+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colony Growth - Tip says %, but seems to be absolute

Corporal
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne

Colony Growth - Tip says %, but seems to be absolute

This is confusing me. I've colonised the Gold Coast (my first "tropical" colony) and I'm only getting 8 colonists/year growth.

Now the growth tooltip says:
    Base: +50
    Innovative vs Narrowminded: +10%
    Tropical: -25%
    No Adjacent Controlled: -5%
    Native Aggressiveness: -22.5%

Now if those figures were really percentages, I make it a total of -42.5%, meaning growth should be just about 27/year , i.e. 57.5% of 50.

But it looks like in actual fact, the figures are not percentages, but absolute numbers, because 8 = 50-42. Is this "works as intended" and simply a display error? Or am I missing something?

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Fairly certain it's just a display error. There are several values in the game which display as % but really aren't.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Could it be that your colonial maintenance is low?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Move your cursor/gauntlet from the word "Growth" to the growth percentage number and read that tooltip; it will provide different information that may explain the situation better.

For example, this should show you the effects of National Focus, presence of CoT, intolerance, neighbor modifiers....

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

No the issue is that all those % values are simply not actually % values. If you have a base colony growth of 50 with a +10% modifier it means an extra +10 people, not +5 (10% of 50).
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)

Lt. General
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

One "little thing" that needs to be fixed with the (final) 5.2 patch

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanteax View Post
    One "little thing" that needs to be fixed with the (final) 5.2 patch
    If that patch is final (from what I have seen of notes). I will burn down the world.

Corporal
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicler View Post
    If that patch is final (from what I have seen of notes). I will burn down the world.
    If you burn down the world, how am I going to play EU3?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurblius View Post
    If you burn down the world, how am I going to play EU3?
    If Heaven exists there will be EU3, and no bugs!

Back from moderation hell midget_roxx's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronicler View Post
    Might be an epic patch

Lt. General
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

A 'final' 5.2 patch does not necessarily mean there will not be a 5.3 or a later Expansion.

5.1 was said to be 'final' too...

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanteax View Post
    5.1 was said to be 'final' too...
    Only in the sense that it was not 'beta' which I assume was how you were referring to the (final) 5.2 as well which was probably misunderstood. I don't think anyone official (or anyone experienced with Paradox patching) would have ever said that 5.1 would be the last patch. In fact I always said that it was almost certainly NOT the last patch unless they did another expansion soon instead as they did after 4.1. As for 5.2, while there are still some issues to resolve the current beta is already a major improvement over 5.1.

Playing EU4

+ Reply to Thread