• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
System Requirements

Minimum system requirements

Operating system: Windows XP
Processor: 800Mhz Pentium III or equivalent
Memory: 256mb
Hard disk space: 750mb
Video: DirectX 8 Capable Video Card
Sound: DirectX 8 Capable Sound Card
DirectX®: DirectX 8

Recommended system requirements

Operating system: Windows XP, Vista, 7
Processor: 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 or better
Memory: 2gb
Hard disk space: 1gb
Video: DirectX 9 Capable Video Card
Sound: DirectX 9 Capable Sound Card
DirectX®: DirectX 9c or higher

Other Info

Majesty Gold HD supports all DirectX versions from 8.1 and up.
It supports 64-bit machines.
It does contain Northern Expansion, but it is just one executable now.

Black Screen Issue on ATI cards

For those of you who are having rendering troubles and on ATI cards, you can try this:

Start up the ATI Catalyst Control Center.
Open the Gaming tab.
Click on 3D Application Settings.
In the Catalyst A.I. Box, check Disable Catalyst A.I.
Press Apply.

Run the game and see if the graphics are now rendering correctly.

You can save the Catalyst settings as an application specific option by pressing the Save button at the top of the 3D Application Settings, while << New Application >> is selected, then search for the MajestyHD.exe in the Steam install folder.

Once it is saved, you can turn the Catalyst A.I. Back on, and press Apply, but do not press Save, you don't want to overwrite the MajestyHD application settings. Just to make sure, you should take a look at the Application Profiles section and double check that MajestyHD.exe still says the Catalyst A.I. Is disabled.

The problem is with the Drivers on a few ATI cards. Hopefully ATI will update these drivers at some point.

Windows 7 - Windowed mode

When running in Windowed mode (-w), under Windows 7, you may see a message that the color scheme has changed. This is normal, Microsoft's DirectDraw API is not compatible with Windows Aero and it is automatically disabled by the operating system while a DirectDraw application is running.

Black Screen Issue - Direct Draw Disabled

If Direct Draw (part of DirectX) is corrupted or has been turned off by another program you will only see a black screen with Majesty running in the background. To see if Direct Draw is working, click the Start menu, select Run, type dxdiag, click OK, then select the Save All Information button. Open up the resulting text file and search for DDraw. The DDraw Status should be Enabled.

If DDraw is Disabled then you need to find out what program on you machine is turning DirectDraw off, follow Microsoft's instructions to fix Direct Draw, or reinstall DirectX.

Last edited:
Black Screen Issue - Video Card Driver Problem

There are some known issues with a few Direct Draw video drivers. We have seen this on the hybrid Intel/NVIDIA video chipset that is in some Dell laptops for example. The first thing to do is update your video drivers and make sure Direct Draw is running (see above). If you are still seeing a black screen with the game running in the background then try one of the following two options:

1) Add the following command line options -useddblit -blitmovietobackground

For Steam users:

In the Steam Library section, right-click in Majesty HD Gold and select Properties...
In the General tab of the game's Steam Properties, click the "Set Launch Options..." button.
In the Launch Options edit box, add in: -useddblit -blitmovietobackground
Then press Ok.

For Everyone else:

Right-click the Majesty HD shortcut icon (the icon you use to start the game) and select Properties.
In the Shortcut tab add -useddblit -blitmovietobackground to the end of the Target field.
The Target field should now look something like this: "C:\Program Files\Majesty Gold HD\MajestyHD.exe" -useddblit -blitmovietobackground

Or

2) Go to your My Documents\My Games\MajestyHD folder and edit MajXPrefs with the Notepad application. Change the BlitMode entry so its value is 1 and change the IntroVideo entry so its value is 3.

Trade Routes Quest Bug

Using Market Day in the Trade Routes quest causes Caravans to crash into the castle, making the quest unbeatable. The solution for now is to avoid using Market Day in this quest. This bug has been noted for a fix in a future release.