• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Warspite_TW. Ahh, that would clarify why he doesn't get the regal numbers. Thanks!

@ myLAAN. Yes, we thought it was tragic to see an incompetent ruler in Sennar, but the real tragedy is a competent one chained in this dusty prison! :)

@ Creideki & Gedierond. Thank you!

@ Despaxas & Ultramarine. I am excited that my AAR has inspired you to purchase the game. The game takes a little time to learn and begin to catch the hang of it, but it will reward your efforts many, many times over. I would heartily recommend registering the game so you can access the FAQ sub-forum and Meneth's indispensable guide. Some of the things he covers may have changed a bit with the patches, but the fundamentals are all right there. There are several beginner-oriented threads out there; here are two, for example: here and here. I would NOT recommend starting as Abyssinia, though, until you have a handle of the ropes. A lot of people like to get to know the game from an Irish count or duke. I liked starting as Poland when I was getting to know it. In any case, good luck!

@ richvh, Rfish12, & jaearess. Some good insights into Tesfaye III's non-traited gullibility regarding stories of his grandfather. Keep in mind, too, that he is getting all his information second hand and did not have our first-person perspective. The townspeople are almost all Monophysites, and they also want their late Monophysite ruler to be seen as superior to this new "heretical" upstart. (It is a lot easier to attach glorious deeds to the man once he is dead and less liable to embarrass everyone.) Still, Tesfaye III probably is a bit more naive than his non-gullibility-trait would warrant. Perhaps waking each day as Sennar's ruler is like a blow to the head and leaving him a bit dazed?

@ LordCowles & Machiavellian. He is a Zagwe of Sennar. Great things are in his blood! :)

Chapter 56

69ed49f5aeba7d4e1cee748554ed06b47bb850f39b88c9903d3ef8b4844a6a5d6g.jpg

It was certainly very sporting of the Emir Mamlan to return the royal Byzantine crown for the next ruler. Come to think of it, it was nice of him to let the Impaler wear it in prison.

My new liege, Empress Ioanna. From what I hear she is a ruthlessly efficient ruler. She is hard working, honest, and quite charitable to her friends and supporters. To her enemies and rivals she is unrelentingly cruel and unyielding. She has little interest in matters of war, intrigue, or the finer points of impaling living beings—surprising given her lineage—but proper administration, diplomacy, and above all sophisticated questions of theology are her passion. She has the makings of a good ruler. Perhaps she will push the boundaries of the Byzantine Empire south to rescue Sennar? Who am I kidding? That would be the mistake of a bad ruler. A good ruler will see Sennar for the lost cause it is.

ecb6f9ed6154a47cf690a56fe5bc3d20171b6af2e9bb2286cc82b5adc5170de46g.jpg

By the turn of the year in Jan 1139, there are three douxes and one count that are in open rebellion to my new liege. That is Byzantium at large. In my own county nothing happens other than occasionally someone is assaulted by a surly peasant, a well collapses, or Gelada Baboons need to be chased out of the crops. My blood only beats for action. Living here makes me feel like my arms and legs are made of rope. Why bother do anything?

f088d96530c39a73457efe761064752de76eecaf4941478e942e6486f7ac43496g.jpg

I really have no idea why the troop levels wax and wane as they do.

Another doux rebels in Feb. Then something surprises me and lets a ray of hope pierce the torpid gloom of my dusty surroundings. My marshal tells me that he has made some changes that have revolutionized our war capabilities. We can now raise and support 1,800 soldiers. Already we have 900 available to march. I happily give the command to assemble the forces for fighting as soon as possible… or rather, as soon as my armorer has made some adjustments to my armor so I can fit in it. I had despaired of finding any fine cuisine, of which I have a weakness, in this land, but I find that I have grown very partial to Kitfo, which is minced raw beef that is marinated in herbs, spices, and butter.

a603219b2103ad8de5e3dc93b559b6c7ba9b54080f11cea8fdcea4d5cac8984c6g.jpg

This is the kind of thing in Sennar that drives me crazy. My army begins to march with three highly-incompetent officers heading each column. Who let Kallinikos and Iskinder to lead the flanks? And a dwarf to lead the central column?

0269a4eab0e5c4098facee8e3e464d1ff46960325a24a5c9fcaede7c61ba74ea6g.jpg

I make some needed changes. I fire Steward Laurentios who is excellent at war but average at administration and move the dwarf to that role. Laurentios becomes my general leading the central column and I take the right flank. I eliminate the left column, sending the inept Kallinikos home, bulking up the central column instead. I should wait for the reinforcements that will double our size, but I fear the rebellion will be crushed before we have a chance to prove our mettle. Although if I waited, that would be less time away from tej and kitfo, both of which do not travel well. No, I cannot wait—I have a lot of work to do to live up to the reputation of my warlord grandfather. We will set out immediately and crush the enemies of my new liege.

Once again, Sennarians march to prove their mettle and possibly win some favours with the Empress and taste the finer points of life like pillaging and impaling. Had the old Chancellor Geteye been still alive, he could teach the soldiers one or two things about love as well. This time though, it's not a suicide mission led by cravens and morons so the reasonable chances of success have to be ruined by the will of once again betrayed One-natured God at some point, sooner or later. Considering we're talking Sennar here, the former seems more likely.

Time to live up to Tesfaye's high standard of marching halfway across the world to reach the destination right when the war ends.

And then go home for tej.

Say, did anyone ever think of using the Gelada Baboons as weapons? Now that would make the hosts of Sennar a thing to be feared!

I was laughing so hard reading these that my belly aches. Which is really insensitive I know, considering the tough times the Abyssinian dynasty is going through.
Did you write for Arrested Development? I am absolutely in love with this AAR and hope it goes on for forever. Seriously, marry me!

Yes! The mighty forces of Sennar march again to spread fear and awe in the world. The feared goatherders from....somewhere down south.
Or rather " Ohhhhh, soooo cuuute..." and the leaders will become ill and die patheticaly in some godforsaken mountains.
Whatever, the world will have great adventures to tell of these proud...and rather hilarious folks and a good laugh.
:)

The traitorous rebels will feel the wrath of Sennar and flee before the might of its elite goat herders!!! I´m sure the Empress will convince the Ecumenical Patriarch to create the Holy Order of the Goat Herders after this!! (if only they weren´t Monophysite... :rofl:)
So about 900 light infantry without any techs? That sounds a lot like the standard army of Sennar...

The traitorous rebels will feel the wrath of Sennar and flee before the might of its elite goat herders!!! I´m sure the Empress will convince the Ecumenical Patriarch to create the Holy Order of the Goat Herders after this!! (if only they weren´t Monophysite... :rofl:)
So about 900 light infantry without any techs? That sounds a lot like the standard army of Sennar...

Don't forget the 200 "heavy infantry", aka "Gelada baboons".

"And finally, we have a report that Your Imperial Majesty's southernmost province is sending its entire army to help put down the rebels to Your Imperial Majesty's just rule."

"Ah, Antioch is sending troops? That is good news."

"No, not Antioch, Your Majesty."

"Alexandretta, then?"

"No, actually, it's Sennar."

"Sennar? Where in the name of all the saints is that?"

"I am informed that it is somewhere south of Egypt, Your Majesty."

"Never heard of it. How many troops are they sending?"

"Somewhat less than 1000... mostly goatherders and baboon hunters, it seems."

"Don't bother me with these trifles."

Just finished reading through, awesome AAR so far I really do hope you manage to recapture the old crown!

Whew, what an amazing AAR! Great work!
I was constantly torn between playing and reading (but not for long). I did the latter and had just a little break. Now I will definitely dream of arid murderers, plotting goats and drunken landscapes...
Thanks for that :)

Excellent writing: I was literally glued to my computer monitor last night to catch up the 27 pages worth of postings. It's a brilliant combination of tragic and hilarious comedy. Definitely subscribed.

@ myLAAN. LOL—I like your diagnosis. Also, thank you for bringing up old Chancellor Geteye. It was nice to remember him again.

@ LordCowles. AbYes, and about the Gelada Baboons, Tesfaye III does think about this in this post, indirectly through thinking about the quality of his troops.

@ grumphie. :) I’m glad you like it enough to read through a second time! Thanks!

@ alhoward. Thanks!

@ montecarlo. Thank you, I’m very glad you like it! It may indeed go on for a long time as we are only a hundred years into it and it has been two-and-a-half months in real time.

@ Aardvark Bellay. Thanks! I appreciate it.

@ Gedierond. “Holy Order of the Goat Herders.” I like that! You’re right, though, the heretical character of the goat herders is the fly in the ointment… along with the complete disregard of the empress for all things Sennar. :)

@ alhoward & Rfish12. Yes, no tech whatsoever. “Tactics” to them is a foreign-sounding word to be mistrustful of. And I was surprised to see the heavy infantry. Perhaps Tesfaye III is bringing some contemporary standards to Sennar?

@ richvh. LOL! Your vignette is spot on!

@ Maximilliano & Thandros. Thanks! And the planets aligning and re-capturing the old crown will all depend on the will of the One-Natured God… is that will to torment the bloodline of Zagwe? Or to use all the divine power to ensure that despite the Zagwes’ inept fumblings, there will again be a Christian King of Abyssinia? Only time will tell. :)

@ Fadenpendler & Waringham. Thank you both, I very much appreciate it!

Chapter 57

db51131ed56683c4775edbfd8bc577bdb91256db30bbabba7f93696cc67f78276g.jpg

In a brilliant coincidence of timeliness, my son issues me a call to arms just as my army is heading out of Sennar. While this attack on my son by the Count of Ani, if successful, would only result in the shrinking of my dynasty’s demense by one county, we need to be growing, not shrinking. It makes me uneasy to not be the marshal of Armenia anymore. Now I have to rely on someone else to make the right decisions to safeguard our land given to us by providence with the unexpected deaths of the late Doux and his daughter.

9ded8a5c596dbe51e59e3030c9b2f5aea7e5925e9056dfa1be14322fb7ade42a6g.jpg

This pre-war planning is hard work. I should have some tej. Did we bring any?

Count Kvirike of Ani. Slothful, craven, and now outnumbered three to one, Kvirike should not be too much of a problem. By the time I arrive if there is anything left I can provide the killing stroke. That is, if these Monophysite soldiers actually do fight. I have my doubts. Part of me suspects that they will behave much like the Gelada Baboons here—they can give you a nasty bite if you surprise one or corner it, but if it hears you coming it bounds away for the safety of the hills.

In any case, finally being out on the march again with an army has lifted my spirits. And I have the chance to help secure my dynasty’s fortunes and also prove the martial prowess of my rule.

c012d40cdde70b6fc3b25c9dbd54ed8824644ac6140e0749e9a6b6fc37f58bc76g.jpg

My masterful spymaster has discovered a plot against my family. Georgia of KhorVirap wants to murder one of my daughters. I know perfectly well why she desires this: it was her husband and daughter that died, making my late wife ruler of Armenia. If Georgia can murder Dionysia, my other daughter Alexandra, and then my son the Doux, her own remaining daughter Dionysia Kometopoulos will be ruler over Armenia. This will not happen. Fortunately my daughters are here with me in Sennar, so I can safeguard at least their safety. Georgia is not under direct power, so I send her a small gift to help persuade her and a letter indicating my knowledge of her activities and a request that she desist. The path she is following is very unlikely really, anyway, so she is not too difficult to convince to stop.

c092d12eb1241bea78dc81fc5aea1e932b6e12dfa3b5d4714e5d3bdf788a3ee96g.jpg

Georgia wisely agrees to drop the plot. I will keep my eye on this one. She has tipped her hand.

809a6720c7b6627deef530e76282fee02f573e5ce4d97c3ab7fb65331339d0196g.jpg

My son’s troops defeat the rebel’s army and then marched on the Ani county. It looks like my help will not be needed after all, even though I am now near Byzantine proper. My son’s army is just barely enough to continue the siege, though.

And then, just when it seems that the threat to my dynasty’s line is passing, Georgia begins to rock the boat again. This time it is for keeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.