• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit 2: Your son is dead as well... Looks like my theory wasn't correct after all...

Tesfaye II did seem like the most likely suspect. Given that he hated his father and was himself an Elusive Shadow, I'm really surprised he never did kill Tesfaye Elder. Especially since there were always several potential plot backers available.

I thought your situation was already beyond hopeless but it seems the game himself is against you .The killer must be high at intruigue though , killing a spymaster isnt that easy.Great AAR go on!

Thanks! And yes, the game is against me.

Hmm, I suppose Tesfaye isn't the killer... and Jima is dead, too? Are there any other Zagwes left to continue the dynasty?

I'll post the dynasty "tree", although "tree" is not what it looks like.

This is quickly transforming into a crime story. Nicely done!

Thank you! And good ideas regarding utilizing the princess.

There is nothing else to do than to murder in Sennar. IMHO you should try it as well.

Since his wars have proved utterly useless, Tesfaye really should learn how to advance himself with plotting. Up to this point, however, Tesfaye has not been able to assassinate because his -500 piety is below the minimum (if I remember correctly). In any case, he has been too poor to do it. Plotting to kill someone is still open, but historically everyone has hated him and probably liked any of his potential targets much more.

Jesus, philo, your Zagwes really just can't catch a break, can they? Like Goldensteev, I feel a bit guilty reading about your misfortune as Abyssinia, since my own game there is going...well, much better. If I could offer Tesfaye and his family asylum in my version of Abyssinia, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd even waive the "requirement" to convert to Catholicism!

Seriously, though, you have done a fantastic job writing this AAR in spite of what appears to be an intense hatred towards you from the game itself. I can't wait until you finally get your chance to start your climb back to glory.

Thank you! Interesting that you converted to Catholicism in Abyssinia. Did you also swear fealty to HRE or some other big realm? I have heard someone mention in the forums that Catholicism is useful for Abyssinia later in the game when you can get Holy Orders. But there is that pre-HO part of the game that is difficult. Good job!

You are going to have to give us a summary of your court – who exactly is left alive in Sennar? :eek:

This is a very good idea, and I will happily oblige you today.

This has really been bugging me. I can't seem to find what either of those abbreviations means.

I apologize--RoP is "Rise of Prussia," which is an AGEOD game (now part of Paradox). The games are incredibly rich in detail of the standard military considerations (e.g., terrain, supply, combat, leaders, etc), at least relative to my usual strategic fare.

Chapter 29

19c5c6c363f71d644e72c6be2cde95849c437ede33a0e9587ac024c1f00af5d66g.jpg

acc07273b30ac6ab36cffbc1753e26daa44a8bf0c1f73b273fc2062b6cf3d4b56g.jpg

I let despair get the better of me, and it cost my brother his life. I resolve to set my grief aside and work hard to find the murderer so I… so we can be safe.

Mayor Demissie of Kosti is the next best at intrigue, so I summon him to the castle and tell him he is the next Spymaster. I explain to him that there is a murderer on the loose who kills Greeks and also spymasters who learn his identity. Demissie looks worried and tells me he would prefer to be chancellor. I respond that we all would like to be chancellor, but Spymaster is the position that is open. I remind him that the great county of Sennar needs his abilities and that while a council position does not carry wages, given the inherent danger in this post I will appoint him Master of the Hunt which does have a stipend of 0.02 gold per month. I then dismiss him, asking him to write up dossiers on all the people in my court. He was depressed before he came to meet with me—as he leaves, I can see that his new position has not helped.

In line with our theory that the murderer is targeting Greeks and hence is probably Ethiopian, Mayor Demissie returns the next day with lists of “victims” (I make him add “potential” to that) and “suspects.”

The Potential Victims (Greeks)

ed3bbaf551b9fb6a767590eff5416014b191df21bdf952a9e1efc59101a3667c6g.jpg

Stephaos is the masterful warrior son of Nikodemos and Eudokia, two of the murder victims. Tesfaye III is my grandson.

d5fab5f6f68123ecd4e8191cb756b45dfce4db5ae5471cbb77d6e1833c584fd16g.jpg

Both are children of the murdered Spymaster Anastasios. Demetrios is currently my chancellor. Ioulia was the courtier attacked years ago by Gelada Baboons. Her hatred of me has subsided much since my conversion back to Monophysiticism.

048eb2504502d350a496ce121b5ee6d121cb30f911144dddf14c12cf8ab94e076g.jpg

Anatolios is my steward. Rosa is his wife. She is Bulgarian, not Greek, so we’re not sure she’s a potential victim. She’s certainly not Ethiopian.

0b13d8ca1960a45ee3804c8762ca125c8a6c965e624233e7bb52e12bee1957226g.jpg

Garyphallia is the daughter of Steward Anatolios and Rosa.

40ab5f097a58cae76d122e97c3e0bc93a42c6acb83ce539b0a2337b0e2b96fb36g.jpg

Nikephoros is my marshal, currently nervously planning how I can become a brigand of Europe. Sibylla was my son’s wife. Looks like she did not waste any time in gaining the new ambition of marrying a ruler.

The Suspects (Ethiopians)

98859c54e1aa55878ab4b09a7f3b6d0cb1af7a1f5f2cb0827049374488078bd86g.jpg

Melesse is of course my wife, who is quite close to actually liking me. I really don’t know who Desta is. It is also quite surprising how many unrelated hunchbacks are in my court. (Off the top of my head: Desta, Jima, and Zena.) I am coming to believe there is something wrong with the water.

d405f6dcf26b6d910d1221ce370b3a68492cc4fabb1ee7d3ae6b2308ced7d7036g.jpg

Selassie is my ugly, celibate army general (although Stephanos held that role in the last war, to great distinction). Eremias is my mystical court chaplain. His sister was the one killed by rebels years ago. He is married to the Russian woman Zena.

af5374d0840c796740591b521e732c48348a38f7523b8bc938c594c6368d5fa36g.jpg

I don’t really know anything about Kaleb other than he’s been around the court forever and never does anything. The Russian Zena is interesting in that she is the legitimized bastard of an influential Greek Doux who arrived here with several duchy claims. And here she is in Sennar married to a mystical Ethiopian chaplain. I thought I was doing her a favor marrying her to Eremias, but probably she would have been preferred to be married to some king who could advance her duchy claims. Oh well.

d3eabcfb0faf5da5645aad4efb7ad8cab4a3a33e2e5ca9a78ab015833c4271dd6g.jpg

And of course the lovely Princess Mencía of Leon. And the Bishop Afework of Sinja, who last I heard was busy dying of syphilis.​

I ask Mayor Demissie about the Nestorian lowborn Adrianos, but he seems to have disappeared. And Demissie can’t say when he left. Anastasios or perhaps Jima would have known, but they are both dead. One can only hope Adrianos was the culprit and has fled to cause death and mayhem far away, but I doubt it.

Stephanos would be a good person to question, as his parents were two of the victims. I ask Spymaster Demissie to have Stephanos come to see me at once.

I will cast my suspicion for Caleb is sort of mentally ill - as heard in this song:

[video=youtube;eob9izeo-CU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob9izeo-CU[/video]

Isn't Mercia back home in Spain since her husband is dead? It'd be good to track down lines of your courtiers as someone might be killing for eliminating potential claimants.

I apologize--RoP is "Rise of Prussia," which is an AGEOD game (now part of Paradox). The games are incredibly rich in detail of the standard military considerations (e.g., terrain, supply, combat, leaders, etc), at least relative to my usual strategic fare.

Hey, no need to apologize! Thanks for clarifying. So AGEOD is a company, not an abbreviation? Now I feel stupid! XD

I ask Mayor Demissie about the Nestorian lowborn Adrianos, but he seems to have disappeared. And Demissie can’t say when he left. Anastasios or perhaps Jima would have known, but they are both dead. One can only hope Adrianos was the culprit and has fled to cause death and mayhem far away, but I doubt it.

Stephanos would be a good person to question, as his parents were two of the victims. I ask Spymaster Demissie to have Stephanos come to see me at once.

Disappeared? Hmm... I still suspect Anatolios and Tesfaye II were working together. Very interesting court you have there!

I didn't remember there was a third Tesfaye, but now that I see it I remember the joke about who he was named after. There is hope for the Zagwe dynasty after all! And if you're educating him, maybe he might become monophysite?

What are the proper funeral rites for dead princes of the Zagwe dynasty? Do the peasants throw knuckle bones at the coffin? Or are knuckle bones far too expensive to waste in such a frivolous manner? It would probably be more prudent to throw the dead bodies of your court members at the coffin, really (after stripping them of their knuckle bones, of course).

What are the proper funeral rites for dead princes of the Zagwe dynasty? Do the peasants throw knuckle bones at the coffin? Or are knuckle bones far too expensive to waste in such a frivolous manner? It would probably be more prudent to throw the dead bodies of your court members at the coffin, really (after stripping them of their knuckle bones, of course).

I suspect that in Sennar, funeral rites usually involve searching the deceased's pockets for loose change. And usually finding none.

I will cast my suspicion for Caleb is sort of mentally ill - as heard in this song:

This AAR is now multimedia... Thanks, Athalcor! :)

Isn't Mercia back home in Spain since her husband is dead? It'd be good to track down lines of your courtiers as someone might be killing for eliminating potential claimants.

No, unfortunately for poor Princess Mencía, when married to Jima, Tesfaye became her new liege and that relationship is not affected by Jima's death. And it is indeed a good idea to track down claims, as that is usually why people are murdering each other.

I didn't remember there was a third Tesfaye, but now that I see it I remember the joke about who he was named after. There is hope for the Zagwe dynasty after all! And if you're educating him, maybe he might become monophysite?

Yes, a thin hope left for the Zagwe Dynasty, but still hope. The third Tesfaye is remaining stubbornly Greek, though, despite being almost completely surrounded by Monophysites.

Anyway Lets hope that murderer is found swiftly. OR perhaps there is no murderer and your having really bad luck with your natural deaths.

Yes, these are murders. :eek: Sennar also has bad luck with natural deaths, too. I haven't mentioned some of them because I thought it would overly complicate the murder issue. The old mayor, Abai, died of natural causes at 72, for example. It was kind of a shame not to honor him in some way, as in his youth he was one of the officers in Yemrehana Krestos the Old's war to take back Gondar. Although there have been so many of those wars that it isn't nearly as special anymore.

I read your post and then started doing some research on Ethiopian funerals and got way too carried away with all sorts of interesting things that followed. Unfortunately I ran out of time before I could see how I could fit it in. They wear a lot of white at the funerals, from what I understand. And there is also a religious ceremony that is carried out by burning a huge amount of tinder, the smoke from which is supposed to show where the true cross is hidden. This part is not connected in any way to funerals, but I thought it was interesting.

I suspect that in Sennar, funeral rites usually involve searching the deceased's pockets for loose change. And usually finding none.

LOL... OK, let's have this be the official Sennarian funeral rites.

It makes sense that the state's government would use the pocket lint as emergency funds, though.

And this, too. :)

Chapter 30

96bc5f18e9ae983805059d2a94bc22ddff265011ce796334e734a4bee652cc786g.jpg

I have a strange dream in which I see four Black-Chested Snake Eagles sitting on a solitary tree on a rocky hill. The smallest one has a headless snake writhing in its beak. Wherever the blood from the snake hits the ground, Yadey Abeba flowers began to sprout.

Probably it’s just the stress getting to me.

f66d700d14d1f654421a05a366a4474de8dbc6675ac5478f5f39e31b62c6e9276g.jpg

The combination of getting older and the accumulated tragedies I have endured has finally caught up with me. I look much older now.

My dynasty is shrinking rapidly, so I must take whatever steps I can to ensure its survival. I talk with Chancellor Demetrios about possible bethrothal options for Tesfaye III. Demetrios also reminds me that my sister Genat’s older husband has died. If she could be persuaded to return to Sennar we could arrange a matrilineal marriage, as in her thirties she could still have children. I resolve to write to her soon. I probably shouldn't mention the murders, though.

Just before Demetrios leaves, as an afterthought, I ask him to talk to Spymaster Demissie and have him search through the previous Spymaster Anastasios’ desk to see if anything helpful about the murderer can be found.

d980177235dddb453fbce50124f01d67f76fad228cc1a5f1ffc0917fccc2c6b06g.jpg

Stephanos then comes to see me, as requested. I have always liked Stephanos. He never pretends to be much good at anything other than being a warrior, at which he is a master, and being raised in Sennar he never picked up some of the difficult-to-decipher Byzantine Greek habits. In Sennar, if someone hates you, they walk over and punch you in the face, and you must use your skills at intrigue to figure out why they hate you as they are giving you a thrashing. In Byzantium, I gather, if someone hates you they smile to your face and serve you wine. Then later an assassin tries to murder you while you sleep, and you use your intrigue to figure out which of your “friends” is out to kill you.

This morning, though, Stephanos seems agitated. He tells me that he must confide something in me, something that he wished could remain secret until forgotten. But he must tell me because he desperately wants the murderer of his parents to be discovered and dealt with, and he doesn’t want anything that would be relevant to go unnoticed. He too feels that not only his father, but his mother as well was murdered. While she had been very sick, she had started making a miraculous recovery before she died suddenly.

9fb4cac9b9bd0c2b06acbcde515c5b23a25c9c32c8d85e20a7e7afe63ecdf0576g.jpg

I am excited by this, for it all sounds very promising. He describes how difficult his parents’ relations were after Nikodemos converted to Monophysiticism, while Nikodemos’ wife, Eudokia, remained Orthodox. The secret that Stephanos reveals is that his mother was having an affair with someone. I am disappointed by this revelation. Juicy gossip is interesting, but my priority right now is finding a murderer.

He says that a further tragedy in all this is that when her illness was at its worst, she had said she had a dream about a Monophysite Coptic cross shining light all over her body. When she woke from that dream, her fever had broken and she started making her recovery. She had told her happy Monophysite husband and son that as soon as she fully recovered, she would embrace their religion, as her dream was a sign from God. “I believe that she would have mended her relationship with my father,” said Stephanos, “And then I would have hoped she would have ended her affair.” I was getting tired of the conversation, but I asked, “Do you know who she was having the affair with?” Stephanos said he did not—he had learned about his mother’s affair from previous Spymaster Anastasios, and he had not said. I thanked him for his time and dismissed him.

Anastasios had been a masterful Spymaster. Why had he been wasting his time messing around with issues like this?

5d9effd2b45bfc4e20ad167fdfcec5bd4e3d5aab7a6580cad1cd673ce62a02e46g.jpg

Later Spymaster Demissie dies. Not surprisingly, he has also been murdered.

Later Spymaster Demissie dies. Not surprisingly, he has also been murdered.

He had a good reason for that depressed trait, even more so than everyone else living in Sennar.

My suspicions are still with the steward. I think he and Tesfaye II were plotting together... and now with Tesfaye dead, he has to cover his tracks. Demissie was getting too close!

Holy Monophysite crap, you weren't kidding when you said there were a lot of murders coming up. This is getting riduculous, really. I was hoping for something from Adrianos, but I guess he was just one of those random guys the game throws at you for no purpose.

Hmm... So, there's probably something bigger than just murdering Stephanos' dad involved in this, if the murderer is willing to kill every. Single. Spymaster to keep it hidden. I mean, murder plots are always uncovered and nobody seems to find anything odd in it, so there must be some bigger plot afoot, right?

Thank you! Interesting that you converted to Catholicism in Abyssinia. Did you also swear fealty to HRE or some other big realm? I have heard someone mention in the forums that Catholicism is useful for Abyssinia later in the game when you can get Holy Orders. But there is that pre-HO part of the game that is difficult. Good job!

Well...not exactly. It's more like I converted Abyssinia to Catholicism. :laugh: It's a long story, but basically I wanted to up the challenge of playing Abyssinia by going totally ahistorical and planting a German Catholic on the throne to see how long I could last. If folks are interested in hearing more, I'll find a better place to explain (or maybe even do a historybook-ish AAR!), so as not to hijack your excellent story here, but I'll give a couple of highlights, looking back from the 13th century, where I'm currently at:

• Abyssinia is one of the biggest powers in the Middle East/East Africa, essentially spanning the length of the Gulf of Suez on both sides, plus the Duchy of Oman (we're consistently ranked in the global top ten for army size, although we're nowhere near the numbers of the top five)
  • Both Caliphates are essentially rump states, and Muslim heresies are running rampant in the Middle East where Islam itself hasn't already been wiped out by the ERE, HRE-led crusades, or, most recently, the Mongols (who are still Tengri at this point)
  • My kinsmen have ruled Ireland for two or three generations now, and I have other kinsmen running duchies in Sicily, the HRE, France, England, and Rus'
  • My current king is married patrilineally to the Queen of Norway (which is basically all of Scandinavia), and his heir by her is married patrilineally to the Queen of Poland
  • The entire de jure Kingdom of Abyssinia (and all but a few of its outlying conquered territories) is Catholic, with German culture established in four or five provinces, and spreading
We'll see if things continue to go as well now that the Mongols have arrived. :laugh:

Well...not exactly. It's more like I converted Abyssinia to Catholicism. :laugh: It's a long story, but basically I wanted to up the challenge of playing Abyssinia by going totally ahistorical and planting a German Catholic on the throne to see how long I could last. If folks are interested in hearing more, I'll find a better place to explain (or maybe even do a historybook-ish AAR!), so as not to hijack your excellent story here, but I'll give a couple of highlights, looking back from the 13th century, where I'm currently at:

• Abyssinia is one of the biggest powers in the Middle East/East Africa, essentially spanning the length of the Gulf of Suez on both sides, plus the Duchy of Oman (we're consistently ranked in the global top ten for army size, although we're nowhere near the numbers of the top five)
  • Both Caliphates are essentially rump states, and Muslim heresies are running rampant in the Middle East where Islam itself hasn't already been wiped out by the ERE, HRE-led crusades, or, most recently, the Mongols (who are still Tengri at this point)
  • My kinsmen have ruled Ireland for two or three generations now, and I have other kinsmen running duchies in Sicily, the HRE, France, England, and Rus'
  • My current king is married patrilineally to the Queen of Norway (which is basically all of Scandinavia), and his heir by her is married patrilineally to the Queen of Poland
  • The entire de jure Kingdom of Abyssinia (and all but a few of its outlying conquered territories) is Catholic, with German culture established in four or five provinces, and spreading
We'll see if things continue to go as well now that the Mongols have arrived. :laugh:
Nice. But I think that the fun in playing Abyssinia - besides one of the hardest starting locations in the game - is preserving Ethiopian Culture and Monophysite religion.

Though as this AAR shows quite profoundly, that's basically asking for ones doom^^

Maybe the Mongols could help you? They could attack the Shia Caliphate in the North allowing you to reconquer your lost regions. How much longer until the Mongols may arrive.

How about not having a Spymaster at all?

Yeah, no kidding. LOL

He had a good reason for that depressed trait, even more so than everyone else living in Sennar.

My suspicions are still with the steward. I think he and Tesfaye II were plotting together... and now with Tesfaye dead, he has to cover his tracks. Demissie was getting too close!

Possibly... Maybe... :)

Hmm... So, there's probably something bigger than just murdering Stephanos' dad involved in this, if the murderer is willing to kill every. Single. Spymaster to keep it hidden. I mean, murder plots are always uncovered and nobody seems to find anything odd in it, so there must be some bigger plot afoot, right?

You would certainly think so. I've never seen so many spymasters murdered in all my other games. But this one is cursed, remember.

Well...not exactly. It's more like I converted Abyssinia to Catholicism. :laugh: [...]

An impressive list. Good job! It's interesting to see how folks creatively respond to the "Ironman Abyssinian Challenge."

Nice. But I think that the fun in playing Abyssinia - besides one of the hardest starting locations in the game - is preserving Ethiopian Culture and Monophysite religion.

Though as this AAR shows quite profoundly, that's basically asking for ones doom^^

Yes, trying to preserve both original culture and religion and also surviving is very difficult. Maybe if the Pope quickly called for a successful Crusade in Egypt, that could give Abyssinia space to breathe. Someone mentioned too once using assassinations a lot on Caliphs. That might help. I've never really been good at using assassinations. I don't mind banishing someone and taking the 100% probability of a malus hit, but for some reason rolling the dice with both success and potential malus with assassinations bothers me. It's not logical.

Maybe the Mongols could help you? They could attack the Shia Caliphate in the North allowing you to reconquer your lost regions. How much longer until the Mongols may arrive.

Anything that would weaken the Shia Caliphate would certainly help (as long as it doesn't also take out Byzantium). It's another 100 years until the "Mongols are Coming" pre-invasion event fires.

Chapter 31

799af8c69ec00c2349596a362b97de5c1eb92646970a718a9d491575624d309a6g.jpg

While it would be nice to put some distance between murderous Sennar and myself, journeying across infidel-infested lands all the way the capital is probably just as dangerous and certainly more arduous. I refuse.

3c317e527d4e289613d9f73adb08e63fcf1c5246721756bfa3b55e7941d573a86g.jpg

I'm sorry, sister, once again...

Ganet is excited at the chance to return to her ancestral homeland. Plus she hates her current liege, 12-year-old Orthodox Count Yefimiy. Now I can pair her up in a matrilineal marriage to a nice, fertile husband to try to get a couple of dynasty-advancing kids out of her before she can no longer bear children. Plus it’s nice to have my beloved sister home again, of course.

d821b65dd56ee90c11bde084f21db3122bcae3cdb8b0cb6624ae3c40a51703796g.jpg

After three murdered spymasters, I must ask the marginally-competent Kaleb to do it. I give him the same speech as for Demissie, but in Kaleb’s case it seems to make him excited and eager. Perhaps he tires of a purposeless courtier lifestyle and longs for something to give his life more meaning. Or perhaps he wants to prove himself as above his lowborn beginnings. Or perhaps the man is just plain stupid. In any case, he’s going to take the job, which I was nervous he wouldn’t.

It’s true his intrigue abilities are not amazing, but maybe his more general character will enable him to rise to the occasion: Cruel but just, diligent, a hunter, these things can’t count for nothing in finding a murderer. But who am I kidding; he will end up dead like all the rest. I only hope that the murderer is too occupied in killing my spymasters to go back to killing Greeks.

bed23e9e8a1b404b03041c88d48eb56e9a49eac34c7e42351b755667cea594fe6g.jpg

Vellum, latest in Medieval parchment technology

I had asked Demissie to investigate Anastasios’ office in the council hall, and this was the last thing he ever did. It occurs to me that I should investigate what he may have found there myself. And by “myself,” I mean with three armored guards.

Anastasios office has very evidently been searched, but since there have been two spymaster since he died, I don’t know if it was by one of them or the murderer. I do find Anastasios’ working journal book. It is on a nice vellum paper, which the Byzantine native must have imported with him, as locally we are still relying on the papyrus from Egypt. Unfortunately, the most recent pages, which would have contained anything about the murders, have been ripped out and are not around. While my bored guards watch, wishing they could be somewhere else and bored, I do my own search of the office, but find nothing.

8c442a6e9e41a037aa44d4f216a5138525507c48d6cd7a7a2e13e230bcbf9c3a6g.jpg

As I leave Anastasios’ office, however, Chancellor Demetrios approaches me with some excitement. He tells me that soon after he had given Demissie my message to search Anastasios’ office, Demissie had given something to Demetrios with the instructions to give it to me as soon as he saw me. It was something from Nikodemos' wife Eudokia. Demissie had said it was of vital importance to finding our murderer and would brief me on it later.

Demetrios hands me a bronze cross. I can tell looking at it that it is Byzantine and Orthodox, but there is nothing else that I can figure out. Which is unfortunate as Demissie will no longer be providing that briefing.

Status
Not open for further replies.