• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

steevm

Corporal
9 Badges
Jun 11, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • 500k Club
This is confusing me. I've colonised the Gold Coast (my first "tropical" colony) and I'm only getting 8 colonists/year growth.

Now the growth tooltip says:
Base: +50
Innovative vs Narrowminded: +10%
Tropical: -25%
No Adjacent Controlled: -5%
Native Aggressiveness: -22.5%

Now if those figures were really percentages, I make it a total of -42.5%, meaning growth should be just about 27/year , i.e. 57.5% of 50.

But it looks like in actual fact, the figures are not percentages, but absolute numbers, because 8 = 50-42. Is this "works as intended" and simply a display error? Or am I missing something?

Fairly certain it's just a display error. There are several values in the game which display as % but really aren't.

Move your cursor/gauntlet from the word "Growth" to the growth percentage number and read that tooltip; it will provide different information that may explain the situation better.

For example, this should show you the effects of National Focus, presence of CoT, intolerance, neighbor modifiers....

No the issue is that all those % values are simply not actually % values. If you have a base colony growth of 50 with a +10% modifier it means an extra +10 people, not +5 (10% of 50).

5.1 was said to be 'final' too...
Only in the sense that it was not 'beta' which I assume was how you were referring to the (final) 5.2 as well which was probably misunderstood. I don't think anyone official (or anyone experienced with Paradox patching) would have ever said that 5.1 would be the last patch. In fact I always said that it was almost certainly NOT the last patch unless they did another expansion soon instead as they did after 4.1. As for 5.2, while there are still some issues to resolve the current beta is already a major improvement over 5.1.