game, I think I am still leaning to keep the status quo.

hahaha, 'gender bias' in an AAR about medieval times. XD

Next we'll be talking about habeas corpus and all other kinds of craziness. :)

Great ideas, Philo32b, I'm so glad that you still are able to deliver new episodes of Zagwe's stroy on such a high level of storytelling :)

By the way, have you heard the news?

Better late then never, but still, imagine how story of Lioness fathers could have developed with this option avaible..

Thanks! Wow, that is big news. I had not heard. This is very interesting indeed. Perhaps the great Zagwe line can aspire to truly return home one day. (I feel naked without mercenaries nearby.)

The same way, he would have just been broke when it happened.

:)

It could be one of those dirt cheap ones like in ck2 plus or work like the Mamluks or Varangian Guard

The Varangian Guard are indeed a steal. Too bad you have to be Basileus to use them.

It would not have mattered. The curse of the Zagwes cannot be overcome with any weapon, or any amount of gold! :p

Yes, this is probably true. What are a few mercenary bands compared with the might of the Zagwe curse, after all?

Philo, you've written a marvelous and incredibly entertaining AAR. Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you! I very much appreciate it!

Well, SOME mercenaries are better then no mercenaries at all. Take a look:
6CFA108B3DEC411E82C855BA3DCB379ADD696E68

Hmm. Maybe the Zagwes will have to conquer all of Egypt before moving back down to Abyssinia... Hey!--I can dream, can't I?

Those are pretty terrible, actually. Still, it would make the early years much more survivable if you had an extra 5000 meatshield goatherders.

True. And if the meatshield goatherders brought the goats with them, they might be able to absorb even more damage for the cause.

Reading this fantastic AAR over the past few days has only increased my desire to get CK2, in addition to my suddenly wanting to take part in Byzantine intrigues as a ruler in the Byzantine Empire. Keep up the good work!

Wonderful! Give in to your desire to get CK2, your very soul will thank you! (It will also become a bit tarnished, but it is still totally worth it.)

If Revo didn't uninstall the CK2 folder inside Steam (the usual Steam path is C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Crusader Kings II/), then CK2game.exe will start the launcher, and CK2.exe will start the game without being able to choose mods/DLCs.

I just started reading this AAR since your last entry and now have a vested interest your computer troubles. :D. If you can't boot up CKII via the CK2.exe in your /Steam/Steamapps/common/Crusader Kings II/, meaning your CKII files are basically a paperweight until you get Steam running, my roommate suggests trying to uninstall all your Steam games. He got his degree in networking and works tech support (but not for Steam) so take that advice for what you will. And if you do uninstall CKII I would drop a copy of my save folder on the desktop (just in case)

He also suggested to check and see if you have a System Restore checkpoint that takes you back before your Steam got put through the paper shredder, but I'm assuming you already did that.

This will work, I always play this way without Steam running at all (I created a custom shortcut to CK2game.exe on my desktop).

You could copy your saves somewhere safe, then completely delete the Steam folder and the Paradox Interactive folder in My Documents, then see if Steam will re-install.

This, except I would uninstall each Steam game manually via the Control Panel to ensure proper uninstall, then delete everything clean and try to install Steam again. But then again, you could always wait to try this until after you get some more AAR material. :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks, richvh, Daelix, and DarkPhoenix. I will try to get this going again here within the next couple of days. I think there are some big things afoot in our story, and I am eager to get back in there and sort them out.

Good luck on fixing things!

Thanks, richvh, Daelix, and DarkPhoenix. I will try to get this going again here within the next couple of days. I think there are some big things afoot in our story, and I am eager to get back in there and sort them out.

You're more than welcome. Wonderful and refreshingly "tongue-in-cheek"-style story so far, I can't wait to see how it plays out in the end! Also, maybe one day I will muster enough energy and courage to start an AAR of my own - which will be heavily influenced by the Crovans' and Zagwes' style... ;)

But they do exist!
997a59f1f8063ebdabce0a87286c0a1187685ac59ceba23a0937ffcb24bdc7aa6g.jpg

Following my scholarly pursuits I managed to procure a book that shows many amazing animals I had never heard of before, such as a one-horned “unicorn” and a man that turns into a wolf at night called a “lycanthrope.” The one that I shared with my council was the “sciapod,” which was a tribe of one-legged men, purportedly in Ethiopean lands, who had a single large foot that they used to provide shade from the hot African sun. My whole council roared with laughter; the normally serious Bishop Haeran even fell out of his chair. Silly Europeans, everyone knows there is no such creature here—they are further south, across the arid wasteland where it is much more hot.

Is it Sunday yet? <twitch, twitch> Been reading this thread for a while and every time I catch back up again I want more! Just thought I'd share that thought. Had a chance to catch up in the chronicles of the Zagwe family's Series of Unfortunate Events over Christmas break and have been forlorn since. Keep up the great work and stop letting the Sennarian Baboons be your IT support. They are trying to prevent the Zagwe family from reclaiming their destiny.. not of course that they will be at all happy once they get there! Best of luck to the ill-stared ones from Abyssinia!

I was following this AAR eagerly some time back, and got absorbed in it.

Unfortunately, real life and depression got in the way. It was heartening to come back and see this thread still up. I have some catching up to do!

Hi folks. Good news--things are now fixed and working as expected. Thank you for your advice!

Good luck on fixing things!

Thanks!

You're more than welcome. Wonderful and refreshingly "tongue-in-cheek"-style story so far, I can't wait to see how it plays out in the end! Also, maybe one day I will muster enough energy and courage to start an AAR of my own - which will be heavily influenced by the Crovans' and Zagwes' style... ;)

Thank you! And the Crovan story is what started me out. I remember fondly reading that great AAR.

Now I'm confused. I thought we were only dealing with goats, baboons, surly peasants, and Byzantines. When did we get bigfoots involved? If they're Sennarian bigfoots, I want nothing to do with them.

There are all kinds of crazy in Sennar.

But they do exist!

LOL, that is funny. You remembered! :)

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fortunately, as the esteemed Duchess clarified, they're not Sennarian bigfoots, which would be utterly disastrous, utterly lethal, and utterly irreconcilable all at once.

Yes, they would have to be, to survive the baboons!

Is it Sunday yet? <twitch, twitch> Been reading this thread for a while and every time I catch back up again I want more! Just thought I'd share that thought. Had a chance to catch up in the chronicles of the Zagwe family's Series of Unfortunate Events over Christmas break and have been forlorn since. Keep up the great work and stop letting the Sennarian Baboons be your IT support. They are trying to prevent the Zagwe family from reclaiming their destiny.. not of course that they will be at all happy once they get there! Best of luck to the ill-stared ones from Abyssinia!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it. And yes, it is always a bad idea to use Sennarian Baboons as IT support. I will stop.

I was following this AAR eagerly some time back, and got absorbed in it.

Unfortunately, real life and depression got in the way. It was heartening to come back and see this thread still up. I have some catching up to do!

Thanks, Hyena Dandy. I'm glad you like it. I hope you are doing better. Best wishes!

The next day I ask Princess Gyla about the book from Captain Etrek. He had promised to deliver it the very next time we employed his mercenary company. Surely in their year-long romp of carnage—at my expense—they had found the time to return the book?

She denied that he had, and in her denial I saw instantly that Princess Gyla was lying. Deception is not part of who she is. I didn’t challenge her, but decided to wait and see why she would feel compelled to lie about something as petty as this. Why would she lie?

Princess Gyla’s Story
Chapter 85

Princess Gyla never knew her father. The Duke Albrikt became king when she was one year old and died of illness when she was two. He left behind a wife, a mystic mistress, and four children between them, of which Gyla was the second youngest.

In the elective succession of Sweden, Princess Bothid managed to cobble enough counts and dukes together to become queen. Like Gyla, she was of the House of Stenkil. She was the last Stenkil to hold the crown.

The Stenkils and Stenhrykas had continually fought politically over the crown, passing it back and forth between them as the children’s leather ball during their ubiquitous outdoor games. Until Bothid’s reign, however, it had never come to outright violence. That was to change.

Princess Bothid held the crown for four years until Duke Sigbjorn led a revolt of nobles from the House of Stenkyrka. They felt that King Albrikt had unjustly convinced the electors to grant him the title after their last queen had died of illness. There were also rumors that the Duke had stooped to bribes and blackmail to cajole nobles to the point where they would fight for him. Taken by surprise by the wellspring of force against her, Bothid was forced to abdicate to Duke Sigbjorn. Princess Gyla was eleven.

Any guesses on where he got that scar?

Bothid transfered Gyla’s tutelage to Baron Dan of Othem, marshal to the crown of Sweden and master warrior. He was a just but firm teacher. At first he disapproved of tutoring Gyla, but he quickly found her to be an apt and capable pupil in the arts of war. More capable than he guessed. One day he tried to push her with taunts and he went too far. She erupted in a barrage of blows against her tutor, and the nearby men-at-arms could not spring forward quickly enough to pull her off of the Baron, leaving him severely wounded. He eventually healed, leaving a deep scar on his face. He wore it with stoicism and never blamed Gyla, however. “I should accept what happens when I pull a tiger by the tail,” he would tell people. In fact, to some he almost seemed proud of the scar.

Twelve years passed with King Sigbjorn ruling, continually stripping power from the Stenkil dynasty whenever possible. During this time Princess Gyla’s brothers and mother lived under the protection of Princess Bothid, but their means were meager despite their exalted status. When Gyla’s official studies ceased at 16, Princess Bothid strove to find a mate for Gyla, but she lost hope as all potential suitor families were frightened off once they observed her frequent sparing or fist fights with the knights. The knights took to her as a sort of mascot and continued her education with all manner of weapons and tools of war. She remained eager to learn.

Yes, this is not going to end well.

Aside from her comrades the knights and men-at-arms, Princess Gyla’s only friend was her brother Erik, one year her junior. The shy Erik was educated as a cleric, and quickly learned the religious and scholarly teachings, but from Gyla he learned almost everything she knew about fighting and war. The two of them began setting out with Bothid’s knights to put down bandits and brigades, initially to the condescension of the men-at-arms, but they soon developed into reliable components of these forces, and even eventually into their strongest warriors. The siblings earned the respect of all the warriors of the duchy as well as the nickname, “The Sword and Mace,” as the elder sister favored the slash of a sword and the younger brother the blunt smash of the mace. The men-at-arms knew that if the fighting turned against them, they could rely on the Sword and Mace to stand back-to-back as a wall the rest could rally behind.

Princess Bothid the Wise bided her time to attempt to take back the crown. Finally she found her chance as King Sigbjorn was hard pressed in a war with the Danes. As the unifying figure for the other disenfranchised Stenkil nobles, Bothid rebelled and her men quickly began to take the upper hand against King Sigbjorn, who was now fighting a war with two fronts. But Sigbjorn was not a fool, and he quickly sued for peace with the Danes, even though the peace cost him more than he would have preferred to pay. Now he could focus his full might against Princess Bothid’s forces, and he quickly turned the tide against her.

Princess Gyla and Prince Erik fought bravely for their liege, Princess Bothid. They knew that losing to Sigbjorn would doubtless end with Bothid imprisoned and her duchy stripped from her, which would break the back of Stenkil power. Still, the king’s men pushed Bothid’s back, and they would have crushed the last of her defenses had not Gyla and Erik fought their way in the final battle to the very housecarls defending King Sigbjorn himself.

These were the toughest warriors that the pair had yet faced, and yet they cut and smashed their way through them handily, the siblings fighting as one warrior with four constantly whirling arms. They were almost surprised when suddenly they were alone standing next to the king, who had been knocked to the ground, his blade held up in desperation to stop these angels of death.

Princess Gyla moved forward, her sword upraised for the final stroke.

“Wait, sister,” Prince Erik called. After she lowered her sword he addressed the king. “Yield today and live. You will abdicate the throne to our liege, Princess Bothid, who will treat you with more justice and compassion than you have shown our house. It is more than you deserve, but it is right. What say you?”

King Sigbjorn coughed and began rising, his sword still held but lowered, and he began to speak.

How the king would have chosen will never be known for at that moment Princess Gyla struck him a mighty blow in the helmet with her sword, killing him instantly.

With Sigbjorn’s death Princess Bothid’s war against him ended and the crown passed to his ten-year old daughter, the cynical, slothful, and greedy Malmfrid. Mayor Algot of Visby, her regent, was not nearly as slothful, however, and the mayor immediately sent a large force of warriors to arrest the killer of the old king. Not being a warrior himself, the mayor did not understand Princess Gyla’s role in killing the king, so he instructed his men to apprehend only Erik.

When the force surprised the siblings returning from a hunt, the two took shelter in the stables. They knew they had only a few moments before the men would break through and be upon them. They had no armor and only some bush thrashing clubs, and there were a lot of men. It did not look good.

“They want only me,” said Erik.

Princess Gyla laughed. “Ironic, isn’t it? Oh well, we either die fighting or we manage to fight our way out of here. I’d put my money on the latter. We’ll go live as brigands, taking from the Stenkyrka whatever we want and living like royalty in the forest.”

“Sister, there are too many. We cannot fight our way out.”

“Then we die here and take as many as possible with us,” snapped Gyla. “Do you think we will otherwise live forever? Come, let us not waste any more time.”

A strange look was in Erik’s eyes as he looked at his sister. “Forgive me, my sister, my courage is but the moon to your sun.” And that was the last she saw of Erik, as he struck her in the head with his fist and she blacked out. When she woke Malmfrid’s soldiers and Erik were gone.

Bothid knew in this new political climate she had not a hope of convincing the nobles to open another war, and so she ignored Gyla’s pleas to try to rescue Erik. It was only a matter of time before even the moronic Mayor of Visby would realize his mistake, and so as long as Gyla remined in Sweden, retaliations were very likely. Suddenly it was urgent that Princess Bothid remove Gyla from Sweden, as far away as possible. So when she received a message from a duchess across the world requesting a marriage to Gyla, Bothid felt it was God’s providence. What place could be more distant, more inaccessible than Armenia? She agreed to the marriage on the condition that Gyla was never to be allowed to return to Sweden. The Byzantines were all too happy to agree. Things would all work out extremely well, thought Princess Bothid the Wise. For once things would work themselves out.

To Princess Gyla, however, things had not turned out so well. She was now married to a lazy old spymaster whose highest abilities were associating with eating sweet rolls and gambling. Even powerless in a country as far away as Byzantium, she plotted how she might return to Sweden and rescue her brother. Then one day, two years after her exile from Sweden, she learned that her brother Erik had died in Malmfrid’s dungeons. She was never to lay eyes on her beloved shield-brother again. Her plans changed. Now she was out for revenge.

Last edited:
Glad you got things fixed! Also...ohh revenge...those tend to get very messy with this group I have noticed.

Nifty uppdate! And a nifty AAR!

Man Philo, I'm so so so incredibly behind!!! Just think Philo in 3 more months you will have hit your 1 year anniversary on this AAR :)

Other than that I need to figure out where in the hell I left off in this saga you've created :p

Ahhh the background story of the cursing swedish sword wielding fury. :wub:

Just caught up. Excellent as usual.

Glad you got things fixed! Also...ohh revenge...those tend to get very messy with this group I have noticed.

Yes, revenge in this group is a reoccurring theme among the dynasty members and their friends.

Nifty uppdate! And a nifty AAR!

Thank you! :)

Yay, it is back :).

Yes, it's back. Thanks!

Man Philo, I'm so so so incredibly behind!!! Just think Philo in 3 more months you will have hit your 1 year anniversary on this AAR :)

Other than that I need to figure out where in the hell I left off in this saga you've created :p

It is crazy to think that it will be a year in three months.

Ahhh the background story of the cursing swedish sword wielding fury. :wub:

I like to do background stories every once in a while, and Princess Gyla seemed a good character to focus on.

Glad to see you got your technical issues sorted out mate, a return to form and an interesting side story. Fantastic!

Thank you! :)

Just caught up. Excellent as usual.

Thanks, Machiavellian. I'm glad you like it!

Last edited:
A Revenge Complete and a Lost Sister Found

Chapter 86

Characters
  • Apollonios of Saint Symeon – The last of the still living conspirators that successfully plotted to murder Duchess Dionysia’s beloved father. Apollonios fled Dionysia's court to save his life, and his career subsequently took off until his humiliation at the hands of Princess Gyla.
  • Count Bartholomaios of Suenik – Duchess Dionysia’s only count vassal. He has always been smitten by his liege. A second-rate steward, he is kept on the job to keep him happy, the only one of her subjects who could in all reality rebel.
  • Basileios Komnenos – Shy husband of Duchess Dionysia. His sad attempts to learn to duel put his own life and anyone nearby in peril.
  • Duchess Dionysia – Daughter of Count Tesfaye (the one that was assassinated in his carriage in a plot that was started by his wife).
  • Eugenia Spartanos – Duchess Dionysia’s half-sister from Count Tesfaye’s adultery. She is obsessed with tales of Africa. She disappeared from Duchess Dionysia’s castle when it was under siege by rebels against Basilissa Ioanna.
  • Princess Gyla – Swedish wife of Spymaster Innokentios, she is the unofficial marshal of Armenia and the official badass.
  • Basilissa Ioanna “the Great” – Daughter of The Impaler, granddaughter of The Drunkard, and great-granddaughter of The Lame. Truly a line of great nobility.

It is true. Watching clowns makes you better at deception.

A troubadour and his wife visit. At first I am horrified to notice that the troubadour’s wife systematically pickpockets my subjects while they are watching the act, but I decide to turn it into a learning moment and pick up a few techniques on the art of doing bad things to people without them knowing it. Very informative. This is something that is hard to learn in books.

Watching all the people buying and selling the wares I am suddenly struck with a feeling that this is all just a cheap game and none of this junk they are selling really matters.

Still angry over the whole divest-your-children-of-my-duchy thing?

I thought something was missing or different. Apparently my husband Basileios’ father died and my husband inherited the duchy. Some time ago, without my knowing, he moved a couple of counties to the west to Amisos to take command as Doux. The shy man stayed in his room all the time he was here, so it was easy to miss the fact that he had left. This is actually good news—now I can put more books into his bedroom.

It turns out that he is one of the rebels fighting Basilissa Ioanna. With his fighting skills I hope he is not let near the front line. Given how much he hates me I wonder if he will take out his marital anger on me by invading. For his sake I hope not. Princess Gyla will not show him any mercy.

My revenge has been thwarted! Apollonios of Saint Symeon has died of old age, in his bed, surrounded by his adoring family… actually, I am told that his wife and his son—his only child—stayed in my court when Apollonios fled. They had been staying out of my sight as much as possible out of fear of maltreatment. So Apollonios—friendless, without the comforts of family, failed spymaster of a blind and bitter liege—died alone and unnoticed in his cold, hard bed. Actually, I think the public humiliation at the hands of Princess Gyla has more to do with his decline and final death than “old age,” so I will consider this part of my revenge. He is the last plotter, and so I have done my duty at last. To be honest, I had been so captivated by my reading lately that I had completely forgotten about my revenge, but sometimes these things work themselves out for the best.

This is the downside to having allies. Anastasios Basiliakos starts a chummy little faction whose demand is that Basileus Ioanna abdicate the Imperial throne to Maria Doukas, her aunt. Basilissa Ioanna probably has some idea of what would be in store for her if that happened: Maria’s father died when she was a small child—he died in Ioanna’s grandfather’s prison. Those are some serious skeletons in the family closet.

Maria is 75 years old and without any children, which would make her a total disaster as a ruler of the Byzantine Empire. Anastasios has put me in an awkward spot. I hate to turn my back on allies—whose help I may need down the road—but this little venture is on the wrong side of crazy. I refuse.

Even thoroughly annoyed at my handling of his troops, Count Bartholomaios is still smitten by me.

Several of my vassals are starting to get annoyed that I have kept their levies raised for as long as I have (or rather, as long as Princess Gyla has). I will start sending some of them home, starting with Count Bartholomaios of Suenik, who is one of the few vassals who could potentially rebel.

My son Arsenios Komnenos has come of age and wants to be spymaster. He is by far more qualified than the current slow, slothful, and gluttonous Innokentios, whose only saving grace is that he absolutely loves me. I hope Princess Gyla doesn’t mind that I will fire her husband, but my safety from assassination is more important than keeping her husband out of her hair. Somehow my son ended up a Monophysite, but I no longer care about things like that as much.

Things are not going well for Basilissa Ioanna. It looks like we will be having some changes soon.

Honest, humble, diligent, and Monophysite. She also hates her liege with a passion.

One evening while my councilors and I debated about what to do in the civil war, a heavy storm was brewing outside. While thunder got closer and closer, we argued about whether to keep our forces raised and ready, which angered our vassals further, or whether to send them home and possibly be caught unaware by another of the many rebel forces. Then a peal of thunder went off that seemed to rock the very castle walls, and at that moment we felt a strong, cold draft and the torches all went out. It was a touchy moment—one never knows when something strange could be an assassination attempt—but quickly a servant had rushed into the room with a brace of new lit torches. Only now we were all startled to see that we had a visitor: Eugenia Spartanos, my half-sister from my father’s affair, was standing before us, dressed in strange black furs. The last I had seen of the girl was when my castle was being sieged by that idiot count from the North. Eugenia had disappeared as suddenly as she has just reappeared.

“Child,” I gasp, “Where have you been?”

She is no longer a child now, and there is something very capable and—perhaps—even dangerous about her now. She is also now quite given to theatrics. I can see thinly-veiled malice in her eyes as she turns her gaze to me.

“I have been continuing my studies,” she says, pausing dramatically. “In Sennar.”

Status
Not open for further replies.